• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In Praise of Comic-Book COVERS

72 posts in this topic

Excellent, but you need to spend a little cash having the logo restored professionally. (thumbs u

Who would you suggest? If I frame them (which I hope to do at some point) I would like to have the logos on them.

The only person I would ever recommend is Roger Hill but he isn't taking new work, so that doesn't help at all. I have seen just absolutely horrible work done by many 'restorers' including quite popular ones so I NEVER have a piece 'restored' any more. In your case though, you would be fixing a piece that was amateurly restored (and a replacement logo is very minor 'restoration') so you may want to consider it. Can you simply remove the xeroxed logo?

The logo isn't attached to the art. I just xeroxed the logo from the comic and put it there for the picture. I was thinking that I could have someone just do a mock up of the logo area and then reversibly attach it to the art for framing. In the case of the Pep 156, both pieces would have to be mounted on something if the art was to be framed with the logo. I also have the art to the cover of Baby Huey #1 which I would love to have a logo for.

Excellent, but you need to spend a little cash having the logo restored professionally. (thumbs u

Who would you suggest? If I frame them (which I hope to do at some point) I would like to have the logos on them.

The only person I would ever recommend is Roger Hill but he isn't taking new work, so that doesn't help at all. I have seen just absolutely horrible work done by many 'restorers' including quite popular ones so I NEVER have a piece 'restored' any more. In your case though, you would be fixing a piece that was amateurly restored (and a replacement logo is very minor 'restoration') so you may want to consider it. Can you simply remove the xeroxed logo?

The logo isn't attached to the art. I just xeroxed the logo from the comic and put it there for the picture. I was thinking that I could have someone just do a mock up of the logo area and then reversibly attach it to the art for framing. In the case of the Pep 156, both pieces would have to be mounted on something if the art was to be framed with the logo. I also have the art to the cover of Baby Huey #1 which I would love to have a logo for.

Over the years, I have come to appreciate the art with or without a logo. At this point, to my eye, it doesn't even matter either way. It's not like anyone who sees my display pieces is impressed either way, as none of them would know a logoless Avengers cover from a logoed cover. And, for myself, I realize it's part of a production process, so it's really the art I'm looking for anyway. But, to each his own. I'm going to try and take a few pics of pieces I have framed (without logos) and shoot them over to you. Maybe it will change your mind, maybe not, but fun to see anyway. DF

Robert Dennis re-created the cover logo for my BABY HUEY AND PAPA # 1 cover:

ubg9y.jpg

He keeps on file all the cover logos he re-creates, so would likely have something available for your own cover.

I also have a BABY HUEY cover (# 51), but Lloyd Braddy (who worked on the restoration of my CRIME ILLUSTRATED # 1 cover, performing an excellent job) is working on some logo re-creations for my other Harvey covers.

sc7r5u.jpg

As soon as the work is complete, I'll post a scan.

For me, I prefer a cover to have all logo and captions present.

This is a pencil recreation by Jack Kirby, commissioned for the 1994 Sotheby's auction. I have always loved the cover to TOS 39. :cloud9:

:applause: SUH-WEET! Mind if I ask how much it was? I'd love to have some Kirby art, but let's just say that it will have to be in the very distant future. :)

Wow, great cover. Where did you get that one?

A friend, from over here in the UK, bought it from Heritage several years ago. Last year, he needed to raise some cash for some building work - so he offered the art to me for a quick cash sale. Thankfully, I was in a position to do the deal (for a very fair price).

How about altered covers? Here is the cover for Race For the Moon #1 from the ad and here is what got published. A loss of Kirby/Williamson "goodness" in my opinion.

GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=472361&GSub=4774&GCat=0&UCat=0

PUBLISHED AS:

GalleryPiece.asp?Page=1&Order=Date&Piece=472363&GSub=4774&GCat=0&UCat=0

The links don't work, but I've seen both cover versions before.

Yeah, as originally illustrated, the first version is awesome.

Looks as though the india ink was over-used for the published cover. More a case of 'blackout', as oppoed to 'whiteout', if you see what I mean?

I used to own the RACE FOR THE MOON # 3 cover. That was a good one.