• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2009...1 to 365!

12,875 posts in this topic

ADVENTURE264F.jpg

A repeat

Adv264.jpg

in which ol' Mort Weisinger tells continuity-conscious fans (who soon lost interest) to bug off

Adv264lett.jpg

and one of only 457,291 carefully preserved copies of Uncanny X-Men 264 (Gerber SI 0.00001)

xmen264.jpg

Jack

in which ol' Mort Weisinger tells continuity-conscious fans (who soon lost interest) to bug off

Jack

...and demonstrates why DC was soon to get it's clock cleaned by Marvel.

Jack

It would be some years after that issue before Marvel's best seller would overtake DC's. Superman sold a lot of copies every month.

I think that is a funny comment, because it seemed like DC became continuity conscious around that time anyways lol

Jack

It would be some years after that issue before Marvel's best seller would overtake DC's. Superman sold a lot of copies every month.

I think that is a funny comment, because it seemed like DC became continuity conscious around that time anyways lol

I agree. I've been meaning to start a thread over in Silver about the early development of DC continuity and how it started the SA rolling. Just haven't gotten around to it. Ironically, I think the rise of letters pages in their books drove the move, despite the negative example posted!

DETECTIVE265F.jpg

ADVENTURE265F.jpg

Many of the devices for silver age Superman family stories came from Superboy:

Robot doubles

Bizarro

Red Kryptonite

Krypto the Superdog

Legion of Super-Heroes

Phantom Zone

I am sure I am forgetting something...

I never liked the concept of duplicate robots. Too often they were used as a crutch to get Superboy/man out of a difficult situation. Part of the fun of the character was guessing which of his arsenal of superpowers he was going to use to get out of a jam. Using a robot eliminated the fun.

Don't forget the bottle city of Kandor.

I know I once did, and accidentally kicked it over. It was years before they invited me back for a visit...

Oh, and Brainiac. Another major SA character.

Both those started in Action.

Don't forget the bottle city of Kandor.

I know I once did, and accidentally kicked it over. It was years before they invited me back for a visit...

Oh, and Brainiac. Another major SA character.

Both those started in Action.

Yes, I hadn't read Silver's post properly. I realise now he was only talking about the Superboy titles.