• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008/09 Grading Contest: Round 13 Results

31 posts in this topic

I know one thing for sure after participating in this grading contest. You sure as hell can't go by the Overstreet grading guide for any assistance. I've seen 9.6's in here that were 9.2's/9.4's in the guide and vice-versa. :P

You see Mike. You have to throw logic out the window. And then sacrifice a chicken and drip its blood in a circle with ground up bones, while chanting. And the grade appears in a cloud of blue smoke.

At least thats how I think CGC does it. I just guess and come within 1.0/.5 off.

I said 9.4 this round, pondered 9.6 then thought "what if it gets a 9.2?" Safety net..

Hi Pat. :hi:

Yeah, I agree with you. I AM trying to be too logical. So much so I'm beginning to think I'm related to Spock or something. :eek:

I changed my guess from 9.4 to 9.2 at the last minute because of the ULC and LLC. So I cost myself 2 points (1 vs. 3) because I was thinking too much. Guess I better go with my intial gut feel from now on. (thumbs u

I'm beginning to think I have a ton of 9.6's sitting in my boxes as well. :wishluck:

I know one thing for sure after participating in this grading contest. You sure as hell can't go by the Overstreet grading guide for any assistance. I've seen 9.6's in here that were 9.2's/9.4's in the guide and vice-versa. :P

You see Mike. You have to throw logic out the window. And then sacrifice a chicken and drip its blood in a circle with ground up bones, while chanting. And the grade appears in a cloud of blue smoke.

At least thats how I think CGC does it. I just guess and come within 1.0/.5 off.

I said 9.4 this round, pondered 9.6 then thought "what if it gets a 9.2?" Safety net..

Yeah, I agree with you. I AM trying to be too logical. So much so I'm beginning to think I'm related to Spock or something. :eek:

I changed my guess from 9.4 to 9.2 at the last minute because of the ULC and LLC. So I cost myself 2 points (1 vs. 3) because I was thinking too much. Guess I better go with my intial gut feel from now on. (thumbs u

I'm beginning to think I have a ton of 9.6's sitting in my boxes as well. :wishluck:

Mike

Don't be to sure on that as I had sent in some books that where really nice and got hammered on them because they were graded on a monday (after football sunday) & who-give-a-hoot friday.. (shrug)

I sent these books in LONG before Nik started this contest and looked these books over & over and missed something. :cry:

I'm thinking CGC has tightened the belt a little and that's fine with me just means alot of people might want to pre-screen or this is CGC's way of kind of FORCE them to do so.

Don't be to sure on that as I had sent in some books that where really nice and got hammered on them because they were graded on a monday (after football sunday) & who-give-a-hoot friday.. (shrug)

I sent these books in LONG before Nik started this contest and looked these books over & over and missed something. :cry:

I'm thinking CGC has tightened the belt a little and that's fine with me just means alot of people might want to pre-screen or this is CGC's way of kind of FORCE them to do so.

No offense, but none of this makes any sense at all. :whistle:

:jokealert:

:jokealert:

Which part? (shrug)

Gotta go with your gut. That's what John Candy would do. (thumbs u

Andy

20tl40g.jpg:o

with this ding on the top.... (shrug) I must have a million 9.6...... lol

Yikes :pullhair::baiting::popcorn:

WEBHEAD

Production issue I imagine. I went 9.4 due to the color-breaking spine stress. :(

Both appear to be bindery tears and were likely exaggerated by the scan.

20tl40g.jpg:o

with this ding on the top.... (shrug) I must have a million 9.6...... lol

Yikes :pullhair::baiting::popcorn:

WEBHEAD

Production issue I imagine. I went 9.4 due to the color-breaking spine stress. :(

Both appear to be bindery tears and were likely exaggerated by the scan.

:sumo: Agreed!

Went 9.4 though. Chronic undergrader and all.

Mike,

No rhyme or reason. Just give a blind gues. But seriously it really depends on the flaw as to how they treat it. What the rest of us find severe, CGC obviously does not.