• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which is the more desirable comic?

22 posts in this topic

thanks guys - here's the other question - I know you can't tell from the 'scans' because they are the best I can do right now. But just take my word that the one on the left is in about 9.0 to 9.2(without pen scribble) and the one on the left is 5.5 to 6.0 when answering this question. What would cgc do with this? grade it high with a qualified grade? or would it get a much lower grade because of the scribbling?

There's no reason why this book would ever get a Qualified label - we're not talking about a printing defect, nor an unverified signature, we're talking about damage to a book that's no different than, say, a dented corner, spine dings or a tear.

Which also means that this book is not a 9.0/9.2, nor should it be referred to as such, seeing that it's actual grade is probably lower than the "Fine" copy.

geez - the reason I asked the question is because I did not know - some of you are acting like I'm trying to brag about this book or something. I never referred to it as a 9.0/9.2... did you happen to notice the "(without pen scribble)" next to it. I never expected people to actually be offended by a simple curiosity.

thanks guys - here's the other question - I know you can't tell from the 'scans' because they are the best I can do right now. But just take my word that the one on the left is in about 9.0 to 9.2(without pen scribble) and the one on the left is 5.5 to 6.0 when answering this question. What would cgc do with this? grade it high with a qualified grade? or would it get a much lower grade because of the scribbling?

There's no reason why this book would ever get a Qualified label - we're not talking about a printing defect, nor an unverified signature, we're talking about damage to a book that's no different than, say, a dented corner, spine dings or a tear.

Which also means that this book is not a 9.0/9.2, nor should it be referred to as such, seeing that it's actual grade is probably lower than the "Fine" copy.

Not to be a doofus but there is a reason this kind of book may get a Qualified. Printing defects usually do not fall under Qualified. They are usually allowed in even higher grades and accepted simply as part of production.

Qualified is for special cases: my understanding of a Qualified Grade is a book that has a single defect in an otherwise high-grade book. The logic, which I agree with, is the book's structural integrity is actually reflecting a much higher grade that that single defect would allow in the current grading scheme.

I spoke at some length with Gary Carter on this when the first Grading Guide came out and he ultimately agreed that something needed to be done to address a high grade book with a single glaring defect. I said to him something along the lines of "So if you have a true NM book on which someone writes their name, that book is relegated to VG because that is the maximum allowable grade for a book with writing on the cover? But if you look at that book there are no VG common characteristics."

If you compare this book to a VG that also has inked in letters the comparison reveals this book is of an overall much higher caliber. None of the usual VG allowable defects such as color breaking creases, bends, dings, maybe a bit of missing corner etc etc. It is a book that is far beyond the VG. The main reason for my thinking is that a lower grade allows an accumulation of defects. Yet a book that only has one single defect but is grouped with the multi-defected book - well - that needs some consideration.

So I think if this is a true 9.x book with the filled in letters as the main defect, it should get a Qualified. Then let the market determine the "value".

As far as your "we're talking about damage to a book that's no different than, say, a dented corner, spine dings or a tear." actually we are talking about a different kind of damage. Dings, tears, dents etc. are structural damage. Writing is not structural damage. The core of the book remains intact.

I think ultimately, it really boild down to what folks think Grades are used for: to determine the price of the book or to determine the condition of the book. I lean to the condition. Would I pay a 9.x for this book? Of course not. But to see it plunked into a grade that would allow not only that inking but also numerous other defects, aloong with much lower possible PQ? It just does not make much sense.