• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Grade or not to Grade

30 posts in this topic

I always undergrade when listing on Ebay but I never list the numerical grade. Would that make any difference to anybody who was buying?

Are half grades important at the lower end of the scale, GD, VG, unless it is a key or expensive issue?

I always undergrade when listing on Ebay but I never list the numerical grade. Would that make any difference to anybody who was buying?

Are half grades important at the lower end of the scale, GD, VG, unless it is a key or expensive issue?

I think half-grades, or the pluses and minuses are very helpful in that in provides the lean for the book...i.e., is it closer to the next highest grade or lowest grade... 2c

....I comment on whatever is constituting the grade by first describing the front cover, the back cover, the inside covers, the overall structure (does the book lay flat, are the staples tight or pages loose and what condition the staples are in, centerfold attached) and registration of the book, and the interior page quality and if there are any markings etc. and obviously if there is anything missing...concentrate on the flaws that might not show up so well in the scans, such and non-color breaking creases (NCBs), soft drop creases, rack stresses, light stains, rust and/or foxing, that sort of thing...

Wise.

How much detail would you want, or expect, when buying from an online shop?

I only ask because I'm in the process of setting one up with another board member.

I can't divulge his name on penalty of death but it is his birthday today.

If a seller gives a detailed description with great photos, AND has feedback that shows most have been happy with the results, I'm usually very comfortable.

It's when you see frequent negatives or neutrals and the main complaint is grading that makes me shy away. Most anything else can be fixed, but bad grading can kill a reputation.

How much detail would you want, or expect, when buying from an online shop?

I only ask because I'm in the process of setting one up with another board member.

I can't divulge his name on penalty of death but it is his birthday today.

:shy:

With the majority of comic buyers understanding that grading is subjective, I think grading is very important. Sometimes it's very hard to tell from a scan the grade of a book. People are relying on you having the book in hand and giving them your educated opinion.

I've listed a lot of 90's stuff on the site and from the scans they look maybe 9.6's but in hand they just have a general 'wear' about them that gives them the feel of a 9.0/9.2, even though there are no major noticable flaws. Now someone may buy them and think I've undergraded - better that than me listing as 9.6 and someone thinking I've ripped them off by overgrading. So yes, I do think grading is important.

Opening an online store? Now that's an interesting idea...!

With the majority of comic buyers understanding that grading is subjective, I think grading is very important. Sometimes it's very hard to tell from a scan the grade of a book. People are relying on you having the book in hand and giving them your educated opinion.

I've listed a lot of 90's stuff on the site and from the scans they look maybe 9.6's but in hand they just have a general 'wear' about them that gives them the feel of a 9.0/9.2, even though there are no major noticable flaws. Now someone may buy them and think I've undergraded - better that than me listing as 9.6 and someone thinking I've ripped them off by overgrading. So yes, I do think grading is important.

Opening an online store? Now that's an interesting idea...!

Run with it :gossip:

Most of the time a picture is worth more then a bunch of words.

Except for those cases when there's problems inside or on the back cover. I've run into examples of those personally.

I always need at least a rough grade to work from. Preferably an undergrade, which will work in the seller's favor.