• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic book collection with an odor, what is it?

43 posts in this topic

I bought a collection once and it had a smell. Turns out they keep the comics in a garage and also keep animals in there. They pooped and pissed in the garage for months, not on the books (supposedly) but boy did they smell.

I never realized how much paper grabs and hangs on to smell. I had purchased two trade paperbacks and they must have been stored in a garage. The oil smell is too much for me to bear that I cannot even read it.

Yep - Newspint can really be a "sponge" for odors. :)

I am a fellow "sniffer" :acclaim: There is nothing more disappointing than smelly books. The vinegar (acetic acid) odor is very distinct - if you can't discern that, you probably should have your nose checked lol

Yes, that vinegar smell - one has to weight the balance. How strong is it? How rare is the book? Can you maintain the book in a good environment. etc etc. But try to tell the seller about it and it is often (not always) futile.