• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walt Disney's Comics & Stories auctions from Heritage

31 posts in this topic

I thought the 38 was a steal, as was the lower grade #31.

Yea, I was the underbidder. I was saving the rest of my chips for #41 in a 9.6 cause I just love Mickey. And I got it at a favorable price considering what the later issues went for. :headbang:

Congrats, you got a great price on a great cover. I sold the other 9.6 copy privately several years ago for more.

#19 in 9.4 sold for $2400 (guide is $1250). Same issue in 9.4 sold last year for $15,000.

:o

That's more of a case of the winner last year paying way too much than the current winner getting a good deal (although the current winner did get a very good deal).

Ironically, I ended up the underbidder in both auctions. That ought to qualify for some kind of record...

#19 in 9.4 sold for $2400 (guide is $1250). Same issue in 9.4 sold last year for $15,000.

That's more of a case of the winner last year paying way too much than the current winner getting a good deal (although the current winner did get a very good deal).

Ironically, I ended up the underbidder in both auctions. That ought to qualify for some kind of record...

I can't believe you weren't willing to even bid 2X guide for it this time around! Even giving some credence to the rumors of warehouse copies, it seems unlikely that there might be so many more NM or better copies of this book that it won't be worth $2400 in 9.4.

^^

My dad of course.

WDC&S

:grin: (thumbs u

Andrew ... congrads to your dad David again ! :applause:

I shot all my big artillery yesterday and hit my targets.

Only brought a pee shooter today and went after two of those books your dad eventually ended up with and went after a few others and came up empty.

- Hank

Yea, I was the underbidder. I was saving the rest of my chips for #41 in a 9.6 cause I just love Mickey. And I got it at a favorable price considering what the later issues went for. :headbang:

Congratulations, GAfan, MrTech, and others. It was really nice to see so many different people sharing these gems at reasonable prices. I got much more than I had hoped for, too.

Thanks tb .... which of the Duck books did you most wanted that you wound up picking up ?

- Hank

Congrats, you got a great price on a great cover. I sold the other 9.6 copy privately several years ago for more.

Thanks tth2. And thanks for the info on the other copy.

Hopefully at a 9.6, it can stand as top census but who knows. (shrug)

I can't believe you weren't willing to even bid 2X guide for it this time around! Even giving some credence to the rumors of warehouse copies, it seems unlikely that there might be so many more NM or better copies of this book that it won't be worth $2400 in 9.4.

I keep thinking about that story where Donald is selling rare quarters that he finds in Scrooge's money bin. First, he sells one quarter to the coin dealer for $5, then 5 for $25, then 25 for $125 etc. Scrooge finds out and grumbles "rare coins are only rare because I make them rare!". Then he digs up 10,000 of the "rare" quarters and hands them to Donald. This time, the coin dealer is horrified and tells him to go dig them down somewhere or his own specimens won't be worth anything...

Even if geppi had 25 hg copies of each in various grades from vf to nm.. so what? a couple k a piece is not that bad. a few copies actually being available might help the market instead of hurt it.

I agree the prices on Thursday were very reasonable. I would have bought many more books, including the 19, but I had to prioritize.

Not to dwell too much on prices, but this auction was pretty remarkable. Here are just a few more or less random WDCS comparisons courtesy of GPAnalysis. The pattern was very consistent as far as I could tell:

2:

2007: 8,0 13,145

2009: 8.5 5,975

7:

2008: 7.5 6,573

2009: 9.2 7,170

26:

2007: 9.0 5,079

2009: 9.0 1,673

27:

2007: 9.0 4,481

2009: 9.6 3,884

28:

2008: 9.0 4,481

2009: 9.4 2,031

29:

2007: 9.2 5,975

2009: 9.2 1,793

30:

2003: 9.4 2,025

2009: 9.4 2,271

A lot could be said about this, but I think the numbers speak for themselves.

It's a great illustration that people were simply way overpaying in 2006 and 2007 for Duck books. I don't know whether it was the strong Euro, new blood in the hobby, hyper-competitive bidders, or what, but the prices during that period simply were not sustainable.

I consider myself to be an aggressive but ultimately semi-rational buyer, so when I started getting blown out of the water and saw Duck books going for prices that just blew my mind, I knew it was time to sell.

I've noticed that almost all of the FC Ducks, plus WDCS 140 and 203, that I sold in late 2006 are up in the current Comiclink auction. Between the current environment and their going on Clink, which in my opinion is NOT a good venue for selling Ducks, I can't see them going for anywhere near what they sold for in 2006. Hopefully I can win most of them back at decent discounts. It'll be like having been paid a fee to lend them out for a short few years!