• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lord of the Rings Return of the King 5 Stars

25 posts in this topic

I don't know if I completely agree about the ending explanation as to why having Sam say his line being the close. One of the reasons why there had to be a change in some of the dialog and the writing that was done in all three movies is to make the visual experience a different one than that of the books. So... other than having it as the tip of the cap to those that read the book, the moviegoers see Sam's return home as a lengthing of the movie, perhaps unnecessarily.

This is a very, very minor point, and I loved the movie.

As for Oscar considerations, this was an INCREDIBLY weak year for Best Picture, and I believe Return of the King will be nominated, although I do not expect it to win because the Oscar committee tends to look down on this type of move to reward as the best picture. That being said, I think they do want to reward the accomplishment and will award PJ with a best director Oscar. Most people are impressed with what an incredible achievement this was simply in the history of filmmaking.

Hmmm. I think you would put "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit." before "Well, I'm back." on that list.

And yes, the Mouth of Sauron, the fall of Saurman, the Houses of the Healing (where Faramir and Eowyn get together) all will appear in the extended release. Dang! That thing will be 5 hours long! grin.gif

I was able to overlook those things though, when the Eowyn/Witch-king battle, Shelob (wicked creepy!), The Battle of Pellenor Fields and the Army of the Dead were done so masterfully.

Now us old time Tolkien-ites have to put up with these young whippersnappers spouting off on Middle-earth based on seeing the movies and never reading the books. sumo.gif

when the Eowyn/Witch-king battle

i remembered that part from the animated hobbit. laugh.gif i recall it was more powerful in the animated version, or maybe i was a little kid when i watched it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif but i knew exactly what was happening when the scene was developing. 893applaud-thumb.gif