• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If a crash does come....what will YOU do?

107 posts in this topic

Abandon the hobby? Well, will ya punk? 15_1_60.gif

I will send Greggy enough money to cover postage so that he can mail his worthless sweet, sweet DCs to me!

cloud9.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

Abandon the hobby? Well, will ya punk? 15_1_60.gif

I will buy all of the 1st appearance Marvel SA hero books: Spidey 1, FF1, Hulk1, TOS39, JIM83, ST110 etc etc etc.

And I will continue to plug away at pre-code horror because they will not be much affected.

You guys are still talking about the "CRASH"???? Sheesh, in my humble opinion there's never going to be a "crash". Unbelieable people, seriously it's a market like anything else if it does crash it won't be far off from recovering like any other market. Quite frankly I serioulsy doubt that values will come down drastically enough for the optimistic collector to grab potential gems like Amazing Fantasy 15, Amazing Spider-Man 1, Action 1, Super-Man 1 ect... Seriously. So let's stop "dreaming" about this nonsense and go on with our business (which is collecting and enjoying comic books!)

Later.

I'm not sure what would qualify as a crash. If you paid $5000 for a book and all of a sudden it was worth $1000 would that be a crash or would it be ok because you liked the book so much? More important question to me is will the bridge between the multiples of guide being paid for 9.4 and up and the Overstreet guide price narrow. My hunch is most books 9.4 and below will be back near guide with obvious exceptions of unique books like the Showcase 4 etc. Might take 2-3 years maybe less maybe more. I can understand why a collector with plenty of cash (big d%^k as some of you refer) is willing and has to (to pry it out into the market) for some rarity be it a high grade Gold book or the one and only 9.8 of a title for bragging rights or whatever cumpolsion drives them. But why are people paying multiples for books that are easy to find? There are 207 copies of GS X-Men 1 in 9.4 or better plus many more to be submitted and or added to the census so why would one pay a premium over guide when its documented right in CGC's own census that there is plenty of them around? I'm curious how many CGC super high grades actually find their way into collections and how many are simply being "flipped"back and forth till there is not one more thin dime to be squeezed out of them? Plus lets be realistic even CGC cant tell 100% the difference between 9.6 and 9.8 hence the constant resubs. So what you are likely paying double or triple the price is whether you caught them on a good day or bad day. sign-rantpost.gif

There are 207 copies of GS X-Men 1 in 9.4 or better plus many more to be submitted and or added to the census so why would one pay a premium over guide when its documented right in CGC's own census that there is plenty of them around?

That's an interesting example because it really doesn't go for multiples of Overstreet guide. Guide on GS X-Men 1 is $1150 in NM and this book does go for around that amount in CGC 9.4 condition. 9.6 copies go for a bit more, $2000 to $3000, but multiples of NM for books that are better than NM isn't too surprising.