• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the CGC grade: Pep Comics #30

40 posts in this topic

Steve, is that staining on the back cover?

It looks like we're either seeing through to the back page or that it transferred some of the PEP of another pep comic it was sitting on top of in a stack.

Yes, it's slight ink transfer from the copy that was under it. It's not nearly so noticable in person.

I'm guessing the Ink Transfer doesn't affect the grade at all at this level.

It is a nice book but I don't know what all the 8.5s and, gulp, 9.0+ guys were thinking :sumo:

I was thinking at least one of those small corner chips might be bindery chips - and not really punished by CGC.

Even so - I don't see anything that knocks it down to a 7.0 - beautiful book :applause:

It is a nice book but I don't know what all the 8.5s and, gulp, 9.0+ guys were thinking :sumo:

I was thinking at least one of those small corner chips might be bindery chips - and not really punished by CGC.

Even so - I don't see anything that knocks it down to a 7.0 - beautiful book :applause:

Agreed, but it's always what you don't see that knocks a book down . . . :)

What? Are you saying GRADING FROM A SCAN IS NOT RELIABLE, it's just interesting? (shrug)

What? Are you saying GRADING FROM A SCAN IS NOT RELIABLE, it's just interesting? (shrug)

:applause:lol

I saw enough there to go 7.5, from what I did see, as there are numerous very pronounced stress lines present, three soft corners, heavy scuffing or a dig near lower left front cover, color loss numerous places front cover, for example, not to mention the top and bottom front cover spine issues, which I would discount for as it does not appear to be production related, and figured what I didn't see would knock it lower. :grin: But, I guess we all grade differently and that is what makes this thread fun. (thumbs u

Having seen the book in person, it's an easy 8.0 other than the impression on the back cover. The issues at the top and bottom of the spine are bindery chips. The major problems are the soft lower right corner and some non-color breaking creasing at the spine. I wouldn't have thought CGC would downgrade as much as they did for the back cover problem, but... (shrug)

Having seen the book in person, it's an easy 8.0 other than the impression on the back cover. The issues at the top and bottom of the spine are bindery chips. The major problems are the soft lower right corner and some non-color breaking creasing at the spine. I wouldn't have thought CGC would downgrade as much as they did for the back cover problem, but... (shrug)

Sweet copy! :applause: CGC doesn't get it right every time :gossip: But, if it kept money in YOUR pocket, all the better.

And . . .

:grin: But, I guess we all grade differently and that is what makes this thread fun. (thumbs u

The book looks much nicer than a 7.0 :applause: