• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stock market is at 1996 levels ..... so why can't I buy comics at 1996 prices?

96 posts in this topic

Did you get the meat bloody as hell again?

You vampire. lol

:devil:

Andy,

My opinion of the economy still the same as it was months ago. The market needed this correction for the future to be bright. We all can contribute to helping the country get back on track no matter how small.

I am just being optomistic.

Investors that are sinking their dow into HG vintage CGC books I think is a short-term move, but I still don't see the comic vintage market crashing or losing much value in the long term.

Do I think the prices of books like AF #15 are over valued right now, YES.

However, I don't believe the value will shoot down to a bubble bursting level.

All just my opinion. :shy:

John

Deleting this...my record stands on its own. People want to know what I think, they can go read the "Gold price hits $500/oz." thread in the Water Cooler and they can judge for themselves how right or wrong I've been if they really want to. (shrug)

Not attacking or calling you into doubt... just wondering how you sidestepped the market implosion?

What did you delete? I missed it.

Deleting this...my record stands on its own. People want to know what I think, they can go read the "Gold price hits $500/oz." thread in the Water Cooler and they can judge for themselves how right or wrong I've been if they really want to. (shrug)

Not attacking or calling you into doubt... just wondering how you sidestepped the market implosion?

A lot of people saw the implosion coming for years before it showed up.

(shrug)

(shrug)

It's one thing to say that..... it's another to apply the correct timing.

Market bear Jeremy Grantham has been calling it for six years - at some point it can be said a broken clock is correct twice a day.

(shrug)

Market bear Jeremy Grantham has been calling it for six years - at some point it can be said a broken clock is correct twice a day.

A buddy of mine has been preaching it to me since eaqrly 2006 and he's been waiting for it since the early 2000's. He's been talking to me about overextended loans, deleveraging, derivatives etc. He's been positioning himself for the fall.

There are people who made a killing off of this implosion by hedging against the stock markets. I'm not one of them although I did heed his advice and position myself accordingly.

Just saying that the signs have been there for a long time but people refuse to see what is right in front of them sometimes. It took me two years to believe my buddy.

R.

(shrug)

A buddy of mine has been preaching it to me since eaqrly 2006 and he's been waiting for it since the early 2000's. He's been talking to me about overextended loans, deleveraging, derivatives etc. He's been positioning himself for the fall.

There are people who made a killing off of this implosion by hedging against the stock markets. I'm not one of them although I did heed his advice and position myself accordingly.

Just saying that the signs have been there for a long time but people refuse to see what is right in front of them sometimes. It took me two years to believe my buddy.

R.

Not disagreeing at all.... but timing matters. Dow was around 7500 at its low in 2002, and rose to a high of around 14500. If you played defense from the early 2000s in anticipation (correctly) of a market collapse, how much run-up did you miss? If you shorted early, did you get squeezed? Genius wouldn't have been foretelling the market sag.... genius would have been switching from long to short in early 2007.

(shrug)

R.

ask your buddy to tell us what will happen to comics values!

(shrug)

R.

ask your buddy to tell us what will happen to comics values!

I can't I'm scared.

:eek:

Problem is you are using hindsight for your comparison. Stocks are down and you are comparing one of the best runs in comics. How about we have this a year ago and you bought RIM or Birkshire at low points. Then take into account your higher sell fees on comics and the fact that xpercent would probably come back restored because some dealer ripped you off :D

Bruce

Bruce;

You are exactly right as both of your above extreme scenarios are based upon looking in the rear view mirror.

Almost reminds of the often made comment that SA books are the thing while GA books are absolutely dead. Of course, they are usually referring to HG early ASM books versus mid-grade 2nd tier GA books. :screwy:

It always make much more sense to compare a basket of goods in one sector to a relative basket of equivalent goods in another sector. hm