• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was anyone here interviewed for the upcoming Grailpages book?

21 posts in this topic

I find that much like the majority of the threads on this board, the focus was very narrow and although he claims to be a dealer and deeply involved in the hobby, to me it seemed to have been from a novice's standpoint. Someone that just looked at a few websites, a few comments on this board and the flashiest stuff.

I thought trying to break down collectors of OA into neat categories was not an accurate representation of how collectors I know collect. The focus was too narrow and it left out so much of what this hobby is and where it came from. It also paid too much attention to the more recent "Hey, look at me, I only buy the best!!!" attitude a lot of collectors have these days as if the ability to spend money somehow also increases your standing in the community.

Of course as many know, the most expensive is not always the best. Also, many people in the hobby these days only want artwork once they see it's wanted by others or that the price is high. A phenomenon I fail to understand but actually applies to many other hobbies as well. Then again, I never understood paying 20 times market for something that there are over 100,000 of just because this one has one less ding than all the others (coins, comics or anything else slabbed).

I know there's some hero worship among new collectors of some of the people profiled and that many of those profiled are in this group so it's no surprise all the comments about the book were positive. Still, I expected to read someone else post something other than praise for the book. Maybe I'll send my copy to Mitch or Gene so I'm not alone on this one!

Ruben

http://www.collectingfool.com

I had heard there was an entire section (I don't have a copy yet) on Theme Collecting, and Steve is from Chicago, but I never heard from him when he was putting the book together. I would have loved to share collecting philosophy with him being that I have collected several different types over OA (pubbed, unpubbed, pencil, ink, paint, covers, interiors, strips and commissioned pieces of my own imagining) over the years and could probably write my own book about Theme Collecting.

One of the best parts of this hobby has got to be meeting new people, making new friends, and helping out the new guys to learn from your mistakes...including how to avoid the predators that lie in wait for newbies.

Usually, a book like this needs a writer and 4-5 "editorial advisors" in the hobby to make sure all the bases get covered. I don't know what went into the research of this book however.

C