• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PSA and Steve Borock?

169 posts in this topic

Congrats on the Heritage move Steve. I'm looking forward to your re-launch and improvements to ComicMarket. I think it will really take off with more traffic to the site. My belief is that many are unaware of the site, even those who bid in the Heritage Comic Auctions on a regular basis.

Congrats on the new job, Steve! I think it'll give Heritage a real boost, as I've read some people questioning their credibility lately. I've always liked their model - except the crazy 19.5% premiums...

THANKS! (thumbs u

You know.....I ( and many of my friends) never figured out why buyers worry about the buyers premium. Think about it, if you want to pay $100 for something, bid $80. If there was a 10% BP you would bid $90, a 30% BP you would be $70. Either way, if the book is worth $100, it will still sell for $100. You are not paying any extra..........

Except you'll (almost) never win that way.

Why?

Because there are far too many people out there who don't think...and then bid.

You will almost always lose, because other bidders will not factor in the BP when bidding, even when Heritage lists the price+BP right next to the bid amount...and then the bid increments are so steep, and soon the item is now selling for more than it is "worth" (according to past sales data.)

Doesn't make sense, but that's really the point, innit...?

Congrats on the new job, Steve! I think it'll give Heritage a real boost, as I've read some people questioning their credibility lately. I've always liked their model - except the crazy 19.5% premiums...

THANKS! (thumbs u

You know.....I ( and many of my friends) never figured out why buyers worry about the buyers premium. Think about it, if you want to pay $100 for something, bid $80. If there was a 10% BP you would bid $90, a 30% BP you would be $70. Either way, if the book is worth $100, it will still sell for $100. You are not paying any extra..........

Why?

You will almost always lose, because other bidders will not factor in the BP when bidding, even when Heritage lists the price+BP right next to the bid amount...and then the bid increments are so steep, and soon the item is now selling for more than it is "worth" (according to past sales data.)

When that's the case I let others over pay. It doesn't mean I have to! (thumbs u

THANKS! (thumbs u

Why?

If that were true, books would sell for more at Heritage than anywhere else most of the time. That hasn't been my experience at all - I've gotten many great bargains through Heritage and been able to profit by arbitrage in short order (yea, yeah, flipper, I know... ).

THANKS! (thumbs u

Why?

If that were true, books would sell for more at Heritage than anywhere else most of the time. That hasn't been my experience at all - I've gotten many great bargains through Heritage and been able to profit by arbitrage in short order (yea, yeah, flipper, I know... ).

Alright, let me qualify that by saying that, at Heritage, I only deal on the coin side....very rarely on the comics side, so my experience in that is limited...but on the coin side, it happens all the time....and when you factor in bid increments and BP, you're looking at a $20 increment at the $300 level, and it's just not worth that extra $20, ya know?

I'm not saying you lose by a LOT...you just lose by a BID...which is the annoying part. ;)

I agree! Stay away from Heritage. Please! Don't go there and don't bid. It isn't worth it! Just leave it to the professionals.

FWIW, I win more on Heritage than CLink and the final costs is usually more reasonable. But the format for Pedigree and ComicConnect, where there is extended bidding and no sniping is probably the easiest was to control your costs. You have 3 minutes to decide if you want to uo the bid.