• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern vs Classic artwork

25 posts in this topic

I hear the argument that modern science is responsible for people being able to hit golf balls further and lift more but why does a lot of the "Golden Age" art look like my 9 year old nephew drew it? Is it because that was the style back then and the Justice series would have never sold. Is it just progress and people think differently or is the tools required to produce art have advance over the last 50 years? A pen is still a pen but the stuff people are doing with it today is light years ahead of what they were doing even 40 years ago. Ideas?

I would like to prove you wrong...just as much as some artwork has gotten better, much of it has gotten worse.

Do these GA artwork examples suck?

Suck - not at all but they do not stack up with most of the modern comics. They just look basic compared to the detail in todays books. I just re-read the Justice series and it just blew me away.

It appears that much of what you are enjoying in todays "art" is more or less computer generated and not physically drawn by hand.

The argument you're having is like comparing Jason and the Argonauts to Pirates of the Caribbean.

Both are technically and visually very good movies with lots of special effects but they just come from different eras.

The former was all done by hand and the latter by computer.

I hear the argument that modern science is responsible for people being able to hit golf balls further and lift more but why does a lot of the "Golden Age" art look like my 9 year old nephew drew it? Is it because that was the style back then and the Justice series would have never sold. Is it just progress and people think differently or is the tools required to produce art have advance over the last 50 years? A pen is still a pen but the stuff people are doing with it today is light years ahead of what they were doing even 40 years ago. Ideas?

I would like to prove you wrong...just as much as some artwork has gotten better, much of it has gotten worse.

Do these GA artwork examples suck?

Suck - not at all but they do not stack up with most of the modern comics. They just look basic compared to the detail in todays books. I just re-read the Justice series and it just blew me away.

It appears that much of what you are enjoying in todays "art" is more or less computer generated and not physically drawn by hand.

The argument you're having is like comparing Jason and the Argonauts to Pirates of the Caribbean.

Both are technically and visually very good movies with lots of special effects but they just come from different eras.

The former was all done by hand and the latter by computer.

Great info. I did not know that some of the art now is generated by computers. I really was not saying one was "better" than the other but there definetely a difference in "crispness" in the art. I guess if computers are involved - that explains the greater details.