• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spidey 14 crash coming???

120 posts in this topic

Among the non-BSDs and BSD-wannabes, he's gotta be the undisputed king.

I don't agree with clobber that you should stop analyzing market variables, but since Storms popularized the term BSD, and since clobber has made Bob's BSD list before...that makes him an officially certified BSD! acclaim.gif

How can you tell me that I overpaid for the art...when you don't even know how much I paid for it?

Well in all fairness Gene, if Tom thinks 10K is overpaying then it doesn't matter what you paid for it, since any five figure number will meet his definition of overpaying, right?

Anyway, talk about a tempest in a teapot. Who knew that GI Joe 21 art could arouse such heated debate? insane.gif

Geee. Maybe I should have named this thread "GIJoe 21 crash coming"

Im gonna have to check this book out after all these Modern collectors raving about it.

But, Gene, I have to agree with much of what Murname was saying, even knowing that he has been on the outs with many posters since I got here. You can spend your money on anything you want...of course you can. And especially discretionary income, what ever that amount may be for you or anyone else.

But rich as you are or may be, dont expect anyone to believe that you wouldnt be "______" (you fill in a word that expresses your chagrin at the evaporation of a large % of the money you spent on the artwork ; Im not going to pick one since you got upset at Toms use of "sting" to describe it). You seem to take it as saying youd be financially ruined, or be faced with a lifestyle change as a result "Eat cat food?".

That's not it. Just that youd feel "______" at having used the money on something so fleeting in value, not in your heart since I am convinced you love this comic book so much... but as someone who works with money and understands investing, etc. how can you not feel " ______" at having squandered so much for so little?? Isnt that what you caution everyone else here to avoid, buying with heart not head???

Also, I would believe you when you insist that you werent truly 'investing' so much $$$ if you didnt feel compelled to insist/defend that it is "One of the most valuable books in the Modern era." If that's true, and you believe it to be true, this sure sounds like a shrewd 'investment' to me! Dont collectibles and artwork described as such always increase in value?

Oh yeah, they do until they skyrocket to unheard of heights suddenly in a feverish marketplace. (I think thats your argument about SA comics right?) Seems you might have bought at the top, my friend.

If you bought Peter Porker pages which absolutely nobody cherishes or dreams of becoming valuable someday..... then I'd totally agree you were only buying art you love!

No offense to Peter Porker collectors.

Don't you NYC boys have anything else to dwell upon besides BDs? Aren't there some reruns of Queer Eye you can go watch?

leave the queer eye out of this, i'm sure all you boys can learn something from them. 893naughty-thumb.gifmakepoint.gifforeheadslap.gif groom yourselves, especially your nose hairs! 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

That's not it. Just that youd feel "______" at having used the money on something so fleeting in value, not in your heart since I am convinced you love this comic book so much... but as someone who works with money and understands investing, etc. how can you not feel " ______" at having squandered so much for so little?? Isnt that what you caution everyone else here to avoid, buying with heart not head???

Actually, that has never been my point. I'm all for someone buying with their heart instead letting their head give them hare-brained get-rich-quick in comics schemes...with the caveat that you only spend money you can afford to lose 100%. That means no taking on credit card debt, borrowing money, going on long-term payment plans, spending money that you need for basic necessities or forsaking a sensible savings and investment plan (as I've stated before, I know for a fact that there are people committing all of these sins).

And what is this "squandered so much for so little" part? Maybe it's little to you, but it's not to me. If the external market said this artwork was worthless, it wouldn't make me any less proud to own it. It has tremendous nostalgic and sentimental value to me - it's an awesome book, regardless of its valuation, and it was published within the first year or two of when I started collecting seriously. If Tom Murnane can't understand that I paid this money for the love of this piece (with money that was sitting in the bank and readily available to spend) then I pity him. I buy NO artwork for investment purposes. I only buy what I enjoy, which is usually a lot of stuff that other people don't collect.

As for Joe #21 in particular, let me reiterate: I wouldn't feel embarrassed, stung, unnerved or otherwise disturbed in the least if the price went to zero. How can I be perturbed if something goes to zero that I'm already assuming has no value when calculating my investment holdings? confused-smiley-013.gif Why would I be embarrassed? If I bought a new dinette set and it broke a few years later, would I be embarrassed? Of course not, because the dinette set wasn't an investment and I wasn't expecting to earn an investment return on it. Same with the Joe #21 art.

Again, this artwork was in NO WAY, SHAPE OR FORM an investment. Who is Tom Murnane to even begin to suggest otherwise, even going so far as to say that "it's clear" that I'm clandestinely engaging in comic investing? For someone who admits to barely knowing anything about me to think that he knows my motivations and intentions better than I do is prime facie ludicrous.

Gene

Bob - glad you found time to join the party. Truly my fave NYC dude. Was wondering about the jacked up price on that Hulk 1 8.5 you have for $15,000 or whatever. Is that the same copy Josh had for several months that finally sold for $11,000? And Deliverance was surely filmed in Atlanta and I am sure there are some boys up there that would say you have a pretty mouth. Maybe you could bring supapimp along in your canoe?

Bob - glad you found time to join the party. Truly my fave NYC dude. Was wondering about the jacked up price on that Hulk 1 8.5 you have for $15,000 or whatever. Is that the same copy Josh had for several months that finally sold for $11,000? And Deliverance was surely filmed in Atlanta and I am sure there are some boys up there that would say you have a pretty mouth. Maybe you could bring supapimp along in your canoe?

sign-offtopic.gifhi.gif

Robert Ignorant Zipperer, I like that RIZ the Ripper. For those who don't know RIZ the Ripper is now the Pricing Ignorant GURU (PIG) of the boards. Claims to know who I buy books from without ever checking his information. Josh's 8.5 was a cream to offwhite copy. RIZ the Ripper, this copy has offwhite to white pages. I purchased it off the winner of the Incredible Hulk Upper Deck Trading Card contest. Should my offwhite to white copy sell for the same price as a cream to offwhite copy?

You are definitely the life of the party, keep up the good work!

Gene,

Just curious.

The Joe #21 cover: Will you ever contact Zeck for a cover re-creation of that one to go with your interior pages? Or would you try to track down the original? Or do you even have any interest in the cover?

As I said - just curious. I've never really pursued the idea of the complete interior of a book, but if I had the opportunity to obtain the interiors of a book I really enjoyed, I'd do it. Congrats to you - I hope you enjoy the artwork! thumbsup2.gif

HighVoltage,

I was actually considering getting Zeck to do a recreation, but then I was informed that he's not the original artist! Seems I was mistaken about that. There are two sets of initials on the cover...the first set (the penciller's?) is illegible to me, and the second (the inker's?) looks something like "KRJ" (Klaus Janson?) Does anyone know who pencilled the cover?

Owning the cover would be a nice bonus, but its absence is not a big deal to me. It's rare enough for the entire interior of a book to be together, rarer still to have the cover included as well (I think it's more the exception than the rule to have a truly complete book). I suspect the original cover would cost at least a few thousand dollars and, for that kind of money, there are other things I would rather own (or just keep the cash).

Thanks for the kind words (you, too, Mephisto44). thumbsup2.gif

Gene

The Grand Comics Database says that Hama was the penciller and Janson did the inks! shocked.gif

You know, I think you're right! That does look like an "L" and "H" with some middle initial in between... thumbsup2.gif

Gene