• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Off-Topic: Speed up your broadband service!

27 posts in this topic

I only got a little over 1200 kb on a dsl modem (I got 1302 on the Missouri one tongue.gif ). I'm hoping I can get much more going with cable next month smile.gif Supposedly, I am in a "rebuild" area, which can possibly translate into getting close to T1 or better connection speed.

I only got a little over 1200 kb on a dsl modem (I got 1302 on the Missouri one tongue.gif ). I'm hoping I can get much more going with cable next month smile.gif Supposedly, I am in a "rebuild" area, which can possibly translate into getting close to T1 or better connection speed.

A T1 line is app 1.54 mbs. I am getting close to that now on my DSL (1.2MBS). I won't switch to Cable Modem because it is a shared line while my DSL is - well - my DSL.

But other DSL users may get a lot less - depends on how far form the CO they are. But I tell you - 1.2MBS is sweet and is pretty much as fast as I need (actually faster than I need) at least for my current perusings.

*** edited to replace "pretty kuch" with "pretty much" - sheesh - but then again - it IS POV. frown.gif

A T1 line is app 1.54 mbs. I am getting close to that now on my DSL (1.2MBS). I won't switch to Cable Modem because it is a shared line while my DSL is - well - my DSL.

But other DSL users may get a lot less - depends on how far form the CO they are. But I tell you - 1.2MBS is sweet and is pretty kuch as fast as I need (actually faster than I need) at least for my current perusings.

I would'nt exactly call a DSL line and a T1 Internet connection anywhere near the same. A T1 is 1.54 Mbp/s up AND down; it's a symmetrical speed. You may be approaching the same speed down, but try running a mail/web server with any traffic at your 128/256k upload speed.

Just my .02.....

But other DSL users may get a lot less - depends on how far form the CO they are. But I tell you - 1.2MBS is sweet and is pretty kuch as fast as I need (actually faster than I need) at least for my current perusings.

I would'nt exactly call a DSL line and a T1 Internet connection anywhere near the same. A T1 is 1.54 Mbp/s up AND down; it's a symmetrical speed. You may be approaching the same speed down, but try running a mail/web server with any traffic at your 128/256k upload speed.

Just my .02.....

Yes - you are correct - I was approaching from my main use - 95% dl - 5% ul. That was a fault on my part. But my feeling is that the majority of folks here use DL a heck of a lot more than ul. But still, that does not find me "not guilty". sorry.giffrown.gif

My DSL line boasts 1.46+ Mbp/s (download), at any given time, with a 1.2 Mbp/s upload. The central office (CO) is located 100 feet from my house. Proximity to the CO is what dictates the performance your broadband speed is likely to deliver. Granted, anything over a 1.5 km range from a CO might give you poor upload speeds, but I have yet to see any DSL within a 1.5k range give such poor upload speeds (128/256k); I have only ever seen ISDN or Satellite broadband services with upload speeds that low.

My DSL line boasts 1.46+ Mbp/s (download), at any given time, with a 1.2 Mbp/s upload. The central office (CO) is located 100 feet from my house. Proximity to the CO is what dictates the performance your broadband speed is likely to deliver. Granted, anything over a 1.5 km range from a CO might give you poor upload speeds, but I have yet to see any DSL within a 1.5k range give such poor upload speeds (128/256k); I have only ever seen ISDN or Satellite broadband services with upload speeds that low.

Perhaps you've never heard of oh, Ameritech's DSL Service ? It's capped at 128k upload; I had the service for a few days so I should know.

Earthlink's DSL service is 1.5 down and 128k up.

Netlink offers 512/128 ADSL speeds

MFI offers 512/128 ADSL speeds

I would say you haven't looked at many commercial DSL packages out there if you're not familiar with the 128k upload... makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifsumo.gif

Missouri Speed Tests

** Speed 2087(down) kbps **

Cable Modem over Atlantic ooo.gif

From Finland http://www2.cc.utu.fi/adsl/nopeustesti/ (3.85Mb test file)

Your current bandwidth reading is:

4.65 Mbps

which means you can download at 595.79 KB/sec. from our servers: cloud9.gif

Btw those speed fixes from Rickdoggs link really work.

I downloaded them a year ago: before my max DL was around 300KB/sec now its 600-650KB/sec.

Perhaps you've never heard of oh, Ameritech's DSL Service ? It's capped at 128k upload; I had the service for a few days so I should know.

Earthlink's DSL service is 1.5 down and 128k up.

Netlink offers 512/128 ADSL speeds

MFI offers 512/128 ADSL speeds

I would say you haven't looked at many commercial DSL packages out there if you're not familiar with the 128k upload... makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifsumo.gif

It sounds like your well on your way to being a spokesman for substandard DSL service! tongue.gif

Thank you, thank you, thank you! smile.gif

Your post got me to looking at my DSL agreement. I was paying for 384 - 1.5 throughput but was only getting about 300. I tweaked the settings to no avail. Then called SBC (my DSL provider). They removed a block on my line and I'm now getting 1.2 meg downloads. Oh yeah! thumbsup2.gif

By the way, here is yet another site with a bandwidth test:

http://www.2wire.com

I like it because the name is easy to remember (plus their test is fast.)

That test was fast! I did multiple tests & got between 1400 to 2100Kbps. Is that fast? confused.gif

Yup...that's fast enough! 893applaud-thumb.gif