• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Treasury Comics

213 posts in this topic

Here's a couple of interesting pics found on the web...

DC Treasury counter display box.

DCdisplaybox2.gif

The HJ Ward ('Spicy' pulp covers) "Superman" painting hanging on the DC office walls, 1941. The painting published on Superman C-31. And a HJ Ward pulp cover.

carroll%2Brheinstrom.jpglce_C-31.jpg

spicy_mystery_stories_193605.jpg

Here's a couple of interesting pics found on the web...

DC Treasury counter display box.

DCdisplaybox2.gif

The HJ Ward ('Spicy' pulp covers) "Superman" painting hanging on the DC office walls, 1941. The painting published on Superman C-31. And a HJ Ward pulp cover.

carroll%2Brheinstrom.jpglce_C-31.jpg

spicy_mystery_stories_193605.jpg

That looks like the Batman (DC C-44) cover on the other side in the pic with the counter display. I have the Whitman DC Supes vs Ali display, and that display functionally worked as the original box for the 12 issues. I may have missed this in translation, but is the HJ Ward pulp relation with the Supes painting (same artist)?

I may have missed this in translation, but is the HJ Ward pulp relation with the Supes painting (same artist)?

Yes, same artist. (thumbs u

I think the historical link from Pulps to "Detective Comics" to Treasury Edition cover is kinda facinating.

"...the main reason National Allied Publishing wasn't destroyed by debt is that the businessmen Harry Donefeld and Jack Liebowitz entered a partnership with Wheeler-Nicholson, and later, when Wheeler-Nicholson quit, took control of the company. Donefeld and Liebowitz were also responsible for the introduction of "Spicy Detective Stories","Detective Comics" from which the name DC comes, and later, Superman."

Boy, I loved these as a kid. I've got quite a few of these shown plus many more. (But no scans, sorry.) I have a few of the Famous First Editions like Dect. 27 and All Star. I liked the DC Villians ones and Superman Vs. Wonder Woman was the first I can remember buying as a "collector" on the newsstand. I loved the Conan ones.

I ended up buying Life Magazine bags to put them in. When I re-examined them prior to bagging them a few years ago, I found that I had overgraded most of them from my youth. Most of mine are in Fine to VF with some VG and some NM. But, as a kid, I loved reading them and those covers couldn't always take that. lol

My least favorite were the movie tie ins. I have Close Encounters and I think I have Star Wars but they didn't do much for me. (I'll take the movie watching any day over the comic format.)

(I just got done with a lot of Accounting homework so this is refreshing to post for a bit. lol )

At one time or another I have owned most of these. Never did get the Avengers treasury or the first Conan one, though.

What happy memories that first Spider-Man treasury brings back, just gazing at the cover! I read and re-read that thing for hours, poring over the pictures, wondering who all the characters were that I didn't recognize from the inside front cover.

The first Fantastic Four treasury, too, was an awesome comic to own back in the day. What a way to be introduced to the Silver Surfer and Galactus!

1974 was a heck of a year for alternate comic book formats: Treasuries and Limited Collectors Editions; Marvel Giant Size; DC 100-Pagers....