• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PHINALLY!!! (ot)

86 posts in this topic

They will get no congrats from me. I hate them more than I hated the Braves :o .

Danny

Phillies Hater

Danny, I will have a WS Phillies T-shirt for you at the Big Apple. :devil:

I don't know if this made the national news but Tim McGraw sprinkled some of Tug's ashes on the mound before game 4. How cool is that?

I went to two of the 1980 NLCS games between the Phillies and the Astros (for my money the greatest playoff series ever, even though the wrong team won :cry: ). Tug McGraw was the funniest, coolest player on the field. Before the games he would hang out on the railing chatting with fans and doing all these cool tricks with a baseball. I will never forget him standing flat footed and throwing baseballs straight up in the air trying to hit the top of the Astrodome. The balls would come straight back down into his glove AND HE WOULD NEVER MOVE HIS FEET!

And now this year the Phillies win with Brad Lidge. Congrats to Brad!

You guys get Lidge, we get Ed Wade...man, that hardly seems fair. :(

I don't know if this made the national news but Tim McGraw sprinkled some of Tug's ashes on the mound before game 4. How cool is that?

I went to two of the 1980 NLCS games between the Phillies and the Astros (for my money the greatest playoff series ever, even though the wrong team won :cry: ). Tug McGraw was the funniest, coolest player on the field. Before the games he would hang out on the railing chatting with fans and doing all these cool tricks with a baseball. I will never forget him standing flat footed and throwing baseballs straight up in the air trying to hit the top of the Astrodome. The balls would come straight back down into his glove AND HE WOULD NEVER MOVE HIS FEET!

And now this year the Phillies win with Brad Lidge. Congrats to Brad!

You guys get Lidge, we get Ed Wade...man, that hardly seems fair. :(

Yea, it’s a shame Lidge choke for you guys and with us he is a Godsend.

I would have to say Brad Lidge is the best closer we have ever had.

48 for 48 is amazing!

Has the city burned down yet? Looting?

I know people were screaming in their yards last night in my neighborhood and lighting off fireworks.

Surprisingly calm all things considered in Philly. Despite the rep, Philadelphia did much better than a lot of other cities.

:golfclap:

Will this exorcise the ghosts of Mitch Williams and 1993? :baiting:

We have exorciseeeeeeeeeedddddddd the demons! :devil:

Philly still loves Mitch Williams, he is radio host on our am sport talk radio show. :luhv:

We have exorciseeeeeeeeeedddddddd the demons!

Philly still loves Mitch Williams, he is radio host on our am sport talk radio show. :luhv:

I still love game 4 and the 15-14 collapse :popcorn:

(thumbs u

It's 2008....not 1993 anymore :gossip:

Plus Pat Gillick made good because he can now say the city who he beat in 1993 now he won with in 20008. (Blue Jays 1993 and Phillies 2008)

Plus Pat Gillick made good because he can now say the city who he beat in 1993 now he won with in 20008. (Blue Jays 1993 and Phillies 2008)

Will it be another 28 years for the next one? You're due for another Superbowl :luhv:

Will it be another 28 years for the next one? You're due for another Superbowl :luhv:

Not sure, but I only ask that I get to see my eagles win one superbowl and I will be happy for the rest of my life.

I don't need a dynasty just one ring!

That loss was particularly tough Greg and the turning point in the series.

I've come to accept that team's loss on another level... too many were cheating (on "roids") and thus they had it coming so to speak.

Mitch Williams however got a raw deal in my view... it was a good pitch. End of story. It was also the moment and situation... a homer winning the series. Will anyone vilify any of the Rays pitchers that gave up key hits/homers? Probably not, even though they were crucial situations.

That said, this thread is not about reliving past Philly heartbreaks or dumping on them...

it's about...

[font:Impact] Celebrating the Phantastic 2008 Championship![/font]

Let us enjoy our moment it "could" be another quarter century before it happens again.

I went to two of the 1980 NLCS games between the Phillies and the Astros (for my money the greatest playoff series ever, even though the wrong team won :cry: ).

I totally agree (although I admit to bias as a Phillies fan). In a 5 game series, 4 of the games went into extra innings. And you had Steve Carlton and Nolan Ryan going for each team. That NLCS series and the ensuing World Series made me into the diehard fan I am today.

I'm very emotional right now.

After 25 years of "Heart & Soul" Phanatic support for all 4 Philly teams (since their last championship in '83)... and with more than a few serious heartbreaks during that quarter century (and before in '80 for all teams but the Phillies)...

[font:Impact]

It PHINALLY happened again!![/font] :headbang:

...and it happens on the 13th Anniversary of the death of my late best friend Michael C. Dechnik who was the type of "All In" Philly Phan that suffered losses, "ironically"... like the death of a friend. Sometimes, I could not get him on the phone for 2-3 days after a seriously disappointing loss as he needed time to get over it. Me too, on almost as many.

I have an open bottle of Rolling Rock beer next to his photo right now. It became his preferred beer during any game after seeing the movie "The Deer Hunter".

It's so odd how sports teams can "matter" in such a seemingly ludicrous, indescribable way to some of us. I guess it's the time spent wearing your heart and emotions on your sleeve along with your fathers, families and friends.

It's been such a tough last 2 years for me personally in so many ways and I had to leave the bar shortly after the final out because I was the only one weeping like a little wuss.

I feel like my whole body just got an enema... sort of.

Thanks Mike! :angel:

I really need to take Ginko doh! ...

I know most won't care much about this particular aspect of my post, but I visited Mike's grave today to pour a Rolling Rock over his headstone in celebration of the Phills win (which I did and drank one too) and noticed he died in 1995. hm

Apparently, I forgot >again< that I am 43, not 44. I knew he died when I was 30. As such, I thought it was the 14th Anniversary of his passing,

BUT... I should have known it was actually the 13th. It figures. lol

My lucky number comes into play again. :headbang:

Looks like they are destroying the town as far as my news said.

huh?

In a city of 2 million:

- one car set afire

- one store broken into

Reports are that the celebratory problems were similar to those incurred on New Year's Eve.

Friday is the parade, and the whole tri-state area is likely to turn out. They had about a million celebrants at the last Phillies one in '80, and this time so many people are expected along the parade route that the schools along it will be closed.

I can remember like yesterday when I went to the 1980 parade. - This one had a little sad tinge for me. My step-dad passed away yesterday (also a life long Phillies fan - at the age of 76 - We were able to watch the Division Series and Championship series together, but by the time the series wound around, he was in a very bad state - I still tried to make sure the game was on in the background - While he was unable to communicate, he still managed a smile when I told him about the insane happenings of the game 5 delay - I was unable to be there with him when game 5 finished, but my brother took my place and had the game on - In my heart, I believe he knew.

Hey Dad, I love you and miss you - Go Phillies!!! :luhv:

Thanks Ares...

I'm taking my daughters out of school and to the Parade on Friday.

I hope it will remain an awesome memory for them when I'm gone... seeing their Dad (almost) as happy as the day they were born.

It will be my first parade too.

I was not allowed to go in '80 with the Phillies and '83 with the Sixers.

Our high school principal was actually waiting at the Philly end of the speedline in '80 taking names and handing out suspensions for all the lucky kids who were allowed to cut school.

lol

Whats the Speedline?

Hi-Speed Train Rail... Public Transportation

Ahhh, the Speedline :cloud9: - Ashland Station anyone - Lindenwald???? My High School (Sterling for any South Jersey folks) didn't even call our homes when we skipped school on that day - 14 years old and off to Philly!!! fun times - And 83 wasn't too bad either sitting at the Vet in left field as the Sixers came in !!!