• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question for OA comic strip collectors

23 posts in this topic

Almost everyone had ghosts or assitants at one point or another- the earleir the art the less likely it had assitants

In many cases thoug hwe are lookingat an arrangement not much different than most comic book art- after all a lot of comic book art is inked by someone other than the inker. In some cases the ghosts are mainly inkers- in other cases the ghosts did all of it . So it like a lot of earleir art is hard to identify.

I own hudnreds of strips and do not worry about it. In fact in man ycases the art we remember from later i nthe arrtists career is morestandard to the character than the early work. I own an early 1930's Chester gould original -a sample piece of art- defintiely 100% chet but I far prefer my 1943 daily. my 1950 daily and my 1960 sunday whcih were chet and assistants (the 1960 is a lot of locher)

I colelct strip and comic boo kart for what it looks like an what it is and I take itf or granted that a lot of it is done by groups of artists and writers.

I tend however to not pay a premium for "Frazetta" era Abners as a lot of that stuff was not done by Frazetta

Interesting. I wonder if that applies to the modern comic artist? Will a ZIPPY strip or a MAAKIES piece be from the original artist?

I tend however to not pay a premium for "Frazetta" era Abners as a lot of that stuff was not done by Frazetta

George, is there a way to tell if you have a "Frazetta" Li'l Abner? For example, would it be safe to assume that you have a Frazetta-ghosted original if it appeared in the Dark Horse hardbound set?