• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC price changes

119 posts in this topic

Putting aside wait times, as I read it, at the cheapest those 1975-1979 books used to be $15 (if done 10 at a time) and now they're going to be $23 (submitting 30 at a time)? [assuming you're under the FMV cap]

That's a pretty steep hike. I understand not having raised prices, etc., but they're raising these prices at a time when some of these books are fetching less and less, particularly if you don't get back 9.8s. That bump has pretty much killed my desire to submit the 75-100 bronzers from that period that I thought might be slab-worthy.

I also don't entirely buy "prices have to go up." Actually, we're in a deflationary period. Rents and real estate prices in Sarasota have gone down. Wages have gone down (from last year at least). And part of the cost in CGC's early years was the learning curve. Actually, they should be doing this sort of work more efficiently and it should be costing them less to do it.

Just curious if CGC's costs really have gone up.

I also don't see any basis of now differentiating 1975-1979 and 1980-present in the price structure other than to get a "piece of the action." They know they can't really charge much more for most moderns, so they don't try.

A dollar does not have the value (buying power) it did six year ago. Or three years ago. Just on that basis alone, CGC would need to raise prices. CGC's main "cost" are the slabs, most likely. So, I would say without hesitation that the cost to purchase the slabs has gone up over six years. And the cost to ship them the slabs has probably gone up also.

I'm fine with the changes, probably long overdue, but the timing in a recession

is puzzling.

Note CGC is no longer offering anything on a label return. I always thought the token 5.00 credit was given as incentive for submitters so CGC could maintain the integrity of the Census. Won't the census be compromised by this change ?

Maybe they were not getting many labels sent in anyway.

Prices are now much higher than 18 months ago when you were able to get the 20% of discount. The standard was then $49 x 80% = $39.10. They are now $54 x 90% = $48.60. From $39.10 to $48.60 is a staggering 24% increase in just over a year - holy shizzle.

I agree that the price increase is long overdue.

I think it was a mistake to hold off this long on a price increase. Rent, insurance premiums, cost of labor, cost of materials, and other business expenses go up incrementally year over year. Waiting six years for a price increase creates unnecessary pressure on profitability for the company in the intervening years and the resulting jump in service fees will probably cause something of a shock to the customer base until they get accustomed to it.

I think it's better to build in a smaller, annual price increase from this point forward rather than waiting another six years before the next one. It'll hurt customers less, will disrupt demand less, and will cause less pressure on profitability.

Just my two cents. It isn't like I run the company or anything. lol

http://cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.asp?IDArticle=1206

I was just thinking today, that they haven't raised their rates in a long time. Anyone catch the update yet? If not, the link is above.

I completely understand the need to do so. They need to make money, and six years without a price change is pretty much un-heard of.

Still, it will hurt :eek: The biggest problem for me is the "Modern" tier date change from 1975 to 1980. Most of the books I send in are from late-1975. Certainly, 75% of my submissions are from 1975-1980. Going from $15 for a 20 day turnaround time, to being forced to submit those books "economy" for $32 and a 40 day turnaround time...it will hurt. To get the books back in the same 20 day turnaround time will be $40 (eco. fast track). No complaints, as I knew it was coming. But, it will be felt on my end significantly. :(

Smokes a few years back were under $6 a pack. Today in some places they can cost almost $10 a pack with the norm around $8.00.

People will either pay asking prices for smokes or quit, same with slabbing.

If you know what you are doing and sell enough slabbed books, your collection will always be self funding.

BTW, I'm up to 2 packs a day :banana:

1980 to present - NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :frustrated:

Bronze Collectors are out of luck.

First my 20 and 30% coupons go away for good, and now this. :pullhair:

Guess I better put together an April submission and then go cold turkey for awhile.

Smokes a few years back were under $6 a pack. Today in some places they can cost almost $10 a pack with the norm around $8.00.

Good lord man! Smokes here just jumped over $6 with the new excise tax and expected to go up again in a couple of months.Forcing myself back from 1 pack to 10 smokes a day.

Good lord man! Smokes here just jumped over $6 with the new excise tax and expected to go up again in a couple of months.Forcing myself back from 1 pack to 10 smokes a day.

No, Its Forcing you and Nik to stop freakin smokin for God sake! :sumo:

:hi:

People will either pay asking prices for smokes or quit, same with slabbing.

Do I have to quit getting stuff slabbed too? :(

A dollar does not have the value (buying power) it did six year ago. Or three years ago.

It depends on what you're buying. If you're buying or renting real estate in Florida, a dollar has a heck of a lot more buying power than it did 3 years ago. And if you're buying a car, I think it does as well based on the desperation I see (basically I can buy the new version of my car for almost the same price I paid for a 1 year old with 35K/miles version). You sure can buy a lot more shares of GM, GE and Citibank for your dollar nowadays!

To be honest, a lot of things are down right now. Some things got bumped up last year due to $4/gallon gas and have stayed up there even though gas prices went down to $2.

As for 6 years ago, you're right, but I think learning curve/efficiency should offset a lot of it. Hence I don't think the 10% hikes on some of the tiers are a big deal, but jacking 1975-1979 books up by over 50% all at once is huge (and doubling in some cases is huger).

PANSY!

Before I quit I was up to two lighters a day!

(That is an old Bill Hicks joke (thumbs u )

Sweet, the 1975 to 1979 stuff is mostly drek.

Makes it easier for me to fill the value tier now that the period has changed and that the minimum value has increased to $150.

:headbang:

Sweet, the 1975 to 1979 stuff is mostly drek.

Makes it easier for me to fill the value tier now that the period has changed and that the minimum value has increased to $150.

:headbang:

Didn't they tell you? They increased the price for Romance book submissions to $100 per book for the SlowAs Tier.

I :luhv: CGC, but the 1975-1979 increase is out of line. :boo:
I dont agree. Financially for them it was a very smart move. How many X-Men have you ubmitted that you had less then $100.00 into and made over $300.00? So the extra $20.00 would REALLY brake you?

No, Its Forcing you and Nik to stop freakin smokin for God sake! :sumo:

:hi:

Ill quit smoking when you stop drinking and pressing books.