• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

who wins GSX#1 or XM#94?

39 posts in this topic

Being a collector of the GS comics I would have to say that we will eventually see more HG 94's than GS#1, due to the fact that finding GS in HG is hard to do. I do not think 94 was a huge print run, but I beleive many HG copies will eventually come out. Also, I think think #94 was to the comic shops only and may have been under-ordered.

Well, since its 1975, most copies were newstand of both and i don't agree with the "hidden" high grade 94's not yet out. Yes there are TONS of nice ones yet to come out, but i expect the ratios to be the same as they are now.

cgc census GSX#1

Near Mint/Mint 9.8- 7

Near Mint + 9.6- 69

Near Mint 9.4 -131

Near Mint - 9.2 -134

Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0 -146

cgc census xm-94

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 -0

Near Mint + 9.6 -13

Near Mint 9.4 -56

Near Mint - 9.2- 84

Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0 -121

Yes, GSX-Men#1 was at news stands, comic shops, 7-11's etc.in the summer of '75, where as if my memory serves me correct #94 may have been a direct order from just comic shops, and therefore has a much lower print run(or order run), but the way #94 is contructed(bindery,staples etc.) the chances of #94 showing up in HG's should eventually materialize.

both were distributed on newstands GS 1 likely exists in high grade more because many of the 50 cent giant 1's were hoarded by speculators Doubt a lot were hoarding #94 of any title Plus I think a lot of Marvel giants from those summers didnt sell that great and again were sitting around as unsold stock for a long time GS X-Men is more important but #94 is rarer and everything as far as prices with CGC seems to be predicated on census #'s How many copies are floating around to be fought over

I agree it is 94. Back then, there were already speculators, and tons of collectors, but they weren't quite as educated (or at least they thought differently). GS had the #1 on it, so everyone flocked to it. #1 meant everything back then, and really until about the early 80s. I remember back then seeing books like Marvel Premiere 15 selling for much less than Iron Fist 1 just because of the number 1. I don't know about the direct order theory for 94, but I know for a long time it was not nearly as respected as GSX 1 and as such they were not taken care of or hoarded to the same degree.

I don't know about the direct order theory for 94, but I know for a long time it was not nearly as respected as GSX 1 and as such they were not taken care of or hoarded to the same degree.

Was GS 1 always listed higher in Guide than XM 94? I don't recall that being the case, and I thought that Wizard and O/S Monthly back in the '90s had XM 94 listed as higher for a long time. Well, regardless of what the price guides have said, I think XM 94 has long held a valuation edge over GS 1 in the actual marketplace - I recall it was the most sought-after of the "Big 3" Bronze books when I started collecting seriously back in 1983. I know a lot of people considered GS1 to be an inferior book (despite its greater 1st appearances) because it was a Giant-Size book and not part of the regular run (much the same way Annuals have been undervalued relative to contemporaneous issues of the main title).

Gene

Was GS 1 always listed higher in Guide than XM 94? I don't recall that being the case, and I thought that Wizard and O/S Monthly back in the '90s had XM 94 listed as higher for a long time.

Here's the progression:

1) From release, and up to the 1980's, X-Men 94 was listed higher, as it was part of the "issue run", while GS X-Men was not. Plus, OS stupidly listed he GS issue under "Giant-Size" in the Guide, rather than with X-Men.

2) In the 90's this shifted, and GS X-Men 1 listed for more. People realized, that from a collectible standpoint, GS X-Men 1 was a far superior book, with the first app of the new X-Men and the second full Wolvie app. Guides such as Wizard correctly listed the GS issue in the "X-Men" category, further driving demand.

3) In the CGC world, where Census numbers are driving sales more than ever, and with GS X-Men looking far more common in HG than X-Men 94, the valuation has reversed. Keep in mind this is only in NM or higher, and GS X-Men 1 is still the more valuable issue once we get into CGC 9.2 and below.

So basically, GS X-Men 1 is the more inherently-valuable comic, but the Census data gives the edge to X-Men 94 in CGC 9.4 and higher.

Was GS 1 always listed higher in Guide than XM 94? I don't recall that being the case, and I thought that Wizard and O/S Monthly back in the '90s had XM 94 listed as higher for a long time.

Here's the progression:

1) From release, and up to the 1980's, X-Men 94 was listed higher, as it was part of the "issue run", while GS X-Men was not. Plus, OS stupidly listed he GS issue under "Giant-Size" in the Guide, rather than with X-Men.

2) In the 90's this shifted, and GS X-Men 1 listed for more. People realized, that from a collectible standpoint, GS X-Men 1 was a far superior book, with the first app of the new X-Men and the second full Wolvie app. Guides such as Wizard correctly listed the GS issue in the "X-Men" category, further driving demand.

3) In the CGC world, where Census numbers are driving sales more than ever, and with GS X-Men looking far more common in HG than X-Men 94, the valuation has reversed. Keep in mind this is only in NM or higher, and GS X-Men 1 is still the more valuable issue once we get into CGC 9.2 and below.

So basically, GS X-Men 1 is the more inherently-valuable comic, but the Census data gives the edge to X-Men 94 in CGC 9.4 and higher.

JC;

Reading your above post makes it sound like you not only own copies of the OS, but that you also use it for reference purposes. I find this a little surprising considering all of the negative comments you seem to always have for the OS guide! 893whatthe.gif

This is why I would bet on GS X-Men 1 being the long term winner over X-Men 94. It is, in and of itself the more collectable book, those first apps make it the clear winner. The collector/investor demand will always be higher for this book and for me that outweighs the supply issue.

Reading your above post makes it sound like you not only own copies of the OS, but that you also use it for reference purposes. I find this a little surprising considering all of the negative comments you seem to always have for the OS guide! 893whatthe.gif

Pre-EBay, the OS Guide was the best price list available, which ain't saying much. Now with the ability to save auction data or look to GPA tracking all grades of CGC comics (using open market systems like EBay and Heritage), it's no contest.

I haven't bought an OS in years, and only use the ones I have now for first apps, key issue notations, character apps/cameos, artists, etc.

Pre-EBay, the OS Guide was the best price list available, which ain't saying much. Now with the ability to save auction data or look to GPA tracking all grades of CGC comics (using open market systems like EBay and Heritage), it's no contest.

I haven't bought an OS in years, and only use the ones I have now for first apps, key issue notations, character apps/cameos, artists, etc.

JC;

I don't have a problem with using eBay as an indicator of where the market is since we can see all of the bidding history. I do have a bit of a problem with using Heritage as a market indicator since we have no idea as to who we are bidding against or whether we are just bidding against Heritage's "bump" bid.

That final sale from Heritage could be just be some foolish speculator willing to pay 200% or 300% above market just to acquire a certain book. For example, if an Amazing Fantasy #15 goes for $125,000; should OS immediately adjust prices to fully reflect this in his latest price guide without discounting some of the silliness that goes on at Heritage. Since Target #7 sold for $57,500; should OS raise the price from $6,400 to somewhere in the $50K range in next year's guide. I somehow think the reserve was around $50K and the real underbidder was probably somewhere in the $20K range. Actaully, I don't mind the high price since I have a high grade copy of Target #7 in my collection already. laugh.gif