• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOLY @#$&*!!! Complete ASM #121 Original Art

32 posts in this topic

Wow...Spidey and original art lovers, check out this new gallery that Mike Burkey (aka "Romitaman") put up online from his personal collection, featuring the complete story to ASM #121:

Amazing Spider-Man #121 Complete Original Artwork

(No, I don't own this, though I truly wish I did!)

Gene

I don't know the backstory to it as I just read about it...Mike Burkey is a well-known dealer who is a Spidey-fanatic (hence his "Romitaman" moniker). Anyway, he posted on a comic art list this morning that he owns the complete story to ASM #121 and that he just put it up online for display. Not sure if he's owned it for a while or if it was a recent acquisition. I do know that the story was not put together page-by-page, as it had been kept whole (according to another dealer).

I can only imagine how much this would fetch at auction... 893whatthe.gif

Gene

Cool Thread. What do you think the cover would sell for.

I'm no expert at Romita ASM prices, and it's hard to tell with the one-of-a-kind nature of these things, but considering that the not-so-special cover to ASM #80 just sold for $25K, I'd guess maybe $50K, plus or minus $15K? From what I've seen and heard, there's a decent amount of primo pieces out there that sell between $15K and $30K (e.g., Miller DD 168 cover reportedly worth around $30K according to Wizard in their Dave Mandel (the owner) profile; Steranko SHIELD #1 cover selling for $17.6K within the past couple of years; Byrne X-Men #113 cover selling for $30K a few years back), but anything above $30K and I think you're dealing with a very limited number of buyers, so the potential for price variability is probably pretty high. I don't know...$50K seems expensive, but then seeing how an X-Men #1 CGC 9.4 (1 of 3 in grade with 3 copies graded higher, including a 9.8) will fetch close to that amount, maybe I'm off and the price is even higher? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd be more curious to see how much the 20-page story would fetch at auction. My wild guess is that it would average out to something like $10K-$15K per page (i.e., $200K-$300K). I would be shocked if it brought a penny less than $150K.

Gene

The ASM 122 cover traded hands last year and the price was reported to be 60K. The 122 interior is broken up and in the hands of several collectors. A splash page to that book sold for 30K. I have heard that Mike has turned down ridiculous offers for his 121 book.

The ASM 122 cover traded hands last year and the price was reported to be 60K. The 122 interior is broken up and in the hands of several collectors. A splash page to that book sold for 30K.

Thanks for the info, Stephen. Sounds like I'm probably not too far off in my estimates, then - I'm pretty sure the #122 cover (a full-blown battle splash) would command a higher value than the #121 cover, so my $50K guess on the latter probably seems about right if the former sold for $60K. And if the last page splash of #121 commanded a similar $30K price, I think $200-$300K for the 20-page story seems about the right blended value.

Gene

Just curious - does this art work fall under the foolish investment/collectible category from your other thread?

Absolutely. But, given that I don't want to hijack my own thread, I'll post my reasons why (including some new arguments) in that other thread shortly.

I would hope that anyone shelling out multiple 6-figures for this artwork has enough sense to only do so if he or she can truly afford it and is not relying on price stability or appreciation to meet their investment objectives. That said, it is a truly mind-blowing collectible - as far as pure comic art goes, I'm not sure it gets any better than this in my book.

Gene

Wow, that is a killer reinterpretation!

I found his website...check out this awesome reinterpretation of ASM #121!

ASM #121 Cover Reinterpretation by Giorgio Comolo

Very nice and, at $1,200 for a massive 17"x22" commission, much more affordable than the original. grin.gif

Gene

These are nice and all...but how is it exactly that he can make money of Marvel characters?

I did notice that on his web site, he's disabled all the mouse-right click features, and placed a "copyright" notice/watermark on all his images. I'm not sure what that is all about, and to be honest, I am a bit surprised at his usage of "copyright" on characters which are not his own.