• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Messy distributor ink

30 posts in this topic

Hello, I recently bought some really nice ASM on Ebay, including several #129s, a few 121s, a few 122s, etc. Anyway, very nice, flat, clean books with bright white pages. I got a pretty good deal on them due to many having splotchy excess distributor ink. Some on the spine, some dripping from the upper or lower edge onto the front and back covers, etc. Without this excess ink these books would all be in the 8.5 to 9.4 area or so. Anyway, my question is this: say you see a #129 8.0 that looks like a 9.2 if it wasn't for the ink, and then you saw an 8.0 with no ink that looked like an 8.0. Which do you prefer? In otherwords, would you prefer a better quality book with sloppy ink marks or a book without the ink and showing more wear? Just curious. I am just wondering how distracted people are by excess distributor ink. I know it depends on each individual case. Maybe if I get around to it I will post a couple scans. By the way, the seller was very up front about this ink and posted very clear scans so I knew what I was buying. Oh yeah, I also bought a few Giant-Size X-Men #1s and X-Men #94s with the same problem, of course some better and worse than others. Thanks-----Sid boo.gif

Were these from the infamous bettyswalls/calm-mix horde?

If so, then I've seen quite a few of his X-Men 94/GS X-Men #1 ink-stained copies coming back in the 7.X range, and I think even CGC downgrades at that level of ink.

Personally speaking (if it is the same seller), the cat's out of the bag with these books, and tons of people follow those auctions, so what you paid is about what they're worth.

For me, I stay away from those ink-stained copies like the plague, especially at the prices currently being realized.

Were these from the infamous bettyswalls/calm-mix horde?

If so, then I've seen quite a few of his X-Men 94/GS X-Men #1 ink-stained copies coming back in the 7.X range, and I think even CGC downgrades at that level of ink.

Personally speaking (if it is the same seller), the cat's out of the bag with these books, and tons of people follow those auctions, so what you paid is about what they're worth.

For me, I stay away from those ink-stained copies like the plague, especially at the prices currently being realized.

YES!!!! They are from this guy and I really like this seller. He is honest and up front and I have been a huge buyer of his books. I always wondered how this guy got so many of these. He has been a perfect dealer with me but he never wanted to answer this question. I did send in a few #129s to CGC and one with slight ink received a 9.2 and the others a 7.5. A GSX came back in 7.0. ---Sid

I'm including a scan here of an ASM #129 that was not purchased from the above named seller but from another guy that has been also listing many #129s (where do these guys get all of these?). Anyway, this copy is similar as my others in the sense that it does have the ink. This one in particular is a very nice copy but has some of the ugliest ink stains. Notice the bottom, spine and directly above the Punisher's arm. Without the ink I would say 9.2, with the ink, I dunno, hard to say. This seller was also very up front about the ink. I paid $190 plus $15 shipping.-----Sid boo.gif

347642-ASM129.jpg.983307a5a2ea63c8c1e7c3d5f46b5aac.jpg

I always wondered how this guy got so many of these.

These are newstand returns (remainder) copies, and since he owns a bookstore, I assume he bought warehouse stock and is selling it off.

In terms of numbers, he's been selling key issues by the hundreds, long before many of you even realized it. Awe apparently bought some before I even knew about the guy, and even since I've been tracking, there must have been 100+ of some issues listed.

I'm waiting for him to break out the Hulk 181's. grin.gif

I always wondered how this guy got so many of these.

These are newstand returns (remainder) copies, and since he owns a bookstore, I assume he bought warehouse stock and is selling it off.

In terms of numbers, he's been selling key issues by the hundreds, long before many of you even realized it. Awe apparently bought some before I even knew about the guy, and even since I've been tracking, there must have been 100+ of some issues listed.

I'm waiting for him to break out the Hulk 181's. grin.gif

Yep....they're remainder copies....but some (most) are beautiful nonetheless ink or no ink. The secret is to check his auctions regularly and wait until those with no or minor ink stains are offered. Well worth the wait.....

The seller is not the most communication friendly chap either. I've developed some semblance of communication with the guy but it took quite a long time. But then again I've been buying from him since he began selling on eBay....

And he does have hundreds of copies of key issues. He is well over offering a hundred issues (maybe up to two hundred now?) of X-Men #94, GS #1, ASM #129, and #121 (has some exceptional copies of this issue in particular). I personally don't think he has any issues of Hulk #181 though. They would have surfaced when he was offering his Hulk runs. But then again, I though he's maxed out his #94 run and was wrong there.....

Jim

Yes, up until a few weeks ago when I ran out of comic buying money (and credit - sheesh) I was following this guy's auctions like a shadow and I bought at least five #129s within minutes of being listed. I don't know why, but he always sells 3-packs including the #129, Giant-Size #4 and Marvel Preview #2. Never individually even though I think he would get the same prices for the #129 alone. I e-mailed the guy once asking why he didn't slab the better copies and he never got back to me on it. Sure, none of my business but I was just trying to be friendly. Also, I bought 3 or 4 of his other two or three packs which included X-Men Giant and/or King Size #2 with the GSX #1. The copies that I have received back from CGC almost all have White pages and of course are downgraded accordingly depending on the level of excess ink. Yeah, I've received some nice 121s and 122s as well. Waiting to receive my last 121 then I'm done. Some of the copies luckily only have very minor, almost insignificant excess ink. I don't know what I am going to do with my three lots of Spidey Super Stories that I bought but I'm sure I'll figure it out sometime. -----Sid

I e-mailed the guy once asking why he didn't slab the better copies and he never got back to me on it.

Personally, I think he knows he's missed the boat (his early copies were immaculate) and due to the reputation of his earlier books, is now actually making more money raw than slabbed.

For example, check the ending prices of those X-Men 94 and GS X-Men #1's. They're above $300, and sometimes $350 or more.

Now check out those guys who bought them, slabbed them as CGC 7.0 or 7.5. How much are they worth?

Here's a hint. I know of a couple of buyers (I always like to look back to see what CGC they received) who bought an X-Men 94 VF/NM for $350+, slabbed it, and then sold it for around $250.

That works out great for calm-mix, as he's not out the grading fee, and gained $100+ over the slabbed cost. Seems like good business, at least using the books he's been selling for the past 6 months or so.

doesnt it worry you a little to know that this one guy has such hoards of these books?? Why kep buying multiples?

Well I can tell you why I bought multiples....

Because of the ink problems on some of the books, buying multiple lots (and when I was buying them regularly, they were very cheap) enabled me to put together very HG runs (minus the ink) of multiple titles. The money paid overall was less than what I would have paid to get the same single HG run issue by issue on eBay. Not to mention actually getting the grade you paid for.

Also, some of the books are exceptional copies and, for someone that been wanting these issues in strict HG for awhile, the temptation of getting additional copies in your collection gets the better of you. Again if the money's right....get them while you can because you may not be able to later, or at least bang yourself over the head for passing up the opportunity....

Jim

i got a ASM 121 and 129 from him for $75! it was suppose to be a ASM 122 but he shipped me the wrong book. they came back CGC 8.0 & 8.5 respectively. thumbsup2.gif i got those book so cheap, cause back when he first started listing them, he didn't list them under "comics" section, but books. blush.gif893frustrated.gifforeheadslap.gif

Although I did buy many of these books to resell, by no means does that mean I will resell them as soon as I get them back from CGC. I don't want to try and sell slabbed calm-mix books while calm-mix is still selling his endless duplicates. But if I hold them for six months, a year or whenever/if ever the well runs dry then maybe I can make more than that $250, $300 or so. Of course with the Punisher books the idea was to capitalize on the movie. Funny how those slabbed #129s are selling in similar grades at almost the same price as slabbed GSX #1 and #94 even though they book at 3-4 times that of #129.

i got a ASM 121 and 129 from him for $75! it was suppose to be a ASM 122 but he shipped me the wrong book. they came back CGC 8.0 & 8.5 respectively. thumbsup2.gif i got those book so cheap, cause back when he first started listing them, he didn't list them under "comics" section, but books. blush.gif893frustrated.gifforeheadslap.gif

I'm totally with ya there Pimpy, and you probably know about my "won't ship to Canada" nightmare, when I was following his BIN auctions religiously, looking for a pristine, non-inked copy... 893frustrated.gif

His early books were pristine, and if you watched his BINs and scans, you could make out like a bandit.

But you can't go back in time, and the books he's selling now are way overpriced, assuming you're going to try and flip them. Why these muttonheads pay $360 for a VF+ inked X-Men 94 (CGC 7.0-7.5) instead of paying a $100 less for a CGC copy.... confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm totally with ya there Pimpy, and you probably know about my "won't ship to Canada" nightmare, when I was following his BIN auctions religiously, looking for a pristine, non-inked copy... 893frustrated.gif

His early books were pristine, and if you watched his BINs and scans, you could make out like a bandit.

But you can't go back in time, and the books he's selling now are way overpriced, assuming you're going to try and flip them. Why these muttonheads pay $360 for a VF+ inked X-Men 94 (CGC 7.0-7.5) instead of paying a $100 less for a CGC copy.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Go back and look at his feedback, you will see me (sansc57803) many times recently and I bought some Giant Size #1 a few times for under $300, sometimes by alot, plus they came with the "bonuses". Not a bad deal really. -----Sid

Very true.....you could almost peg the date he picked up a copy of Wizard. Like night and day....

Also, the quality of the key issues have suffered a bit. You really can't find exceptional copies of these being offered by him anymore. You can still get nice copies of the common issues though if you look close enough..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Go back and look at his feedback, you will see me (sansc57803) many times recently and I bought some Giant Size #1 a few times for under $300, sometimes by alot, plus they came with the "bonuses". Not a bad deal really. -----Sid

I agree, assuming you are not looking to profit upon resale.

I still buy a few common lots here and there, but I have no illusions about his raw keys being a deal anymore. That ship sailed after he listed an X-Men 94 NM at a $150 BIN, some insufficiently_thoughtful_person popped the cherry, and it sold for $350.

After that, he's bumped his BIN's considerably and the quality of his books (corresponding CGC grade) has fallen through the floor.

You're not the only person trying to flip them. There are at least three dealers who have been flipping slabbed copies for the last year. I've seen at least 5 slabbed copies of X-Men #94 and 4 GS #1 flipped on eBay this year that originally came from him. Not to mention 3 slabbed copies (including the infamous CGG copy) of ASM #121. And those are only the ones I caught from my casual browsing. I'm sure there were many others.....

Jim