• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marketplace Clichés...

342 posts in this topic

I'm gonna start hyping all my books by saying "Free pie with every purchase"

hm

What kind of pie??? :devil:

:insane:

Anyone see waitress?

(thumbs u

it's off to CGC and "if it doesn't sell here it's off to eBay" :pullhair:

I always hold off then...because 99% of the time you get it cheaper there... :applause:

Jim

99% of the time I get more... :P

I'm gonna start hyping all my books by saying "Free pie with every purchase"

hm

What kind of pie??? :devil:

:insane:

Anyone see waitress?

(thumbs u

I never really appreciated how hot Keri Russell was before then.

:gossip: Get in line.

Quoting GPA for raw comics - What's the point? It's still raw...

1) I agree on GPA for raw. If the book is raw, then quoting GPA does not seem fair. You can ask for whatever price you want to when raw, but I think quoting GPA does not make sense.

This is the one that ticks me off the most. If you want to quote GPA, get it slabbed first.

:boo:

If the graded is accepted as accurate by a potential buyer, it shouldn't matter. GPA reflects the values of a given book in a certain grade. This can be applied to graded or raw books, if both grades are accepted by the potential buyer. Certification affects liquidity more than true "value".

2) If it doesn't sell here, it's off to CGC. I agree and disagree. I've used this sparingly, and I have to tell you, it works. Most of the books that I have posted this on have all sold. Now, I do think I'm a fair grader -- and yes, of course there are books I'm sure I overgraded, but many that come back higher from CGC. For the gambler mentality, many buy my books on the low end and submit and get higher. So essentially, people can buy it before it gets too high. It's not meant to appeal to people who want the book and just are going to keep it raw -- it's those who want to submit.

I see it as a form of unneeded/undue pressure that somehow I'm going to be influenced by your threat. Personally I don't really give a damn what you're doing if the comic doesn't sell. And the fact you're placing some kind of condition to it not selling just turns me off with dealing with that comic or any other you are offering in the thread...

3) Same thing. If you aren't a presser, telling someone it may be pressable is irrelevant. I think you'd be shocked at just how many buyers are interested in the pressability of books here on the boards and are getting books pressed. A lot of them are under the radar but that is a selling point. I don't personally press... but I have sold literally thousands of dollars worth of books based on the fact that most know all of mine haven't been worked on... and if they were so inclined... could press them up (on some).

Actually I can see that...but if you need to add that to sell the comic then I might suggest you're trying way to hard to the point of alienating some who might be interested...

Jim

I always hold off then...because 99% of the time you get it cheaper there... :applause:

Jim

But you're an eBay god...we're talking about the majority of sellers on Ebay... :grin:

Jim

Jim

But you're an eBay god...we're talking about the majority of sellers on Ebay... :grin:

Jim

:acclaim:

I agree!. Though I may have used that in the past to show how tough it is to find a certain book in high grade. Will no longer do that, if I ever did.

"If it doesn't sell here, it's off to CGC" - Who cares? If it doesn't appeal to me now at your price, it's not going to in a slab....

I do this because I like showing our fellow board members that I am giving them 1st shot. I like the community aspect of the boards and I have met new people by doing this.

"May be pressable" - OK, so?

I get books pressed, so I like when someone does this. I do not state that in my sales.

"Never see it in this grade" - Well...yeah we do. We don't see it at the exact moment you're offering it. Give it time...it'll definitely show up somewhere...usually cheaper...

I have seen many books and when I do see one that is hard to find or hard to find in a grade that I am offering, I use my knowledge to sell the book and help people learn.

"CGC was tough on this when it was graded" - Then resubmit it and not attempt to have others do so on your word. It is what it is...

Agree! Crack it out and sell it raw if you think it is a different grade.

I am sure most of us are guilty of these and others, but I also think that there is nothing wrong with adding a "little colorful" quote or 2 to make the post even more enjoyable or interesting for those that know nothing about the book being offered.

If the graded is accepted as accurate by a potential buyer, it shouldn't matter. GPA reflects the values of a given book in a certain grade. This can be applied to graded or raw books, if both grades are accepted by the potential buyer. Certification affects liquidity more than true "value".

Sorry, but that's just BS.

I don't care if you set the price similar to GPA level, but the term "GPA" has no valid reason to be used to hype/sell a raw comic. GPA tracks CGC certified books and ONLY CGC certified books, and has no data on raw sales.

Next up, people will be using the Beckett Card Guide to price coins.

1) I agree on GPA for raw. If the book is raw, then quoting GPA does not seem fair. You can ask for whatever price you want to when raw, but I think quoting GPA does not make sense.

This is the one that ticks me off the most. If you want to quote GPA, get it slabbed first.

:boo:

I agree. For more common books it does not matter but higher grade books and tougher to find books whether raw or slabbed will always sell for *GPA* type prices if graded properly and sold by a reputable seller.

GPA may only track graded books but the buyers making these sale prices real are generally collectors who are willing to pay for a book in a given grade.

Since there is no real rule of thumb for *multiples of guide* as every book will vary most savvy buyers will use a variety of references when looking to buy a book.

Try to buy a key, high grade or tough to find book at guide from someone who knows what they are selling. You won't. GPA may be a recorded sale of CGC books but it also happens to reflect what many books are selling for in a given grade whether [accurately graded] raw or CGC.

R.

2) If it doesn't sell here, it's off to CGC. I agree and disagree. I've used this sparingly, and I have to tell you, it works. Most of the books that I have posted this on have all sold. Now, I do think I'm a fair grader -- and yes, of course there are books I'm sure I overgraded, but many that come back higher from CGC. For the gambler mentality, many buy my books on the low end and submit and get higher. So essentially, people can buy it before it gets too high. It's not meant to appeal to people who want the book and just are going to keep it raw -- it's those who want to submit.

I see it as a form of unneeded/undue pressure that somehow I'm going to be influenced by your threat. Personally I don't really give a damn what you're doing if the comic doesn't sell. And the fact you're placing some kind of condition to it not selling just turns me off with dealing with that comic or any other you are offering in the thread...

3) Same thing. If you aren't a presser, telling someone it may be pressable is irrelevant. I think you'd be shocked at just how many buyers are interested in the pressability of books here on the boards and are getting books pressed. A lot of them are under the radar but that is a selling point. I don't personally press... but I have sold literally thousands of dollars worth of books based on the fact that most know all of mine haven't been worked on... and if they were so inclined... could press them up (on some).

Actually I can see that...but if you need to add that to sell the comic then I might suggest you're trying way to hard to the point of alienating some who might be interested...

Jim

Listen, I totally get some of the points you are making, especially on #2, but I have to say, I don't think you're the target audience. But again, if you're gambling on books, it really does impact for some the sale of the book. I don't know why, but it does. You may not give a damn, but someone else does, and they see it as an opportunity. If you really are going to send the book to CGC -- well... then for some sellers, that actually is important.

On the pressing thing -- you can't see the defects many times from a scan, so you actually have to verbalize that you think the book can be pressed to entice someone who might do it. Again, I hate to say it Jim (and I'm not saying this from a personal standpoint and it's certainly not directed at you specifically), but I don't think anyone cares if they alienate the people who don't press or are anti pressing. Many spending the "big bucks" are the people looking to profit through pressing. I guess what's being said is, they can live without you buying or looking.

Again, I value everyone that buys, but I do accept the reality that I have about 8 or 9 really solid consistent buyers who are spending very, very large sums, especially over the year, and you have to cater to your buyers.

Sorry, but that's just BS.

I don't care if you set the price similar to GPA level, but the term "GPA" has no valid reason to be used to hype/sell a raw comic. GPA tracks CGC certified books and ONLY CGC certified books, and has no data on raw sales.

Next up, people will be using the Beckett Card Guide to price coins.

Nooo. Given the premise that a buyer agrees with the grade of a raw book makes GPA applicable. CGC does not make a book more valuable. Their assesment of a grade is just accepted by a larger audience.