• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

The Brits? Yeah, it was the most embarassing piece of TV ever screened on UK TV. Everybody involved should have been ashamed of themselves. Utter bollocks.

After about 40 minutes I packed it in - once upon a time, even though the Brits were always contrived, corporate and elitist, you'd get a handful of acts that would do something challenging and also misbehave (remember the KLF doing a thrash version of 3AM Eternal, for example?).

Now anything even vaguely interesting or worthwhile has been airbrushed out, with the show being presented by annoying airheads asking witless questions to other airheads. The corporations (i.e. Cowell, Fuller etc.) have won, and it's another nail in the coffin of pop culture, which is one of the few things that the U.K. is supposed to be good at.

And Lady Gaga musically is just souped-up Eurodisco. Namechecking '70s rock stars as if they're her peers is just sad.

Yes, I am a bitter old sod. :acclaim:

And Lady Gaga musically is just souped-up Eurodisco. Namechecking '70s rock stars as if their her peers is just sad.

Yes, I am a bitter old sod. :acclaim:

I agree on the souped-up Eurodisco, but her outfits and videos are visually stunning. She takes Elton John to a whole new level.

She takes Elton John to a whole new level.

Bombast, theatrical costumes, and loads and loads of dancers don't mean squat when you're singing old show tunes.

And Marilyn Manson's vids are visually astounding too, but I doubt even he would take the credit for them. :grin:

• Administrator

I was similarly disappointed with the MTVu (Woodie) awards. It just seemed poorly put together and then they gave Green Day the performance award which seemed like a waste to me. Not that Green Day aren't good performers, but if the awards are intended for up-and-coming artists, they don't fit the bill.

I think Lady GaGa is fun and vaguely interesting, but not the "sensation" that she is made out to be....

I think Lady GaGa is fun and vaguely interesting, but not the "sensation" that she is made out to be....

I'll go with that. Musically it's the same-old same-old, but credit to her for at least aspiring to be different. Trouble is that she does seem to believe her own hype...

• Administrator
alan-moore-lego.jpg

I really, really want one of these.

That's cool, do they have one of any DC execs that you can fight him against? Was it Paul Levitz he particularly dislikes?

I think he dilsikes most people.

alan1.jpg

I'll go with that. Musically it's the same-old same-old, but credit to her for at least aspiring to be different. Trouble is that she does seem to believe her own hype...

Have any of you guys been to a night club in the past 12 months? People go crazy for her stuff. She might sound like a rehash to us but my 15 year old thinks she's the second coming.

I agree, she's no Tom Scholtz (sorry, personal hero), but she has "something".

Have any of you guys been to a night club in the past 12 months? People go crazy for her stuff. She might sound like a rehash to us but my 15 year old thinks she's the second coming.

My three year old girl thinks LG is the bees knees, too. :cool:

But she prefers the Kinks, Small Faces, David Bowie and The Who. Really, it's what their exposed to (enough times). Ironically all we hear these days on the radio is Gaga, to coin a phrase.

And most London night clubs go for less commercial stuff than LG, fwiw. ;)

But she prefers the Kinks, Small Faces, David Bowie and The Who. Really, it's what their exposed to (enough times). Ironically all we hear these days on the radio is Gaga, to coin a phrase.

I'll be over soon enough to decide what is and what isn't commercial.

:sumo:

I'll be over soon enough to decide what is and what isn't commercial.

:sumo:

When, exactly? Gotta be prepared.... :ohnoez:

Don't know. At some point. With con season in full swing it may have to be in the fall.

You mean the autumn don't you lol

As for good modern music - you rarely find it in mainstream media, especially things like the BRITs or anything on ITV.

Edited by Comicopolis

Don't know. At some point. With con season in full swing it may have to be in the fall.

You mean the autumn don't you lol

As for good modern music - you rarely find it in mainstream media, especially thinks like the BRITs or anything on ITV.

Lou's brother is always on the cutting edge of what's hot and he's always burning her new CD's. Eight times out of ten it's British and it shows up at the nightclubs here about 4-6 months later.