• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In Praise of Comic-Book COVERS

72 posts in this topic

Everyone's covers are great!! Here are a couple from my collection.

Chris Bachalo from Shade #8

shade8.jpg

Bob Fuje from Four Color #900, the last of the Prince Valiant covers he painted

for Four Color back in the 50s.

Valiant.jpg

2n1bdjs.jpg

WEIRD SCIENCE # 13 by Al Feldstein (July 1950)

Although numbered # 13. this is in fact the 2nd issue. The confusing numbering (there are two # 13 covers!) came about when WEIRD SCIENCE retained the numbering sequence from the Pre-Trend title, SADDLE ROMANCES, which it replaced! One of three WS covers that sported a different logo design to the 19 issues that followed. WEIRD SCIENCE is my favourite EC title, and this cover art - by Al Feldstein - is something I've long-admired since first setting eyes on it (via the Russ Cochran Complete EC Library set). The cover art was originally sold before I commenced collecting EC artwork. Later on, I saw this cover on Steve Ferzoco's CAF, but Steve didn't want to part with the art when I enquired after its possible availability. Last year, I saw the cover come up for sale in a Heritage auction. Escalating values and bad timing caused the artwork to elude me once again. However, the artwork didn't sell. Co-incidentally, Will Gabri-El had approached me at around the same time, asking after a piece of art that I possessed that he wanted from me. After some negotiations, Will bought the Feldstein cover for me as part of a trade deal I had eventually agreed upon. I am delighted to have the artwork in my collection

Excellent, but you need to spend a little cash having the logo restored professionally. (thumbs u

Personally, I prefer to leave them au natural if they come that way... as one can see from my above example. But point taken about a xeroxed logo Terry.

Excellent, but you need to spend a little cash having the logo restored professionally. (thumbs u

Who would you suggest? If I frame them (which I hope to do at some point) I would like to have the logos on them.

Who would you suggest? If I frame them (which I hope to do at some point) I would like to have the logos on them.

The only person I would ever recommend is Roger Hill but he isn't taking new work, so that doesn't help at all. I have seen just absolutely horrible work done by many 'restorers' including quite popular ones so I NEVER have a piece 'restored' any more. In your case though, you would be fixing a piece that was amateurly restored (and a replacement logo is very minor 'restoration') so you may want to consider it. Can you simply remove the xeroxed logo? Most Archie covers don't have the original logo, so you wouldn't be alone.