• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farscape is going to make me buy my first modern since early 90's

7 posts in this topic

Okay. So I'll admit I don't understand new comics and variants or anything like that. But I (and particularly my wife) am interested in the Farscape comics that'll be coming out in a couple of months. A couple of questions.

1. Is this the kind of comic I'd be able to likely go to my LCS and just pick-up or am I going to have to pre-order it? Is there any benefit to pre-ordering other than a guaranteed comic? Is it cheaper/more expensive?

2. There are some variant covers (1 in 25 I think). How do I get one of these? How much will a LCS owner mark-up said variants?

3. Any other advice I may need in entering this brave new world?

Okay. So I'll admit I don't understand new comics and variants or anything like that. But I (and particularly my wife) am interested in the Farscape comics that'll be coming out in a couple of months. A couple of questions.

1. Is this the kind of comic I'd be able to likely go to my LCS and just pick-up or am I going to have to pre-order it? Is there any benefit to pre-ordering other than a guaranteed comic? Is it cheaper/more expensive?

2. There are some variant covers (1 in 25 I think). How do I get one of these? How much will a LCS owner mark-up said variants?

3. Any other advice I may need in entering this brave new world?

1. Dont know anything about the comic. Id go ahead and pre-order it though. Depending on the store, they will give you a small discount. Invincible isnt too popular here, and they get 3 copies each issue, so I pre-order mine. Talk to the owner. See if he plans on ordering 25 copies. If he would reserve the variant, than awesome, but most places are first come first serve. If you want to GUARANTEE yourself a copy, id suggest pre-ordering 25 copies of Farscape and asking him to sell you the variant for cover since buying 25 regulars..

2. My LCS usually prices their variants on their ratios. ie If comic is 1:25, they will price it at $25. Even when they do this, there is no strict price for the variant so my LCS easily comes off their asking price by 10-25%.

Hope this helps

In this case, I would suggest you try and pre-order it through www.dcbservice.com

The reason I suggest this is that they allow pre-order on variants. They set a price on those that is generally quite competitive with LCS prices and you only need to buy the regular cover and the variant. The downside is that shipping will be $5.95 but to me that's worth the cost for peace of mind re: making sure you get what you exactly want. My 2 ¢.

A place to pre-order variants? hm Genius

For example, this past month, the AVENGERS INVADERS #7 (OF 12) FERRY VARIANT which is a 1-in-25 variant (same as the Farscape) was available to order for $16, the regular version priced at $2.99 could be ordered for $1.79.

So your total is $16 + $1.79 + $5.95 = $23.74 versus

Ordering 25 copies @ 2.99 and getting the variant that way at a cost of $74.75. Even if the LCS gives you 20%, that's still $59.80 and you have to pay tax on top.

Sounds to me that dcbservice beats that.

Of course, you can hope to get the variant at the LCS for $15 also but 1) I don't know how LCSs price variants and 2) there are no guarantees you would receive / be able to purchase the variant.