• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which late issue Disney Gladstone's are worth picking up?

23 posts in this topic

Merry Christmas Everyone!

One of the local stores just received a run of late (including last) issue Gladstone Walt Disney comics. I picked up the final issues of Uncle Scrooge and WDC&S based on a message posted in another thread, but I was wondering if there are any other issues that would be worth picking up. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Just pick up all the rosa issues and maybe the last issue of donald. highlights other than the ones you picked up would be US 285-297,306, 310,311,314, any of the squarebound wdcs's with non-reprint rosa stories, adventurous scrooge mcduck #2, US in the Yukon giant, etc. Donald duck adventures 34, 37 (disney). Donald duck adventures 43 (?) (rosa golden helmet sequel, newsprint cover), uncle scrooge adventures 27,51. Donald 283 isn't bad either. US 300 is OK.

I expect a 10% commission sign-rantpost.gif

Hey Bronty,

Thanks for the info. I take it that the Mickey Mouse issues are not worth much at all then.

Instead of a commission, I will give you first dibs offline on any that I decide to sell. Sound fair?

Cheers,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

I was kidding completely about the commission wink.gif but if you wanted to give me first dibs I can't say I'd complain. smile.gif Thanks! Maybe I can get some doubles of the few I only have singles of! thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, the mickey's aren't too valuable although if it's cheap enough it might be worth picking up the last issue for kicks.

cheers,

Dan

actually I didn't - I got a bunch of the late ones for a bag of beans and a couple of chocolate chip cookies, and am wondering if they're worth trying to sell or opening to read in the bathtub.

tongue.giflaugh.gif

Besides, you can't begrudge me having them... I was just about the ONLY person going out of his way to pick up multiples back then... it looked like a complete loser as an investment as disneys had been in steady decline for like twenty years.. but I bought em because I love them and it looks like it will turn out well. Besides, we're not talking about mile high copies of early detective comics here!!

AARGH!!! I was not able to drop by the store on boxing day due to family commitments and one of their regular Disney collectors picked up all of the other squarebound late issues that they had. However, I was able to grab the following for $4.00 apiece (all are unread store stock he got in a couple of weeks ago):

Uncle Scrooge #210 NM/NM+ (1st Gladstone issue)

Uncle Scrooge #219 NM/NM+ (Son of the SunSon by Rosa)

Uncle Scrooge #219 NM/MT (Son of the Sun by Rosa - looks llike a 9.8 to me)

Uncle Scrooge #227 NM+ (Rosa - this one was only $1.00)

Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #511 NM (1st Gladstone issue)

Walt Disney's Comics & Stories #512 NM/NM+

Was this a good deal, or did I get taken? It seemed like a decent deal based on the OS prices. Also, are any of these books worth sending in to CGC?

Thanks,

Ryan

For $4 each for high grade copies you did quite well but they are not really worth sending to cgc... those early series one gladstones are fantastic books but overvalued in the guide. The later ones were definitely the ones to snag so you sort of missed out. You'll see at least 10 copies of US 210 or 219 for every US 310 or 318 that you see. But the good news is that US 219 is one of the very best books of the 1980s!! cool.gif And you can't beat the barks "money soup" cover on 210 thumbsup2.gif

(FYI US 227 only has a page or two of rosa art so that's likely why it was cheaper)

Should have snagged 224 as well, that's one of the top five best early rosa stories as well cool.gif