• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-man popularity is amazing given lack of "name" artists who drew him

43 posts in this topic

As far as Ron Frenz is concerned, I liked his work on Thor much more than ASM. On Thor he was channeling Kirby. On ASM he was channeling Ditko. I like his faux Kirby better. (shrug)

As much as I enjoyed Mcfarlane back when he started on ASM, I've really come to dislike his work since then.

Jim Mooney's inks provided some art continuity during this time.

Jim Mooney, much like Vinnie Colletta ruined just about every penciler he inked. :cry:

I like Mooney!! 'Course I like a lot of Colleta's work too. Different tastes, I guess.

Now for someone we can agree on; I remember another thread recently where you commented on your appreciation of Russ Heath. Mr. Heath is one of the only "non-Marvel" artists that I collect OA on (Jim Mooney as well, hee hee! ...and Kubert). Heath's Sea Devils work and DC War is awesome. I own a couple examples and love them.

In fact my all-time favorite comic story, art-wise, is one Mr. Heath did for Warren's Blazing Combat, issue #4, I think. About an American soldier and a bottle of French wine. Just beautiful and the pinnacle of sequential art in my opinion. The best. Ever.

...so even differing tastes can converge I suppose!!!

Cheers,

David