• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The FF's exception...?!

34 posts in this topic

In the last few post i've talk with a few members about the "almost impossible" chance of the prices going up (silver/bronze Cap. A., Iron-man, Hulk,...)

But what about the FF's let's say 50-200?!

I don't mention the ones below nº50 because they don't need any speculator movement around them,lol.

Looking at the beay activity in the last few months they've gathered some interesting bids...

Regards, Pedro.

I see the FF run moving up steadily in the next two years, with the release of the movie due in summer of 2005. I'm actually very glad that the project was moved back; at least it won't be under the time constraints that the first X-Men movie was, which should yield a higher quality product.

I don't mention the ones below nº50 because they don't need any speculator movement around them,lol.

This is certainly true. I can attest to the insane demand for the first 45 issues especially, as I've been in the mix as both a rabid buyer, and happy seller! grin.gif

However, as interest in the title is strong, and will likely grow stronger, watch for price increases in issues 51-200. Afterall, most collectors who might jump into the fray won't have the big bucks to shell out for the earliest issues in high grade. The consequence of this should be an appreciation for the more commonly available books, especially those with classic Kirby covers (# 57-60, # 72-75, etc.)

Being somebody who is looking for them, I can tell you that high grade FFs in the 100s are IMPOSSIBLE to find, and are seriously undervalued, relative to other books. Its probably the last book to take a pop.

It's a title decades past its prime that only old geezers and dweebs read that has unreadable stories and zero investment potential. I suggest everyone dump all their copies, and as a public service, I'm willing to pay a modest fee to relieve you from the burden of this dead-end comic. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Is it me, or is FF #143 the most common issue in this run? I see them everywhere!

# 139 gets my vote for most common. # 140 is up there too. 115-117 & 124-129 are the ones that have always given me the most difficulty to try and locate in grade. However, a word of caution to my fellow collectors: the multiples being paid right now for slabbed 9.4 & 9.6 FF twenty centers are pretty high. This upward price trend should encourage other copies to be sent in to CGC soon enough. My advice: don't pay some crazy multiple....be patient.

However, a word of caution to my fellow collectors: the multiples being paid right now for slabbed 9.4 & 9.6 FF twenty centers are pretty high. This upward price trend should encourage other copies to be sent in to CGC soon enough. My advice: don't pay some crazy multiple....be patient.

The CGC census tells us absolutely nothing about these books. They're not common, but they're eminently more available raw than slabbed. It's not economically feasible to slab these books unless they are guaranteed at least a 9.4, and even if they are that high, the profit potential is somewhat low right now unless the current census count on a given issue and grade is under 5.

The CGC census tells us absolutely nothing about these books. They're not common, but they're eminently more available raw than slabbed. It's not economically feasible to slab these books unless they are guaranteed at least a 9.4, and even if they are that high, the profit potential is somewhat low right now unless the current census count on a given issue and grade is under 5.

That's the story of Marvel 20-cent non-key issues. The CGC pricing structure makes them worth more raw, unless you've got a good shot at 9.6 and a sure 9.4.

I actually coughed up money for a FF 126 CGC 9.4. I just couldn't stand it anymore. I bought 3 "NM" 126's off Ebay and the best was VF. I was sick of being disappointed.

Yes, 143 is very common. 139 also.

I got a lot of my comics filled between 120 and 150 by "harryk", the seller from Canada. Most were true NM's for UNDER guide. It was great.

The CGC census tells us absolutely nothing about these books. They're not common, but they're eminently more available raw than slabbed.

True, but I can't imagine the print runs for FFs were all that much lower then the print runs for Spidey in the 70s, and the run-up before the Spidey movie brought a lot of those 20 centers out of collections. Now they're available on eBay all day.

I guess I would clarify my earlier statement this way:

1). If you can find raw NM FF twenty centers, buy them NOW!

2). If you can get nice slabbed NM FF twenty centers at a reasonable multiple, do so NOW!

3). Don't wait to buy them in the 6-8 months before the movie! This is the period before they will be submitted en masse to CGC, and the supply will still outstrip demand, driving the price up.

4). You can always wait until after the hype has died down. By then though, the Guide will begin to reflect the coming price surge.

At the end of the day, buy them now if you can get them at a reasonable price. What qualifies as reasonable is up to you.

Oh, and I am going to be parting with many of my own 20 centers shortly (both slabbed and raw). The slabbed ones are mostly all CGC 9.2s, and the raw books are in the 8.5-9.2 range (they didn't make the cut to be submitted frown.gif). So, look for them soon.

3). Don't wait to buy them in the 6-8 months before the movie! This is the period before they will be submitted en masse to CGC, and the supply will still outstrip demand, driving the price up.

I get the point, but when supply outstrips demand, surely that drives the price down ?

I get the point, but when supply outstrips demand, surely that drives the price down ?

Yes, once the movie hype fades, prices will drop. However, thats still 2 years away, likely a little more, which is at least 2 more years the Overstreet Guide has to accurately reflect the market on these books. So either way, buy now if it isn't too crazy of a price.