• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Freaks Of Nature - got any?

28 posts in this topic

With all of those Popeye books, you may be the person that can identify this early Four Color comic. Is the page below from the Popeye and Wimpy book?

I'll check tonight when I get home.

I took a look and I don't see that page in either of the two Popeye and Wimpy Four Colors (17 and 40), it may be in 26 or 43 (mine are slabbed, and I don't have reader copies) or 25 from Series I (which I don't have yet). It's not from a Feature Book or Large Feature Comic since those are black and white.

It's a sweet page, for sure. Love the big Jeep.

Hey I love your Popeye books, tell me were all the Dell Four Color books reprints? I have been thinking of picking some of those up over the last year and was curious what is inside them. I have been enjoying reading the Fantagraphics Popeye reprints and thought a Dell Popeye comic would be a fun addition.

Thanks! Popeye is my all-time favorite character. When I was a kid, I used to eat spinach at the dinner table and then run around the house singing his theme song and flexing my muscles. :lol:

The Popeye Four Color 25 (Series I), and 17, 26, 43, 70 (Series II) are all strip reprints. Original stories by Bud Sagendorf are in 113, 127, 145, 168.. and all the Dell Popeyes.

Segar's strip reprints (like in the Fantagraphics books) are hilarious and often get pretty nasty. Popeye slugs Olive Oyl. Olive slugs Pappy. Pappy slugs some helpless woman. Some brute slugs Swee'Pea. Swee'Pea slugs him right back. :)

Sagendorf's stories are fun but much cleaner and kid-friendly.

Billy Parker has the ultimate collection of misregistered Timelys--maybe he'll post a few...

i'm not sure i know what you're talking about, sir.

cap34.jpg

My head hurts after looking at that. Do you have special glasses that help narrow down the colors? That is spectacular!

Billy Parker has the ultimate collection of misregistered Timelys--maybe he'll post a few...

i'm not sure i know what you're talking about, sir.

cap34.jpg

My head hurts after looking at that. Do you have special glasses that help narrow down the colors? That is spectacular!

'kid, it is literally one of my 10 or so favorite books from my timely run.

thanks.