• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Making Sense of Trimming

131 posts in this topic

I think it is a mix of both. I wouldn't even want a PLOD that had been trimmed as part of the over all restoration process. I am not comfortable with the removal aspect of trimming.

Furthermore, I see it as underhanded. I think that is the why you are after. Most sellers that have engaged in undisclosed trimming have left such a bad taste in collectors mouths that many will just not stand for it.

All undisclosed modifications should leave a bad taste in collectors mouths.

Pipe down sh*t disturber. :makepoint:

Once it becomes apparent that undetectable trimming leads to higher grades and mo' money, then trimming will become accepted, and even celebrated. Trim everything you have right now, I say!!!

I don't care if it is undetectable. It isn't right.

:applause:

It is destruction of a book, plain and simple.

Unlike pressing where nothing is added, or color touch or tear seals where something is added to restore it to its previous condition, trimming is attempting to create the illusion of a previous condition by the removal of material from the book.

Attempting to create the illusion of a previous condition..... hm

Trimming has no redeeming value whatsoever. The only motivation for trimming is greed. It isn't restorative. It isn't conservative. I would rather have a book with extensive restoration work than a book that has only had edges trimmed.

I could expand this post to comment on pressing, but that is not the focus of this thread. So, don't any wiseasses bash me over the head with a pressing jab.

I'm truly not bashing you over the head here, but obviously, some people would make that exact arguement about pressing. Especially your second sentence when it comes to trying to sqeeze out an extra couple tenths of a grade. I will say no more.

I absolutely agree with you about trimming comic books. (thumbs u It's unscrupulous. Just my 2c and probably not even worth that.

I own a gorgeous early Marvel Mystery that was extensively restored and the centerfold was trimmed because it was protruding from the book. The book shows like a 9.6 and is probably only a 6.5 because of a ncb crease across the front cover.

Has this book been destroyed?

R.

Yes, and I would not own it.

I think it is a mix of both. I wouldn't even want a PLOD that had been trimmed as part of the over all restoration process. I am not comfortable with the removal aspect of trimming.

Furthermore, I see it as underhanded. I think that is the why you are after. Most sellers that have engaged in undisclosed trimming have left such a bad taste in collectors mouths that many will just not stand for it.

All undisclosed modifications should leave a bad taste in collectors mouths.

Pipe down sh*t disturber. :makepoint:

That's exactly the taste I was referring to.....

Once it becomes apparent that undetectable trimming leads to higher grades and mo' money, then trimming will become accepted, and even celebrated. Trim everything you have right now, I say!!!

Unlike pressing where nothing is added, or color touch or tear seals where something is added to restore it to its previous condition, trimming is attempting to create the illusion of a previous condition by the removal of material from the book.

by the REMOVAL of material.

by the REMOVAL of material.

Does it really matter HOW the illusion is performed?

Stop it. You are just trying to cause trouble.

Trimming creates an illusion of perfection. The other aspects of restoration do not create the illusion that the book is perfect. It is perfect. It is perfect with new parts.

And please, let's not start down the road of comparing trimming to pressing based on the interpretation of the word illusion.

Trimming creates an illusion of perfection. The other aspects of restoration do not create the illusion that the book is perfect. It is perfect. It is perfect with new parts.

And please, let's not start down the road of comparing trimming to pressing based on the interpretation of the word illusion.

I'm trying to engage in a discussion. If you don't like my questions.....that's just too :censored: ing bad.

I'm trying to engage in a discussion. If you don't like my questions.....that's just too :censored: ing bad.

Stop trying to bring the conversation back to pressing.

I disagree. The other restoration IS an illusion, upon closer imnspection the replace/altered parts are detectable, it is far from a prefect item. It's an illusion of perfection.

I disagree. The other restoration IS an illusion, upon closer imnspection the replace/altered parts are detectable, it is far from a prefect item. It's an illusion of perfection.

Just like the way you snagged your wife. :whistle:

Just like the way you snagged your wife. :whistle:

Talk about changing the subject. doh!

:shy: My wife was fully aware I was damaged merchandise.

Stop trying to bring the conversation back to pressing.

Something in the water down there? doh!

I never mentioned pressing. You did though.....in the post I initially responded to:

You guys have a great day.....