• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$3.99 is way too much for a new standard sized comic

26 posts in this topic

Just wait for the local shows and pick up books for under a buck!

At the last show there was a lady from Jersey selling new books for a dime each. I picked up a Walking Dead 49 for a stinking dime!

Yeah....There are lots of easier ways to get the books cheaper if you want to wait, or go about it differently.. That's really not the point. I have been buying and selling for years. You can pick runs off of ebay or buy collections and get all the reading material you could ever want. I still really enjoy going to the shop and picking titles off the rack. I like the fact that they are new. I enjoy the experience. I still have the "gotta have it NOW" mentality when it comes to new comic day. This day is sacred (heh) and can't be replaced by any of the thousands of awesome deals i have made at shows or with other collectors. I'm just Beyotching because i am going to have to be pickier now. Some of these books are not worth $4 for the entertainment value gained. Your point is valid in regards to picking up books on the cheap at shows though. The books that don't make the cut will probably still make it into my hands at some point at a discounted rate through shows and such.

I just wonder what happened to, say, $3.25 or $3.50. A whole dollar, 25% jump seems to be odd, and a move calculated to keep the same revenue even if there's a drop in readership due to the increase. That said, people say the cost of paper is up, and the postal service did have a price hike that affected printed material last year. I remember hearing a story on NPR about how the price increase hit small magazines hard, eating up the whole margin on some. That only affects the US mail and subscriptions, though, not UPS or whatever most publishers use.

I just wonder what happened to, say, $3.25 or $3.50. A whole dollar, 25% jump seems to be odd, ...

It's actually a 33% increase.

Even comics at $2.99 are high, but I've managed to adjust. There is no way I'm spending $3.99 for a comic.

:(

I remember buying comics for 50-60cents and reading them at the drive in before the sun went down..

I remember spending $1.25 a month for the entire marvel superhero line (9 superhero books and 1 war book - Sgt Fury) -that's 10 books at 12 cents each with 4 cents tax per dollar...ah, the sixties...

My 25 cent a week allowance almost covered my entire month of comics.

Let's see- nowadays 10 books at $3.99 is appox $40.00 ( I'll leave sales tax out for simplicity) means i'd need $10.00 a week allowance. That's 40 times my measly quarter a week allowance!!! Has the cost of everything else gone up 40X since 1967?

...and this got me thinking how Marvel seemed to do things in three's in the early to mid sixties. Nine total superhero books with 3 team books (FF, Avengers, X-Men) - 3 solo books (ASM, JIM/Thor, DD) - 3 split books (TOS, TTA, Strange Tales).

I believe thay offered 3 westerns (Rawhide Kid, Kid Colt, Two-Gun Kid), 3 glamour (Millie the Model, Patsy & Hedi, Modeling with Millie(?)), 3 reprints (Marvel Collectors Item Classics, Marvel Tales, Fantasy Masterpieces)

Oh yeah, and the later sixties brought out 3 new books- Not Brand Echhh, Silver Surfer, Captain Marvel. And of couse they broke up the 3 split books into 3 "new" titles...