• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEW PAC COAST TOS BOOKS ON CGC GALLERY

28 posts in this topic

CHECK THEM OUT

TOS 43 9.6

TOS 48 9.8

TOS 50 9.6

TOS 45 9.8

TOS 59 9.8

TOS 46 9.8

ABSOLUTELY UNBELEIVABLE!

i remember seeing the pac coast tos run advertised- i think it was in a CBM issue-at a then very steep 3x guide for individual issues ( i think), i cant remember all the grades but whoever bought the run, and i believe the entire run was bought, would be VERY happy if they had kept the books!

I wonder if the whole Fair Market Value thing to determine slabbing costs had anything to do with these grades...hmmm..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I reiterate my point from another thread, I've submitted at least a dozen books that were genuine 9.6-9.9 over the last couple of years, and yet never cracked a 9.4. I'm still a big supporter of CGC, but I know the books I send in can't get any better then past submissions....so what does a guy have to do? confused-smiley-013.gif

Aside from my bitter sign-rantpost.gif , those TOS are indeed gorgeous.

can u pls post some of these 9.4 books u thought shouldve got a higher grade??

Can't...they've all been traded or sold off. They weren't anything special, again, just common late 60s or early 70s Marvels....but they were all from unread collections and were as close to perfect as can exist. I hand-picked only the best for submission. My grading scale doesn't go higher then NM+ 9.6, and I am a very tight grader, so I know it wasn't me. I think a lot of it has to do with CGCs subjective grading when it comes to relative scarcity (i.e., a rare golden age book will get the biggest benefit of a doubt, followed by early Silver and so on....).

I don't think there's any sort of a bias.. honestly. I've sent in dozens of books and seen a lot of greggy's as well and the worst you can really say is that some 9.4s look like 9.6s and that some 9.6s look like 9.4s, etc. All in all, I think that's a compliment to their grading, really. It's very rare that they appear more than one notch off (that action 1 2.5 being a prime example) and that can happen to ANYONE. The books you sent in probably just weren't nice enough to crack 9.6. The deceptive thing about the cgc holder is that REALLY high grade books actually look nicer out of the holder - you see that hint of a stress mark when the book is encapsulated but you don't see the positives, like blinding gloss, vibrant colors, etc.. those positive attributes are muted by the holder much more so than the negatives are. So you may be sending in books that to you look as nice as 9.6s that - aren't...

Dan

You're still in denial...just because you will never have them doesn't mean you wouldn't still like to own them! sorry.gif Keep the desire dangling out there as a motivator to seek out the golden real estate deals in your area. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I don't think you're reading what I'm writing. I wouldn't want to own one due to the high cost of buying it. This is the same reason why I don't buy 9.8's, the price multiples are simply TOO high for what you get.

Of course it'd be cool to own one. But it won't happen for me due to the aforementioned pricing structure. And if I did come up with one, it'd be sold. Due, once again, to the high price multiples!

Brian

actually, Murph, read your original post.

You said you "wouldnt want to own one".

Clearly you (and all of us) want to OWN them, but not to pay what it now costs to own them.

So what you meany wasnr what you wrote, thats all.

Should have said: "Id never buy one but Id love to own them."

More killer books with the new label, and tough books to boot.

I'm starting to wonder how many un-slabbed gems are really out there.....

I wish there was a census report for pedigreed collections...for many of them it's known the nice copies are out there in collections but haven't been slabbed. Examples include the early Western Penns and the Curator Fantastic Fours.

Has anybody seen any Pacific Coast Fantastic Fours? I can't remember ever seeing more than one or two...nor have I seen any Northland or Boston Fantastic Fours other than the Northland FF #1 CGC 8.0 Harley Yee sold last year.

For Pacific Coast FF's, I've seen #61 and #100, and both were 9.6's, #75 which was a 9.4, and #50 which was a 9.2.

For Northland, I've seen #44 and #47, both 9.4's.

And for Boston, the only one I've seen was #46 in 9.6.

heritage sold a ff 50 cgc 9.2 pac coast

there is also a ff 50 cgc 9.4 which i once owned

PCEI had the run of ff's on their site from about #70-100 but not earlier numbers

the owner of the curator ff's which are apparently as amazing as the spideys the godfather owns has no plans on slabbing them i believe