• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW!!!! AF 15 CGC 9.2- WHAT PRICE WILL THIS BRING??!!!

94 posts in this topic

So even in '62 you could buy an August book in May?

I thought that was a more recent change in comics being that far in advance.

For as long as I can remember comics have always been dated approximarely 2 months ahead of its actual shelf date.

I generally don't mind date stamps, but the one on this particualr copy appears to be a bit too obtrusive to my personal liking. As a result, I don't think this copy will be able to pass $175K.

Does anybody have any idea when the last 9.2 sale was and what it went for?

$190,000. Had it been a better looking copy without that date stamp I am sure it would of gone for more. After this auction result I am sure the 9.6 if ever sold in public again would have a decent shot at the magical million mark.

A bit surprised that it hit $190K with that large ungly date stamp. A smaller size regular date stamp certainly wouldn't bother me as much.

Did the $190K bid hit the reserve? Not sure about your magical $1M figure since no book has managed or even come anywhere near to that mark yet.

Anybody with GPA know what and when the last 9.2 sale of AF #15 went for?

$190,000. Had it been a better looking copy without that date stamp I am sure it would of gone for more. After this auction result I am sure the 9.6 if ever sold in public again would have a decent shot at the magical million mark.

A bit surprised that it hit $190K with that large ungly date stamp. A smaller size regular date stamp certainly wouldn't bother me as much.

Did the $190K bid hit the reserve? Not sure about your magical $1M figure since no book has managed or even come anywhere near to that mark yet.

Yes, it did hit the reserve. I say that the 9.6 would have a shot at one million because there is only one in existence.

Yes, it did hit the reserve. I say that the 9.6 would have a shot at one million because there is only one in existence.

So what's the story with the owner of that book, Eric Roberts? I thought at first it was the actor, who was into comics for a while (and maybe still is). His sample book list on his site is incredible.

I consider it a real nice result too. wonder what a 9.4 would go for right now. 300k? At these #s I don't think the normal multiples would hold up.

Homer;

If I was planning to purchase and hold the book for the long-term, I certainly wouldn't put much credence in "top of census' or "only one in existence: at this point in time. This is way too early in the slabbing game with all of the raw collections still sitting out there plus all of the shenanigans that's being done to these uber HG books. hm

Given the current market environment, from a holding point of view only, I personally feel that a "top of census premium" should not be applicable unless the book hits the following grade: 9.8 for GA, 9.9 for SA, and 10.0 for BA and no top of census premium for anything after Bronze. :o

So what's the story with the owner of that book, Eric Roberts? I thought at first it was the actor, who was into comics for a while (and maybe still is). His sample book list on his site is incredible.

As has already been stated many times on these boards here, Eric is the son of the wealthy billionaire George Roberts, one of the founders of the KKR hedge fund.

I am not sure who Eric Roberts the actor is. Is he the brother of the much more famous Julia Roberts? If so, then I guess both Erics really own their fame and indirectly, their wealth to much more famous family members. lol

KKR? Ahh, the company that bought my operation and then I enjoyed a nice, long layoff. Brought back such fond memories.

Lou, thanks for the details. There are many things mentioned here repeatedly, so appreciate not having to go do a search on a quick question.

You pegged it on Eric Roberts the actor.

Homer;

If I was planning to purchase and hold the book for the long-term, I certainly wouldn't put much credence in "top of census' or "only one in existence: at this point in time. This is way too early in the slabbing game with all of the raw collections still sitting out there plus all of the shenanigans that's being done to these uber HG books. hm

Given the current market environment, from a holding point of view only, I personally feel that a "top of census premium" should not be applicable unless the book hits the following grade: 9.8 for GA, 9.9 for SA, and 10.0 for BA and no top of census premium for anything after Bronze. :o

Good point. There is this old guy in his 70's who claimed that he has a case of Amazing Fantasy 15 comics. See the guy every week at the swap meet. I even mentioned about this guy on this thread, and then someone stated that they had a similar experience with a guy who lived in Illinois who claimed to have a case of Amazing Fantasy 15's who never showed up for a meeting to see them. I recently asked this guy I meet every week where he actually keeps these comics, and responded in a storage space in Chicago. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but when this guy dies we may have a flood of Amazing Fantasy 15 comics coming out all in 9.2 to 9.6 condition.

This auction proves hard assets still have a place in the market.

Comics that are THE BEST are great items in a diversified portfolio.

Now if we can only get someone to create a derivative instrument off of comics and OA - and than learn to securitize said instrument,...this hobby would be ready to rock & roll !!! :headbang:

http://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-detail.php?issue_id=24549

Homer;

Good point. There is this old guy in his 70's who claimed that he has a case of Amazing Fantasy 15 comics. See the guy every week at the swap meet. I even mentioned about this guy on this thread, and then someone stated that they had a similar experience with a guy who lived in Illinois who claimed to have a case of Amazing Fantasy 15's who never showed up for a meeting to see them. I recently asked this guy I meet every week where he actually keeps these comics, and responded in a storage space in Chicago. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but when this guy dies we may have a flood of Amazing Fantasy 15 comics coming out all in 9.2 to 9.6 condition.

I heard the story about Steve Geppi having an unbroken BUNDLE of Hulk 1's , strap still intact.....but I don't think comics were distributed in cases back in the day....but I could be wrong.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo (a friend of jesus) (thumbs u