• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

wf127.jpg

The quintessential World's Finest Comics weird alien cover.

I'm one of those oddballs that doesn't believe that comic books woke up one morning in 1956 and declared, "It's the Silver Age today!" Even though it was 1962 with a 12¢ cover, this was a holdout "Atomic Age" book.

Jack

ll127.jpg

Gawd, that's embarrassing. I still can't figure out whether the editor (Dorothy Woolfolk, according to GCD) let Bob Oksner get away with these crotch-centric covers, or actually encouraged him. I suppose anything that stimulated sales got the green light.

Jack

wf127.jpg

I'm one of those oddballs that doesn't believe that comic books woke up one morning in 1956 and declared, "It's the Silver Age today!" Even though it was 1962 with a 12¢ cover, this was a holdout "Atomic Age" book.

Jack

I have to disagree, Jack. The weird aliens and monsters really got going in the 60's. In the Atomic Age they were generally a little more "pulpy" (as opposed to silly). By 63 and 64 they looked more like those kids' drawing on the Gold Key Fun Pages than sinister monsters.

ll127.jpg

Gawd, that's embarrassing. I still can't figure out whether the editor (Dorothy Woolfolk, according to GCD) let Bob Oksner get away with these crotch-centric covers, or actually encouraged him. I suppose anything that stimulated sales got the green light.

Jack

This one's pretty blatant, isn't it! At least Lois isn't tied up.

Whiz Comics 127.

whiz127.jpg

Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies 127

LTMM127.jpg

Four Color 1270. Ignore the zero because we'll never get to this one. Good ol' Rocky and Bullwinkle. The white blotch looks worse in the scan that in real life.

FC1270.jpg

Jack

wf127.jpg

Jack

I have to disagree, Jack. The weird aliens and monsters really got going in the 60's. In the Atomic Age they were generally a little more "pulpy" (as opposed to silly). By 63 and 64 they looked more like those kids' drawing on the Gold Key Fun Pages than sinister monsters.

Hmm.

You're almost convincing me.

World's Finest 1952-59

Lots of odd situations, swapped powers, gags, some super-villains.

1959-65

Many weird aliens from 1959-63, then the classic Silver Age superhero shtick kicks in.

One COULD argue that Batman was an Atomic Age holdout until his Silver Age New Look (logo with yellow circle) kicked in.

Jack

only 1 for today - and back to my liking for portraiture.

Green Arrow.

127GrrenArrow.jpg

Hey - first day of CLink's GA auction - anyone shopping? I think I might try to acquire my one GA book of the year. Whiz, Startling, or Top Notch...maybe...

Till tomorrow

Lee

I'm not posting another 4th or 5th Flash issue unless it's a beauty. All of my books (non-key) over issue #100 are packed away in boxes in my other storage area. I could have a ball on this thread on New Years Day.

After mid-April I only have either Flash or Mad on hand. Oh well....nice books, guys. (thumbs u