• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many collectors ever worked in a comic store as an underaged worker?

33 posts in this topic

I started working in a comic shop (Camelot) in 1977 at the tender age of 14. Worked weekends for trade credit from then through high school.

Believe it or not I was still able to get a date to senior prom.

I also got this for six months work/trade...

mystic1.jpg

It wasn't slabbed back then.

Damn, I just realized I have been working in comic stores for longer than some of you tykes have been alive! doh!

Any of you guys that read modern indie comics may recognize the name Stuart Sayger. He did the Bionicle comic artwork and publishes his own book "Shiver in the Dark." He worked at my LCS (Comic Carnival in Indy) when he was about 11 or 12 and worked there for four or five years. I was unbelieveably jealous that a little kid got to work such a sweet job. They probably paid him $1 an hour. He may have even been related to the owners, I don't know. But I met him at a con and he is still a nice guy!

Believe it or not I was still able to get a date to senior prom.

Chicks dig tall guys. Even tall dorks. :frustrated:

Yes...yes they do. :cool:

I worked at Fat Jack's Comicrypt in Philly when I was 16 or 17 in the late 80's. Once I was paid with this:

:cloud9:

AllStarComics8_CGCVG35.jpg

:applause:

I was always at Fat Jack's in the late eighties. They had an amazing selection of GA in those days! :cloud9:

They sure did! I bought my very first GA book, Whiz Comics #12, there in '87. I remember once, I think it was around 1990, on the wall Mike had Flash Comics #1, Batman #1, Wonder Woman #1, Sensation Comics #1, Green Lantern #1, Whiz #1 and probably some other good ones that I'm forgetting. :o You just don't see that in comic stores anymore. :cry:

They sure did! I bought my very first GA book, Whiz Comics #12, there in '87. I remember once, I think it was around 1990, on the wall Mike had Flash Comics #1, Batman #1, Wonder Woman #1, Sensation Comics #1, Green Lantern #1, Whiz #1 and probably some other good ones that I'm forgetting. :o You just don't see that in comic stores anymore. :cry:

I remember that! And, of course, I didn't have the money to buy them. But I did get loads of GA books from them, including lots of mid to late forties Action and Detective's. And I grabbed a ton of GA Batman from them during the Batmania boom of '89.

Good times. :cloud9: