• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sad that CGC's new bronze pricing will turn even 9.8's into $$ losers

86 posts in this topic

I dunno... maybe I am wrong. Just seems to me that we focus on the winners, but there are an awful lot of losers where people send in common midgrade books.

I daresay, when we consider all the books that have been slabbed thusfar (over 1,000,000) that the ratio may be as much as 1:1, and perhaps as much as 2:1, in "books slabbed that are no longer worth what it cost to slab them" vs. books that are.

A quick perusal of the Spawn #1s slabbed seems to support this.

As more books get slabbed, prices for those "not key, not hot" slabs go down, and more books move below that magic line that separates profit vs. loss when figuring in total cost to slab.

Sure, the original submitter of a Dawn 1/2 in 9.0 may have made a net profit, but someone, somewhere, has taken a loss on it since then. What is such a book worth? $1? $2? Novelty? It's not even worth the cost to SHIP, let alone slab.

A copy of X-O #7 CGC 9.8 closed for $6.08 on ebay Sunday night. Oy. doh!

I'm pizzed that I forgot to bid, but I wouldn't have gone higher than $15.

I don't know the answer, so I'll throw this out there...how many brand new coins are encased? You know the ones, common as muck, but in great shape? Is this a real money-maker in the coinee market? (shrug)

Thousands and thousands and thousands.

Really?

OK, in that case, CGC are probably going nowhere anytime soon. (thumbs u

Well....

But the US mint...and that's just one country...makes billions of coins a year. I'd be surprised if even 1 billion comics total is printed in any given year.

Here's an example of "the latest" (note the clever stuff PCGS and NGC have come up with):

253915650_o.jpg

When I first started collecting (at the turn of the century)everyone knew how to grade.Im really shocked at the percent of people who cant grade to save their lives.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but I'll answer anyway. I don't think any more people used to grade in the past any better than now. What has happened though is CGC made collectors tighten up their grading. There's not as much of a spread for NM as before for example. So essentially what was generally regarded a NM in the past by the majority of collectors is now considered a VF. And if a seller has not tighten their grading over the years to reflect, then they will be seen as not being able to grade...

Jim

Jim,

I've got to disagree with you here. CGC grading standards (whatever they are) are much looser and today's NM is the old VF/NM.

Granted there was more blatant over-grading across the board in the past, but properly graded VF's of 1989 are now VF/NMs and NMs twenty years later.

--Gary

But who was doing this "proper grading"...?

Ok, you and who else?

That's a serious question, I'm not being snide. The amount of books I refused to buy in the early 90's (silver, bronze, "copper") that were "Near Mint" that would not now sit in a slab higher than 6.5 was astonishing.

And I'm talking from THE BIG BOYS, across the board.

Buy the book and not the grade is what is said often. In most cases that is good advice. Sometimes it requires returning books to unhappy sellers, and it is not their fault. If CGC says it is a 9.8, how can one argue that it is not, after a purchase?

There are people on this very board who have received 9.8s, been dissatisfied with CGC's grading (not the seller's fault OR problem), then, when said seller says "Ok, that's fine, you can return the book" (which most sellers won't do), said buyer behaved as if it was the SELLER who had "overgraded" the book, then refused to pay return shipping for it, claimed the book had "SCS" when it did not, and then returned the book via media mail, simply taking the box back and "refusing" it at the post office, even though that's against the rules. Then, when the package fails to show up back to the seller in a month, the buyer files a chargeback, instead of patiently waiting for either the insurance claim (because, natch, the book is insured), or the book to finally show up.

All the time, blaming the seller for everything and behaving as if the seller personally wronged the buyer, even though the seller delivered what was promised, and accepted a return on a CGC graded book.

A chargeback on a seller's Paypal account is a very bad thing, even if the seller is vindicated. First, the money is unceremoniously ripped out of the seller's account while the "dispute" is processed (which can take months), and second, the chargeback accusation remains on the seller's account as a black mark...like accusing someone of child molestation. Even if they are totally innocent, just the accusation can do serious damage to their reputation.

Sad, but true.

Buy the book and not the grade is what is said often. In most cases that is good advice. Sometimes it requires returning books to unhappy sellers, and it is not their fault. If CGC says it is a 9.8, how can one argue that it is not, after a purchase?

There are people on this very board who have received 9.8s, been dissatisfied with CGC's grading (not the seller's fault OR problem), then, when said seller says "Ok, that's fine, you can return the book" (which most sellers won't do), said buyer behaved as if it was the SELLER who had "overgraded" the book, then refused to pay return shipping for it, claimed the book had "SCS" when it did not, and then returned the book via media mail, simply taking the box back and "refusing" it at the post office, even though that's against the rules. Then, when the package fails to show up back to the seller in a month, the buyer files a chargeback, instead of patiently waiting for either the insurance claim (because, natch, the book is insured), or the book to finally show up.

All the time, blaming the seller for everything and behaving as if the seller personally wronged the buyer, even though the seller delivered what was promised, and accepted a return on a CGC graded book.

A chargeback on a seller's Paypal account is a very bad thing, even if the seller is vindicated. First, the money is unceremoniously ripped out of the seller's account while the "dispute" is processed (which can take months), and second, the chargeback accusation remains on the seller's account as a black mark...like accusing someone of child molestation. Even if they are totally innocent, just the accusation can do serious damage to their reputation.

Sad, but true.

Sounds like a problem buyer. Didn't know the Forums had any of those. meh

Sad, but true.

Sounds like a problem buyer. Didn't know the Forums had any of those. meh

:o