• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why did no one want this book?

21 posts in this topic

I think his res is $180. It's the 3rd time he's listed the book in 1 month. I've done many deals with him and I offered him $125 but he passed and said he would wait it out.

But my point is, it didn't even get to double guide.

Don't people collect DCs in high grade?

I think his res is $180. It's the 3rd time he's listed the book in 1 month. I've done many deals with him and I offered him $125 but he passed and said he would wait it out.

But my point is, it didn't even get to double guide.

Don't people collect DCs in high grade?

sure..just not Atom

The reserve deters a lot of bidders...it's a pshycological thing...if bidders don't think that they have a chance of making a killing on a book they steer away from it... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I love Atom books but they are way undervalued and underappreciated... 893frustrated.gif

Can the same be said for Metal Men, Hawkman, Metamorpho and the original Aquaman series?

Or....is it just Atom?

I've read a few of these Atom's and they are not easy to get through.

Especially when they are slabbed.

The reason is that Atom 18 is a "common" DC book in NM. Census shows 6 copies in 9.4, and 1 in 9.8, and I've seen a few more unslabbed copies out there that would be 9.2 to 9.6. By Marvel standards, this may not be considered "common", but the pool of DC collectors is much much more shallow. So with this particular issue, I would guess that every collector of DC high grade silver looking for a copy already has one. I sold an Atom 18 in 9.4 earlier this year for about 2.4X Guide.

The DC market is a very 2-tiered animal. Put up a DC from the late 50s/early 60s in 9.4 or better, particularly in titles that are unbelievably difficult to find in NM, like JLA, Flash, GL, Showcase, B&B, and watch Guide go out the door. At the recent Heritage Signature Auction, Western Penn Flash in the 150s in 9.6 (circa 1965, not rare in high grade) were going for 10X, including BP.

But put up a DC from the mid-60s and watch the multiples flatten out even more quickly than they do for Marvels from the same period.

By the way, put up an Atom from 1-10 in 9.4, and see how heavy the bidding is then. I guarantee you it won't go for the same kind of multiple for this one.