• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Off-topic, but hey it's my birthday.

28 posts in this topic

Hey, it's my birthday!!! Fifty one shocked.gif and counting backwards from now on.

On another note, I had quite a shock today. I'm kicking back, taking a day off from work, celebrating my birthday. Then my wife goes to pick up my 13 year old son from school. He's not there! Some quick calls to his friends and we find out that no one has seen him at school that day. PANIC! My wife corners the principal and they start making calls. I make a couple of other calls and verify noone has seen him since he walked out the door this morning. Now we are REALLY panicked. I'm on the phone with the police, my wife is melting down in the principals office, while the principal is frantically making some calls. It's now about an hour and a half after school is over and finally the principal hits pay dirt calling a bus driver on a cell phone. My son is on a field trip and won't be back for another hour! AAAIIIEEEEEH! He gets home an hour later and I just about crush him with a hug when I see him!

Moral of the story: HUG YOUR KIDS!

My kids have been in bed for a couple of hours now. I've already walked in 3 times just to check on them. I'm so jazzed I can't even think about going to bed. I've been typing like a madman on the forums and I've been listing books as fast as I can on eBay just to take my mind off this!

You mean the principle didnt know there was a field trip going on withought calling people?

What kind of half arsed principle is that.

It's complicated. My son takes advanced classes at the high school in the afternoon. So he gets bussed over there after lunch from the 8th grade center. The field trip was an 8th grade field trip so the high school principal really didn't know anything about it (huge school system, big separate schools). The 8th grade lets out before high school, so we were caught in the transition where everyone was gone from the 8th grade center, but they weren't home yet. The principal at the high school was actually quite helpful. He stuck with my wife long after his quitting time and called a list of emergency contact numbers until he finally figured out where my son was.

This was a case where the permission slips for the field trip were signed months ago all the way back at the start of school and we had forgotten about it. My son just assumed we knew about it when he left that morning so he didn't remind us. Lessons learned: Make sure our wall calendar is up to date and teach our son to remind us about this sort of thing. (My son is a stereotypical absent minded genius type. [Got 1330 on his SATs when he was 12 years old! [Proud Dad]].)

Anyway, things are calming down here at Chez Buchanan. We're all cleaning house like demons. Family is all coming in for a visit for the traditional Thanksgiving feast on Thursday - my Mom and Dad (82 and 89 and still going strong living on the farm where they've been the last 60 years), my wife's Mom, my Sister and Brother in Law, and Nephew.

I have much to be thankful for this year. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. smile.gif

Happy Birthday!!!!!

Only 8 months behind you, and catching up fast!!!

Best wishes,

Phil thumbsup2.gif

Fifty ain't so bad! smile.gif I'm reminded of a classic line from the movie 'Middle Age Crazy'. The guy just turned 40 and he's talking to his dad. The dad says: "Forty - that's nothin! Now 60 - that's the sh%ts!"