• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Followup on the books stolen from ComicLink

23 posts in this topic

Stolen Merchandise Alert: Stolen Comics Being Sold in NYC Area

Lead Stories, Diamond Daily, Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Please be advised that seven rare, valuable, and high-grade comics were stolen from the ComicLink.com table at The National Comic Book, Comic Art, and Fantasy Convention, which was hosted by Big Apple Comic Conventions on November 28-30 in New York, NY.

Furthermore, two of the books -- All Star Comics #23 CGC 9.4 and Journey Into Mystery #83 Golden Record Reprint CGC 9.6 -- were recently sold to New York City's Time Machine, with Owner Roger Williams returning the titles upon learning that they were stolen. The thief is suspected of piecing out the books in the New York area, with the five still-missing titles being:

• All Star Comics #35 CGC 9.6

• Marvel Mystery Comics #10 CGC 4.5

• Thor (Volume 1) #170 CGC 9.0

• Daredevil (Volume 1) #4 CGC 9.4

• Daredevil (Volume 1) #6 CGC 9.4

According to ComicLink.com, Williams described the person who sold the stolen comic books to him as "a tall, good looking, well dressed, young African American man" who stands approximately 6'3" tall.

If you have information regarding this case, please contact Josh Nathanson at (718) 423-6079, or via e-mail at buysell@comiclink.com. Information can also be shared with the New York Police Department (complaint #70830).

The description of the seller gives me some confidence that they are not a forum member "tall, good looking, well dressed..." so I doubt they will see this thread. What insufficiently_thoughtful_person steals CGC material and leaves it in the case????

Obviously I hope the remaining books are recovered. You hate to see this kind of thing happen to any dealer. So hopefully comiclink will get the books back.

But, come on... selling stolen books still in the holders? foreheadslap.gif

What insufficiently_thoughtful_person steals CGC material and leaves it in the case????

The stolen books that I ended up with about two months ago were still in their CGC cases. That's how the owner let me know they were his.

As someone pointed out on another thread, there's only one MM 10 CGC 4.5 on the census, and it's currently for sale at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2208662457&category=68.

That's a new 4.5 copy. It just hasn't made it into the census yet. The stolen copy is old label and still viewable on the site:

http://www.comiclinkexpress.com/./itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fitems%2Easp%3Fid%3D3888%26FROM%3D%26TO%3D&id=576311

They're definitely different books.

Or neatstuff bought the stolen book, broke it out, attempted to fix it up a bit, resubmitted and got stuck with the same grade ?

Maybe that's why it's taken them two and a half weeks to ship my book? 893frustrated.gif

You are correct in that it is a sad day when fellow collectors are stealing books from one another. However, this also shows how tight knit the comic collecting community is. A few of the books have already been or is being returned to Josh because the criminal was dumb enough to sell them with the slab foreheadslap.gif

Stolen Merchandise Alert: Stolen Comics Being Sold in NYC Area

Lead Stories, Diamond Daily, Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Please be advised that seven rare, valuable, and high-grade comics were stolen from the ComicLink.com table at The National Comic Book, Comic Art, and Fantasy Convention, which was hosted by Big Apple Comic Conventions on November 28-30 in New York, NY.

Furthermore, two of the books -- All Star Comics #23 CGC 9.4 and Journey Into Mystery #83 Golden Record Reprint CGC 9.6 -- were recently sold to New York City's Time Machine, with Owner Roger Williams returning the titles upon learning that they were stolen. The thief is suspected of piecing out the books in the New York area, with the five still-missing titles being:

• All Star Comics #35 CGC 9.6

• Marvel Mystery Comics #10 CGC 4.5

• Thor (Volume 1) #170 CGC 9.0

• Daredevil (Volume 1) #4 CGC 9.4

• Daredevil (Volume 1) #6 CGC 9.4

According to ComicLink.com, Williams described the person who sold the stolen comic books to him as "a tall, good looking, well dressed, young African American man" who stands approximately 6'3" tall.

If you have information regarding this case, please contact Josh Nathanson at (718) 423-6079, or via e-mail at buysell@comiclink.com. Information can also be shared with the New York Police Department (complaint #70830).

The description of the seller gives me some confidence that they are not a forum member "tall, good looking, well dressed..." so I doubt they will see this thread. What insufficiently_thoughtful_person steals CGC material and leaves it in the case????

Obviously I hope the remaining books are recovered. You hate to see this kind of thing happen to any dealer. So hopefully comiclink will get the books back.

But, come on... selling stolen books still in the holders? foreheadslap.gif

Roger Williams is my boy - the Time Machine is the best comic book store in NYC cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

DAM

Hey Dam, You downtown? I usually hit Midtown on my way to Penn Station after work. What's Roger got going on down there that would make a special trip worthwhile?

I think his description of the guy is a riot; well-dressed and good-looking! That's like no one I've ever seen at a comic show, maybe it was a shock to see someone fitting that description in his shop? confused-smiley-013.gifwink.gif

Hey Dam, You downtown? I usually hit Midtown on my way to Penn Station after work. What's Roger got going on down there that would make a special trip worthwhile?

I think his description of the guy is a riot; well-dressed and good-looking! That's like no one I've ever seen at a comic show, maybe it was a shock to see someone fitting that description in his shop? confused-smiley-013.gifwink.gif

Work in midtown, live in the east village and I would trek in from my parents in Long Island if I knew that Roger was going to be at the store and I needed my comic fix. Let me just put it to you like this - Roger's is the only store in the whole wide world tha when I go there I put my coat down on one of his two chairs in the front and make myself comfortable as I happily dig through his treasure boxes cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

I used to go to Midtown (God was that convenient) on my way home from work and Midtown is a great store. But I don't buy any new issues anymore (although I do buy TPBs) and I don't have a need for any modern back issues. I do go to Midtown for select signings and the like, but that's about it . . . Roger is great if you buy an occassional new issue but just like to be surrounded by literally thousands of SA and early BA books - they aren't minty fresh cgc 9.8 potentials, but he does get some nice books now and again (and most times they aren't stolen tongue.gif)

DAM

I work midtown too (Park/46th). I'll have to stop there next time I'm downtown to see what's what. I know I've been there at least once about 2 years ago. I don't really collect the new stuff either, but these boards keep me interested in the new stuff, and I've been buying one or two new titles every week for about two months now.

My current titles list:

Hulk: Grey

JLA/Avengers

Kolchak The Night Stalker

The rest I buy from ebay/shows/other sources. (I'm too cheap to pay cover price on books I know I can get for substantially less if I just wait a few months, OR buy the trade if it becomes temporarily 'hot').

Oh, and while we're on the topic of NYC comic dealers, what's up with Action Comics on the upper-east side. I went there twice and both times the guy running the store had that life-has-beaten-me-down attitude, someone I'd call a Mope. Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

Oh, and while we're on the topic of NYC comic dealers, what's up with Action Comics on the upper-east side. I went there twice and both times the guy running the store had that life-has-beaten-me-down attitude, someone I'd call a Mope. Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

Only place I know of on the upper (upper) east is a place Alex's MVP on 86th and 1st but they have more sports cards than anything else . . .

Do you mean Gotham City on Lex and 61st?

DAM

No, I like the Gotham guys too. The guy I'm talking about is on like First and 91st Street or something way up there, in a basement. The store looks like it's been there forever (it even has the enviable green-hued faded wall books). There was a news article two years ago about how someone came in with a rifle and stole a Spidey #1 and some other books. I asked him about it and he said, I know who hired that guy to get those books, but I couldn't prove it and he got away with it.