• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

well...today's barrage will be even less than yesterday's with a meesly 12 #64's. I just have not been able to take anymore photos the past couple days.

Hope Jack agrees with you John T on the cover of today's All-Star being better....I think so. Though the art may not be up to snuff I still liked Solomon Grundy's cover appearance.

AllStarComics64.jpg

Yes, Wood's layout is an improvement but his best days were behind him. Flash is oddly put together. Funny that the colorist didn't fill in Power Girl's peep-hole with flesh tone.

The logos are nearly push the characters off the cover! Can we add one more blurb, guys?

Jack

GreenLantern64.jpg

DC really didn't know what to do with this title, did they? Were the last covers Kane, Sparling, Adams, Sekowsky... who's next? Maybe it was on the verge of cancellation when "relevancy" took over with Green Arrow's arrival.

I find these radiating lines backgrounds a cheat -- they became a real cliché among lazy (hurried?) artists in the 70s-80s, didn't they? Especially the Kirby imitators.

Jack

The Adventures of Bob Hope 64

Bobhope64S.jpg

Funny Stuff 64

FunnyStuff64.jpg

Plastic Man vs the horn-snooted aliens -- HAW! (Do they look invisible to you?) Comic books were changing...

plasticman64.jpg

An inferior repeat

raccoon64.jpg

Tip Top Comics 64. Triple Terror (Chemix) is still featured, despite the comic-strip cover.

tiptop64.jpg

Jack

64 - let's see what's scanned:

FF:

FF64.jpg

Intro Sunfire - a character that couldv'e been more:

XMen64.jpg

and a straggler weird war - I stopped being as interested in them when they went away from the 4 or 5 short stories format to the 'book length' stories. It just isn't as cool to me:

WWT64.jpg

Lee

75268.jpg

Very nice cover, credited to Gil Kane(?) at GCD. I like the Indian maiden (Is that really a Kane face? Strong inker?) and sea serpent. There are some missing data like story titles and page counts at GCD. Do you have your copy handy or just the cover scan?

I dug it out:

Sequence 2: Find my Killer! featuring The Roving Ranger - 6 pages

Sequence 3: The Sorceress and the Swordsman! featuring Don Caballero - 6 pages (or 5 2/3 with Ad & Fun Fact on the bottom 1/3)

Sequence 4: Word Roundup - Game - 2/3 page - Illo by ?? (bottom 1/3 - Statement of Ownership)

Sequence 5: War on the Range - Text Feature (short story not fact) - 2 pages Illo by ??

Sequence 6: Stagecoach Days - Illustrated Fact - Illo by ?? - 2/3 pages (bottom 1/3 - Ad for Luden's Wild Cherry Cough Drops)

Sequence 7: Trigger Twins in accordance with the GCD

Sequence 8: Western Justice - Illustrated Fact - Illo by ?? - 1 page

:o

AAMOW_64.jpg

A classic "how bad a shot can that soldier be?" cover. Jeez, point blank to the nether regions. Blondie's in trouble, if you ask me.

Great coloring, especially on the jungle greenery. Where is the cover story set? Must be a Pacific island, right?

Jack

Nether regions or not, that's still a bada$$ cover.

Not as bad as that one copy of OAAW where Rock is diving IN BETWEEN barbed wire while being shot at by an MG 42 and punching one of the germans in the face. lol

That was probably the cover that started me noticing what bad shots all those Axis soldiers were.

Jack