• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book collection with an odor, what is it?

43 posts in this topic

I was watching a tv show and they experiemnted with removing smells from a refrigerator. Baking Soda did work, but activated charcoal (carbon) worked much better. They said you can get it at pet stores as it is used in aquarium filters. But it is apparantly messy. I guess along the lines of granulated charcoal briquettes or similar.

But I did some looking and found these:

http://www.innofresh.com/innofresh-products/fridge-it/

I wonder if they would be more effective than baking soda or kitty litter?

I would think that the active carbon would work better. I cannot see it being any more messy than the baking soda. I poured my out at the bottom of the box and put the comics on a rack just above it.

Thank you for the link, those products look great. I like the clip-on ones for the car. Perhaps, I may get them to just put in the inside of all my short boxes just in case.

My main concern for the "messiness" was that baking soda won;t stain but activated charcoal could dirty the books should a spill occur or should you have some still on your hands unbeknownst to you while placing the books in the box. I could just see a bit of charcoal being rubbed into a crease etc. :)

Yeah that would be cause for concern. I was looking the link you provided and the cases look like they would protect again staining. But I am sure you are refering to loose charcoal. ;)

I believe mothballs have to be what it was. Its that smell for sure. The books are fresh and crisp so it makes sense. There are just too many for me to do one or two at a time and my wife is not going to let me leave them out where the smell drives her crazy.

I'll put them up for sale,, fully dislose the smell and hope for the best.

Thanks for the help.

:applause:

Mothball smell is a whole another ball game because it releases a chemical that is absorbed. Baking soda will not work in your case. I did some google searches and came up with this Smelleze Mothball Deodorizer as a possible solution.

In theory, you can create a chamber and place the pouch inside just like you would with baking soda. I did not place only a few comics in the two boxes because frankly I am impatient. I put about 20 comics in one box - it's a big box so I stacked the in piles of 10 side by side. In the second box I have about 7 more that are larger size issues. They come out in another week. I'll let you know if my bulk version works.

I believe mothballs have to be what it was. Its that smell for sure. The books are fresh and crisp so it makes sense. There are just too many for me to do one or two at a time and my wife is not going to let me leave them out where the smell drives her crazy.

I'll put them up for sale,, fully dislose the smell and hope for the best.

Thanks for the help.

:applause:

Mothball smell is a whole another ball game because it releases a chemical that is absorbed. Baking soda will not work in your case. I did some google searches and came up with this Smelleze Mothball Deodorizer as a possible solution.

In theory, you can create a chamber and place the pouch inside just like you would with baking soda. I did not place only a few comics in the two boxes because frankly I am impatient. I put about 20 comics in one box - it's a big box so I stacked the in piles of 10 side by side. In the second box I have about 7 more that are larger size issues. They come out in another week. I'll let you know if my bulk version works.

wow, who'd have thunk it? Let me know what happens.

Sorry if that sounds like harsh advice, but smelly books are not worth keeping.

I bought a smelly book from a Board member . . . solution? I slabbed it. No smell through the slab. :grin:

Thats interesting. I bought a book from a smelly board member. :

Putting your books over a bin that has baking soda.(Put grill on bin) and opening the book leaving it there for a while eliminates all smell.s

Well Dover, I am sad to report that after a month, they still smell the same. :cry:

I only took out the box with the bigger books. This had 5 books all 100 pagers except one 52 pager. The 100 pagers are square bound so if I leave it open on top of the grill would not be bad on the book's spine?

I still have the other box to open but I packed these up like a fort knox and did not want to struggle with the other one tonight.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Is the key really to keep the book open inside the box?

Well Dover, I am sad to report that after a month, they still smell the same. :cry:

I only took out the box with the bigger books. This had 5 books all 100 pagers except one 52 pager. The 100 pagers are square bound so if I leave it open on top of the grill would not be bad on the book's spine?

I still have the other box to open but I packed these up like a fort knox and did not want to struggle with the other one tonight.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Is the key really to keep the book open inside the box?

Well you saw and replied to my response about activated charcoal/carbon and also those packets you can get online. I assume you did not try them?

Well you saw and replied to my response about activated charcoal/carbon and also those packets you can get online. I assume you did not try them?

Hi Povertyrow - I already had the books all packed and squirreled away with the Baking Soda so I did not try that yet. But I am definitely going to because I love these smelly books that aggravate my allegeries. I believe that my car wash place sells them.

Do you think that the books need to remain open though? I don't want to damage them and I fear that leaving a book up for up to a month will be too stressful for the spine. Some of them are squarebound 100 pagers.

I think if you interleave the interior with something to "prop" open the book in a few spots it would help. Laying the book open and flat for a month is not a good idea, especially SB books. But it sounds like your books are not going to respond well. :eek:

Good luck, and let us know your progress.

Despite what anyone claims, you really can't "desmellify" a book :grin:

I think if you interleave the interior with something to "prop" open the book in a few spots it would help. Laying the book open and flat for a month is not a good idea, especially SB books. But it sounds like your books are not going to respond well. :eek:

Good luck, and let us know your progress.

That is such a simplistic answer that I will definitely try that with the charcoal this time.

Despite what anyone claims, you really can't "desmellify" a book :grin:

Logically, I would agree because paper is porous which makes it highly absorbent. However, the optimistic person inside of me wants it to work to save these sweet books.

I feel like the mythbusters now and so either it will work or I will debunk these claims to de-smellifying. :devil:

Just a general thought that ctrossed my mind when I first read this but discarded it because of the replies I saw.

Does the odor smell anything like vinegar? (serious question)

I should have posted that about the smell. I had a thread up about water damage and vinegar smell in one of my threads and noone knew what I was taking about. These books have only the faintest vinegary smell, but I suspect that it will be stronger over time. I have a feeling that it indicates there is a problem with the books in general.

I am quite mad at myself for buy these as I normally ask the seller if there is any funky odor but I was waiting for a sales thread here and poked around ebay. Long and short of it was I got stuck with some smelly, funky books.

I asked the seller if he knew of the history of the books but he never answered the question. But, I should have known because he indicated that the books had foxing on the covers, which I normally stay away from. Stupid impulse out of boredom purchase. Good thing they were not expensive.

Do you know what that vinegar smell is all about?

Just a general thought that ctrossed my mind when I first read this but discarded it because of the replies I saw.

I should have posted that about the smell. I had a thread up about water damage and vinegar smell in one of my threads and noone knew what I was taking about. These books have only the faintest vinegary smell, but I suspect that it will be stronger over time. I have a feeling that it indicates there is a problem with the books in general.

I am quite mad at myself for buy these as I normally ask the seller if there is any funky odor but I was waiting for a sales thread here and poked around ebay. Long and short of it was I got stuck with some smelly, funky books.

I asked the seller if he knew of the history of the books but he never answered the question. But, I should have known because he indicated that the books had foxing on the covers, which I normally stay away from. Stupid impulse out of boredom purchase. Good thing they were not expensive.

Vinegar smell is actually the smell of acetic acid. Without going into the chemistry of it, it is an indicator in newsprint that the paper is turning acidic. Often very acidic. The pages may still be supple but it means over time these books will deteriorate faster, under the same storage conditions, as other books lacking the acid smell. It is NOT the end of the book. It may take many years for deterioration to start to show. Careful storage conditions can really prolong these books. But it is not a desireable smell.

I used to comment often here the very fist thing I would do after opening a book I was considering purchasing was to "sniff it". Many others also revelaed this trait and we are often referred to as "sniffers". A good sniff can reveal much about a book. To a sniffer, a fresh smell is wonderful. An acid smell is a warning sign. But I HAVE bought books with mild vinegar smell because the pages were still supple and off-white. Since I use microchamber paper, Mylite 2 and buffered Fullbacks for all of my books, and living in San Francisco with its very consistent temp/humidity (or back in Boston when I had my books in a controlled environment (a/c and dehumidifers depending on the season) the books remained fine.

Vinegar smell is actually the smell of acetic acid. Without going into the chemistry of it, it is an indicator in newsprint that the paper is turning acidic. Often very acidic. The pages may still be supple but it means over time these books will deteriorate faster, under the same storage conditions, as other books lacking the acid smell. It is NOT the end of the book. It may take many years for deterioration to start to show. Careful storage conditions can really prolong these books. But it is not a desireable smell.

I used to comment often here the very fist thing I would do after opening a book I was considering purchasing was to "sniff it". Many others also revelaed this trait and we are often referred to as "sniffers". A good sniff can reveal much about a book. To a sniffer, a fresh smell is wonderful. An acid smell is a warning sign. But I HAVE bought books with mild vinegar smell because the pages were still supple and off-white. Since I use microchamber paper, Mylite 2 and buffered Fullbacks for all of my books, and living in San Francisco with its very consistent temp/humidity (or back in Boston when I had my books in a controlled environment (a/c and dehumidifers depending on the season) the books remained fine.

Thank you so much for getting back to me. The books are just a faint vinegary smell so it does not really bother me too much while reading them. They are very pretty and white to off white pages as well. Such as shame but I will still keep them away from my other books. That is why I figured trying the Baking Soda since the odor was not too bad. Do you think the active charcoal will work? I was thinking of just trying it as it claims to work on containments.

I was thinking of getting the microchamber papers for these books before because I read it will help the smell. I think it helps balance the acidity levels. Do you think that may help with books that are already affected?

I am not sure if any of the process can be reversed but I would like to halt it somewhat. I really appreciate you replying back. Now that I know the problem, I can do some side research about paper acidity.

Just curious if the smell could be Moth Ball related? I know it is impossible to relate how something "smells" on a chat board, but given the good overall condition of your comics page quality I am leaning more towards an external contaminant then paper breakdown.

Just curious if the smell could be Moth Ball related? I know it is impossible to relate how something "smells" on a chat board, but given the good overall condition of your comics page quality I am leaning more towards an external contaminant then paper breakdown.

Ze-man, thanks for the post back. Sorry for the late reply. I don't believe that it is a moth ball smell. I am getting use to the smell so it difficult to be subjective right now. That is why I took a few days to post back. When I first received the books there was definitely a hint of vinegar scent but now I am having a hard time detecting it. There is foxing spots on many of the covers. I don't have a scanner but I will try to take some pictures.

I would be more than happy to send you a few books if you want to take a whiff test. They are not expensive books at all but I am interesting in learning about storage problems and how to detect them. So if you want I'll send you some and provide a return envelope as well.

BTW - I saw the pics of your work on those water damaged CGC books. That was some beautiful job.

I bought a collection once and it had a smell. Turns out they keep the comics in a garage and also keep animals in there. They pooped and pissed in the garage for months, not on the books (supposedly) but boy did they smell.

I never realized how much paper grabs and hangs on to smell. I had purchased two trade paperbacks and they must have been stored in a garage. The oil smell is too much for me to bear that I cannot even read it.

I am a fellow "sniffer" :acclaim: There is nothing more disappointing than smelly books. The vinegar (acetic acid) odor is very distinct - if you can't discern that, you probably should have your nose checked lol