• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Internet Explorer help

39 posts in this topic

Last week my internet explorer stopped working. It says an error, "can not connect to server".

I have tried downloading a new version, removed all of the old. And tried moving around the settings, still the same problem? AOL works fine, but I need Internet Explorer for certain things.

Hmmm. What do you have as the default page when you first open Internet Explorer? Is it one of the heavily distributed pages (Google, MSN, Yahoo) or a smaller site that may be experiencing problems?

Here's the troubleshooting section for what that error means, and to me if it is not the firewall it could be the default site is experiencing issues.

==============

A Domain Name System (DNS) error can happen if the DNS server(s) are not properly recognizing the URL. This could be because the DNS server is down or the URL is incorrectly configured in DNS

==============

I ask because I used to have refdesk.com as my default, but being a free site they were not known to grow their web server pool that large. Therefore, it was very common not to be able to reach them as there was no real load balancing going on, and their site was heavily used.

Firefox :cloud9:

Right?! IE7 is just a dog of a browser that eats up a lot of memory.

Has anyone tried Google Chrome and had anything good to say about it?

I have heard good things about it but not tried it. I have used Opera in the past but really like Firefox and have been using it for a long time now. Never had a problem. I used to have problems with IE and you are correct - it is a memory hog.

I wouldn't touch anything from google lol. Internet explorer works just fine if you know how to configure it.

I understand where you are coming from, and really with IE there is no "configuration" needed on a standard setup. But the amount of attacks that go on just because it is Microsoft's product makes the options more tempting as solid products come out like Firefox and Chrome.

My fear with Chrome is because Google has become this massive app house it is just an interface for them to bombard you with all these options regularly as part of sign-up campaigns.

One of their coolest partnership ideas was with Gilbarco, who does gas pump payment systems. While you wait for your gas, if you need directions you enter the destination and it generates a trip ticket using Google Maps.

I wouldn't touch anything from google lol. Internet explorer works just fine if you know how to configure it.

I think for me - it is just a dislike for Microsoft.

I think alot of dislike as of late is because of Vista. That will all change though once Windows 7 comes out. The features with Windows 7 are pretty cool and after enitial organization of the desktop it is pretty user friendly with all the pinup features. This new OS will also be touch screen compatible. Windows 7 comes with IE 8 which I have been playing with and the search functions are pretty powerful along with the web slices feature to put stuff on your desktop. Webslices act like widgets. This new OS feels like Vista meets Mac OS for parts of it. Anyways I have been playing with Windows 7 and I like it far greater then Vista. It shows throughout the community too since win 98, win xp had certifcation and they are skipping vista and doing certification for Windows 7.

I understand where you are coming from, and really with IE there is no "configuration" needed on a standard setup. But the amount of attacks that go on just because it is Microsoft's product makes the options more tempting as solid products come out like Firefox and Chrome.

My fear with Chrome is because Google has become this massive app house it is just an interface for them to bombard you with all these options regularly as part of sign-up campaigns.

One of their coolest partnership ideas was with Gilbarco, who does gas pump payment systems. While you wait for your gas, if you need directions you enter the destination and it generates a trip ticket using Google Maps.

Anything google is spyware in my opinion.

It shows throughout the community too since win 98, win xp had certifcation and they are skipping vista and doing certification for Windows 7.

Very cool!

eWeek did an article the other day on the "10 Worst Microsoft Mistakes" and Windows Vista was on that list as biggest flop. Even worse that it came out on or around 9-11-01, which they could have never controlled.

I loved Win98 and truly love XP. Even my company never jumped to Vista, but stayed firm on XP for desktops/laptops. Just not worth the support hassle.