• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: I Guess It's Back To YouTube For Kimbo...

91 posts in this topic

From ESPN.com...

EliteXC tells employees, fighters it's out of business

The parent company of the EliteXC mixed martial arts circuit is closing its doors for good, according to multiple reports.

Kimbo Slice was seen as the future for EliteXC. Now, it appears EliteXC's future is bankruptcy.

Sherdog.com reported that according to T.J. Thompson, an executive at ProElite Inc., he was informed that the company would close for good this week and would file for bankruptcy protection. And Sports Illustrated, on its Web site, reported that ProElite told its employees and fighters on Monday that it was shutting down, effective immediately, according to multiple sources.

Sherdog also reported that according to numerous sources, an EliteXC card scheduled for Nov. 8 in Reno, Nev., has been canceled. According to the report, Joey Villasenor, who was scheduled to fight Robbie Lawler for the circuit's middleweight title on the card, was informed Monday it had been scrubbed.

ProElite did not return calls seeking comment, according to the reports.

The shutdown follows an EliteXC card televised by CBS on Oct. 4, in which the circuit's biggest star, Kimbo Slice, suffered a 14-second TKO at the hands of a relatively unknown last-minute replacement, Seth Petruzelli. That bout is under investigation by the Florida State Athletic Commission, following comments Petruzelli made after the fight suggesting that he had been promised monetary incentives to trade punches with Slice, rather than employ a more technical game plan.

Showtime Networks, which owns a 20 percent stake in ProElite, on Sept. 17 filed a notice with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission announcing its intention to enter negotiations to purchase the company outright.

But SI.com reported that according to a source inside ProElite, those negotiations failed and ProElite's funding disappeared, forcing it out of business.

Jim

That bout is under investigation by the Florida State Athletic Commission, following comments Petruzelli made after the fight suggesting that he had been promised monetary incentives to trade punches with Slice, rather than employ a more technical game plan.

I thought they merely offered him a knockout bonus? This would, of course, give him an incenitve not to pursue grappler type moves that are boring.

Too many people tripping on their stories and a few calls to the FSAC prompted the investigation.

And it isn't surprising EliteXC has collapsed with poor ticket revenues, low ratings, and their enormous fighter payroll. From this last televised fight Kimbo and Arlovski received $500G each.

It is too bad that the company is closing and leaving their talent to look elsewhere, they were starting to build a good stable of talent. Maybe Showtime will be able to buy out the company and turn the promotion around. (shrug)

No more Gina Carano :sorry:

f10.jpg

This is too bad. Other than Kimbo, the fighters were pretty good. Looks like it is time for the UFC to scoop up a few fighters. Maybe create a women's division in the WEC for Gina Carrano?

Edit: Designer Toast, you know that isn't Gina, right? IIRC it is a Gracie.

This is too bad. Other than Kimbo, the fighters were pretty good. Looks like it is time for the UFC to scoop up a few fighters. Maybe create a women's division in the WEC for Gina Carrano?

Got a name? Sure looks like Gina to me. If it isn't, I want to see her fight Gina...in a ring of Jello :insane:

Got a name? Sure looks like Gina to me. If it isn't, I want to see her fight Gina...in a ring of Jello :insane:

It is Kyra Gracie

http://femalemixedmartialartists.blogspot.com/2007/03/mma-kyra-gracie.html

Would love to see Shields in the UFC.

Yup Sheilds is tough. I wonder what the betting line was on the Kimb fight because I wouldn't be surprised if he took a dive and a bunch of guys made out like bandits. MMA betting has surpased boxing in terms of volume of bets placed so if you can't make a go of it on the pay per view side and the business is about to tank then why not make it the easy way.

Kimbo will land in some other organization, he is still a freak show as people will still come watch him fight just out of sheer curiosity.

This is the second piece of good MMA-related news I've heard today.

The first? Rachelle Leah is in Playboy's November issue. :luhv::banana:

Rachelle%2BLeah%2BFHM%2Bphotoshoot%2B(4).jpg

It is Kyra Gracie

http://femalemixedmartialartists.blogspot.com/2007/03/mma-kyra-gracie.html

Someone get a match maker for these two :luhv:

The EliteXC was garbage I thought from day one. So too is Affliction. I could care less if they are partnered with Golden Boy; they will be next to file chapter seven. Both don't market and run their company. Dana White (who is the in man by the way) knows how to promote and that is why he is so successful. Why would he want to take any of the EliteXC fighters; they all suck including Kimbo Jimbo Slice. His was beaten on YouTube. In reference to Gina no doubt she is good looking, but I HATE HATE HATE female fighting; its just garbage that I have zero interest in. She will have no problem getting a column or something in FHM.

CC