• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Bronze Age Artist EVER

41 posts in this topic

If you want to talk about non-original art, then just crack open some of those Ditko Machine Man books. He blatantly copied his ASM work, even to the point of duplicating entire pages.

If possible could you site some pages and the spidey pages he swipe them from. it would be interesting,I've never noticed or heard that before. Thanks

If possible could you site some pages and the spidey pages he swipe them from. it would be interesting,I've never noticed or heard that before. Thanks

Sorry, I don't have my MM copies handy grin.gif, but there are an absolute ton of riffs on his ASM work, especially the "office scenes" between MM's human-like alter-ego and the girl he's pining for.

It looks like Ditko just replaced Peter and Betty's heads and left the art and scenery as-is. It's pretty blatant.

Im not sure if they were "swipes" as in he got out his old Spideys and copied them. I always got the feeling that Steve Ditko, as amazing as he was on Spidey and earlier horror work, just could not do better or more than weak Spidey looking pages by that time. He just cranked them out.

And lets face it, working for Marvel again after how he was treated (or felt he was treated if youre a Stan Lee guy) couldnt have been very good for his enthisiasm level!!

Frank Robbins Invaders is the worst art I can remember

Though that's tough to beat, I still think his Captain America work ranks up there with the very worst.

Check out the Twilight Zone perspective on this beauty:

robbins_1.jpg

And what I feel is the WORST Beast rendition EVER!:

robbins_2.jpg

This may be slightly sign-offtopic.gif, but none of the artwork you guys are mentioning is even remotely horrid as John Romita Jr.'s current artwork on Amazing Spider-Man, which makes these other guys' artwork look like Michelangelo or Rembrandt by comparison.

Gene

I think we better stay with Bronze age. If we go Modern with the current splash page crazy drek I can keep this thread going for hours. Speaking of which , what artist or artists changed their drawing style for the worst? JR2 has been mentioned, I peeked at Starlins short tenure on the new Thanos and that is drek. Heck almost all the artists from the 70's are turning out Shi7

This may be slightly sign-offtopic.gif, but none of the artwork you guys are mentioning is even remotely horrid as John Romita Jr.'s current artwork on Amazing Spider-Man, which makes these other guys' artwork look like Michelangelo or Rembrandt by comparison.

Gene

I happen to own 2 Romita Jr. pages, and enjoy his art. So I guess I'll have to start looking for Romita Jr experts on the Comicart board so I can copy and paste posts and start new threads justifing my purchases. Or I can do nothing since your opinion is just that, an opinion. No need to defend my purchases. I guess my skin is not quite as thin as yours........

Glad to hear I'm not the only one... tho' some really bad JRJr stuff was on the Avengers Maximum Security fill-in (Avengers V3 #35).

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Speaking of which , what artist or artists changed their drawing style for the worst?

Herb Trimpe without a doubt.....

Hulk #172: grin.gif

hulk172.jpg

And this from the early '90s.....FF Unlimited #2: 893whatthe.gif

trimpe.jpg

Trying to keep up with the Image crowd was a bad mistake.....

Jim

That bottom picture's embarassing...Herb "rob-L" Trimpe! Herb's art changed sooo much over his Hulk run, with the inkers having a lot to do with it. Abel inked that Hulk 172 art, and the Abel/Trimpe run is great, but the few issues he did in the 200+ range were rather forgettable.

You know....I was really excited when I first heard Trimpe was going to pencil FF Unlimited (I consider him the definitive Hulk artist/Sal a close second). Went to the comics store to get my issue. Grabbed the issue...opened it up and literally couldn't get pass the first couple of pages.

It's a pretty crashing revelation when someone who you previously respected churns out sewage like that.

Jim

Gene

I happen to own 2 Romita Jr. pages, and enjoy his art. So I guess I'll have to start looking for Romita Jr experts on the Comicart board so I can copy and paste posts and start new threads justifing my purchases. Or I can do nothing since your opinion is just that, an opinion. No need to defend my purchases. I guess my skin is not quite as thin as yours........

I also enjoy JRjr's art, so you're not alone. And there's no way in hell you can say JRjr's art is worse than Trimpe or Robbins. You've gotta be blind in one eye and not be able to see out of the other....

I must echo others' comments that I remember Herb Trimpe as being the worst. There may have been a couple that did even more horrid work, but he's the one that sticks out in my mind. I wonder if he was just an untalented guy who worked hard or if he was just lazy and never tried very hard to do good work?

I hate books like Amazing Adventures 11 that are major keys, but then you open them up and the art is just beyond bad. Iron Man/Sub Mariner is another one like that where the interior art casts a gloom over the entire book in my eyes.

As far as JR Jr. goes, I don't love his work on Spider-Man, but it is somewhat stylized and doesn't detract from my enjoyment of that book. The boring writing is what drove me away.