• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PHINALLY!!! (ot)

86 posts in this topic

Looks like they are destroying the town as far as my news said.

Well then your news is dead wrong. They had one store looted/vandalized and about 70 arrests, of which, more than half were for misdemeanors (disorderly conducts etc.)

Police here noted it was surprisingly calm and they were expecting worse.

If you compare to LA and Detroit, this was nothing. And comparatively, it was much worse when the RNC was here a number of years back (I remember as I was a DA back then).

The news loves to show the one shop that got vandalized (which was a disgrace) and the few cars turned over, but overall, an extremely orderly celebration. Even those cleaning up the next day said it was pretty normal (compared to a new year's eve).

Check out www.philly.com

I'm very emotional right now.

After 25 years of "Heart & Soul" Phanatic support for all 4 Philly teams (since their last championship in '83)... and with more than a few serious heartbreaks during that quarter century (and before in '80 for all teams but the Phillies)...

[font:Impact]

It PHINALLY happened again!![/font] :headbang:

...and it happens on the 13th Anniversary of the death of my late best friend Michael C. Dechnik who was the type of "All In" Philly Phan that suffered losses, "ironically"... like the death of a friend. Sometimes, I could not get him on the phone for 2-3 days after a seriously disappointing loss as he needed time to get over it. Me too, on almost as many.

I have an open bottle of Rolling Rock beer next to his photo right now. It became his preferred beer during any game after seeing the movie "The Deer Hunter".

It's so odd how sports teams can "matter" in such a seemingly ludicrous, indescribable way to some of us. I guess it's the time spent wearing your heart and emotions on your sleeve along with your fathers, families and friends.

It's been such a tough last 2 years for me personally in so many ways and I had to leave the bar shortly after the final out because I was the only one weeping like a little wuss.

I feel like my whole body just got an enema... sort of.

Thanks Mike! :angel:

I really need to take Ginko doh! ...

I know most won't care much about this particular aspect of my post, but I visited Mike's grave today to pour a Rolling Rock over his headstone in celebration of the Phills win (which I did and drank one too) and noticed he died in 1995. hm

Apparently, I forgot >again< that I am 43, not 44. I knew he died when I was 30. As such, I thought it was the 14th Anniversary of his passing,

BUT... I should have known it was actually the 13th. It figures. lol

My lucky number comes into play again. :headbang:

I think that is an excellant post and I am sure you friend was waving his towel from Heaven above! :cloud9:

Looks like they are destroying the town as far as my news said.

Well then your news is dead wrong. They had one store looted/vandalized and about 70 arrests, of which, more than half were for misdemeanors (disorderly conducts etc.)

Police here noted it was surprisingly calm and they were expecting worse.

If you compare to LA and Detroit, this was nothing. And comparatively, it was much worse when the RNC was here a number of years back (I remember as I was a DA back then).

The news loves to show the one shop that got vandalized (which was a disgrace) and the few cars turned over, but overall, an extremely orderly celebration. Even those cleaning up the next day said it was pretty normal (compared to a new year's eve).

Check out www.philly.com

Exactly, Philly gets a bad wrap sometimes.

Maybe the sports announcers and newspaper column writer (especially LA) can get some new material than the same old dry stories they keep regergitating over and over that doesn't even make sense anymore.

1. Yes we booed santa claus, that was like 20 years ago, get over it

2. Yes we threw a battery at JD Drew, get over it

3. Yes we eat cheese-steaks, come eat some

4. Yes, we are passionate fans that are tuff on are players when they perform poorly, thats how all cities should be :baiting:

5. Yes we get upset when fair-weather cities win championships and the fans can't even name 5 players on their team. :frustrated:

6. Yes we just won a B-Ball WS- Philly Fans! ^^

Oh yea I also seem to remember when Boston won their WS in 2004 or whatever a FAN got trampled to death because of the celebration, Philly didn't even come close to that kind of non-sense.

John

Ahhh, the Speedline :cloud9: - Ashland Station anyone - Lindenwald???? My High School (Sterling for any South Jersey folks) didn't even call our homes when we skipped school on that day - 14 years old and off to Philly!!! fun times - And 83 wasn't too bad either sitting at the Vet in left field as the Sixers came in !!!

Sterling! :o Proud graduate of Haddon Township here. Just don't ask what class. :tonofbricks:

Our speedline stop was Westmont.

Eh, watching the news I watch (cahnnel 10) they said there was a lot more damage than that. Cars overtirned, etc.

70-100 insufficiently_thoughtful_person fans don't represent the couple million of great Normal Philly Fans! :baiting:

Dude, what is reported on the news and what is seen personally are two different things. I was at the stadium Sunday and it was nuts. My buddy was there Wednesday and saw it first hand. believe me, not everything made the news.

regardless, it is still standing, so I suppose it is not that bad.

Now, go Sabres!!!

Dude, what is reported on the news and what is seen personally are two different things. I was at the stadium Sunday and it was nuts. My buddy was there Wednesday and saw it first hand. believe me, not everything made the news.

Now, go Sabres!!!

Now, go Sabres!!!

Now, go Sabres!!!

Now, go Sabres!!!

Please stop posting the same post. :baiting:

I can remember like yesterday when I went to the 1980 parade. - This one had a little sad tinge for me. My step-dad passed away yesterday (also a life long Phillies fan - at the age of 76 - We were able to watch the Division Series and Championship series together, but by the time the series wound around, he was in a very bad state - I still tried to make sure the game was on in the background - While he was unable to communicate, he still managed a smile when I told him about the insane happenings of the game 5 delay - I was unable to be there with him when game 5 finished, but my brother took my place and had the game on - In my heart, I believe he knew.

Hey Dad, I love you and miss you - Go Phillies!!! :luhv:

I'm really sorry man :(

I totally feel you... Bittersweet victory, but all the more important to savor.

I offer you a virtual toast to your dad and my friend Mike who couldn't sit beside us to enjoy it. :angel:

Thanks Ares...

I'm taking my daughters out of school and to the Parade on Friday.

I hope it will remain an awesome memory for them when I'm gone... seeing their Dad (almost) as happy as the day they were born.

It will be my first parade too.

I was not allowed to go in '80 with the Phillies and '83 with the Sixers.

Our high school principal was actually waiting at the Philly end of the speedline in '80 taking names and handing out suspensions for all the lucky kids who were allowed to cut school.

lol

Whats the Speedline?

Hi-Speed Train Rail... Public Transportation

Ahhh, the Speedline :cloud9: - Ashland Station anyone - Lindenwald???? My High School (Sterling for any South Jersey folks) didn't even call our homes when we skipped school on that day - 14 years old and off to Philly!!! fun times - And 83 wasn't too bad either sitting at the Vet in left field as the Sixers came in !!!

Eastern High School for me... but I was not able to attend in '80 and '83. Today was my first... with my daughters and it was something I will remember forever. I'll postr a few pics later. I also know the girls will too when I'm no longer combing the Earth for perfect Bronze comics.

Thanks Bronze for the kind words - I appreciate it. I was unable to attend the parade because I now live in Tampa - I know a Phillies fan in Rays country - but I do like the Rays as well - they just never seemed to be able to get in going in the series but were a fun team to watch this year.

Oh and thanks for the toast - my beer is already chilled and ready to start walking the daughter around the neighborhood for tricks and treats - sure wish one of those folks giving out comics were in my area!

We (me, my wife Alissa, and my friend Pam) went the the parade today. There had to be 2 million people there. It was more people than I've ever seen in one place. Our original plan was to take the train from the suburbs to downtown, but the trains were full and passing the stations by without stopping. So we decided to drive into the city. Pam works there and pays for a spot in a private garage, so we were all set for parking.

The parade was scheduled to start at noon, but we got downtown by 10:15 or so. We headed to Reading Terminal Market and got some crepes for breakfast. Then we headed towards the parade route.

We found a spot right across the street from the Kimmel Center. People lined the parade route 20 deep. A few had climbed trees. Office windows were open, and confetti was falling. We saw two guys arrested for fighting in the street, but that was the only trouble we saw all day.

Then cam the parade itself. It was led by a long caravan of police cars, bicycle cops, and mounted police. Then came Pat Burrell on a horse-drawn Budweiser wagon. Pat looked thrilled, just genuinely happy. He was clapping and pointing at individual fans. I think he was talking to some, but I couldn't hear him. He was very excited.

That was followed by the Phillie Phanatic's float. He was strutting his stuff as only the Phanatic can do. The crowd loved him.

Then came the float that carried Charlie Manuel, Mayor Michael Nutter, and the World Series trophy. This float stopped right in front of us for about a minute, and Charlie was laughing and point to the fans. Mayor Nutter just kept lifting the trophy over his head so everyone could see it.

After that came the float that had a ton of stars. We had good views of Cole Hamels, Brett Myers, and Brad Lidge on our side, but on the other side we caught glimpses of Ryan Howard and Chase Utley.

After the floats went by, we tried to take the subway down to the stadiums where a friend was waiting for us and had tickets to get into Citizen's Bank Park. But by this time the public transportation system was completely overwhelmed. We decided instead to get some lunch. Most places were packed. We ended up walking about 8 blocks west before we found a place that had a relatively short wait. After some good pizza, we headed home, proud of our Phillies, and looking forward to next season. Thank you, Phillies!

Here's some pics:

Stilt guy, waving a homemade Phillies flag.

IMG_4712.jpg

Pat Burrell, riding the Budweiser wagon.

IMG_4720.jpg

The Phillie Phanatic, doing Phillie Phanatic stuff

IMG_4722.jpg

Charlie Manuel (far left), Mayor Michael Nutter (lifting trophy), and champagne!

IMG_4727.jpg

Cole Hamels (with fist raised) Brad Lidge (center, wearing red), and Chase Utley if you look real hard.

IMG_4740.jpg

Looking South on Broad St...

IMG_4748.jpg

...and Looking North on Broad St

IMG_4749.jpg

Me and my friend Pam...

IMG_4751.jpg

...and my wife Alissa!

IMG_4752.jpg