• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dumb question, but consider the source

24 posts in this topic

How, or should I say could, someone send a Ped in for re-grading and still have it slabbed as a Ped?

I assume the obvious answer is to send it in the slab, but wouldn't it likely get the same grade that's on the label?

Fell free to mock away and :makepoint: me, but I'm a relative newb to the slabbing public.

I assume the obvious answer is to send it in the slab, but wouldn't it likely get the same grade that's on the label?

Nope. People have sent in books to be re-holder or re-graded and the grade got knocked down. The ped designation would remain, but not necessarily the grade.

Nope. People have sent in books to be re-holder or re-graded and the grade got knocked down. The ped designation would remain, but not necessarily the grade.

Not exactly, if I understand correctly. If it's simply a re-holder submission, the grade would remain unless damage to the slab occurred and affected the book.

I meant if the book was submitted to be re-graded, which could in some cases change the grade. Why else would someone re-submit? Thanks anyway for the (non-wizeazz) response.

The grader should not know about the previous label. Send it in, get the $5 discount and the pedigree will stay with it, fool.

I said it was okay to mock away if you like, but I don't care for being called fool, friend-o. Crystal?

Not exactly, if I understand correctly. If it's simply a re-holder submission, the grade would remain unless damage to the slab occurred and affected the book.

It has been posted before that re-holder submissions have indeed been returned with different grades. One was even a better grade :gossip:

For reholder, the grade will stay the same unless some kind of damage has occurred within the slab, in which case you should be notified ASAP.

For regrading, the book is removed from the slab before being given to the grader. It is graded without the bias of knowing the previous grade, however the information about pedigree will be noted on the new slab whether the grade went up, down or remained the same.

It has been posted before that re-holder submissions have indeed been returned with different grades. One was even a better grade :gossip:

My Tec #10 went from a 4.0 to a 3.0 on a reholder and PQ check. There was aboslutely no damage to the book at all. Let's just say I was not pleased.

PQ improved.

meh

For reholder, the grade will stay the same unless some kind of damage has occurred within the slab, in which case you should be notified ASAP.

For regrading, the book is removed from the slab before being given to the grader. It is graded without the bias of knowing the previous grade, however the information about pedigree will be noted on the new slab whether the grade went up, down or remained the same.

Thank you. That was what I wasn't sure of and you explained it perfectly. My apologies for the sarcastic response. (thumbs u

My Tec #10 went from a 4.0 to a 3.0 on a reholder and PQ check. There was aboslutely no damage to the book at all. Let's just say I was not pleased.

PQ improved.

meh

did they explain this - or did they just send it back and :o surprise!?

after reading this and other reholder experiences I am deathly afraid to send in a few books I have been meaning to get reholdered...

PQ improved.

meh

Ouch.

I've never seen that one. I think PokerKid validated my thought on it. (shrug)

BTW...I agree with your thread about this forum. I registered quite a while back, but have only been frequenting it for 6-8 months. It is everything you stated it was. Well said.

Well, I got a phone call and they dropped the news that way. I was not pleased.

They now have a disclaimer stating: Comics submitted for Recertification with their original label ARE NOT GUARANTEED TO RECEIVE THE SAME GRADE on the Submission portion of the website.

I'm not sure that graders see the book on a straight reholder but maybe because I asked for a PQ check they reviewed the book and dropped the grade.

R.

PQ improved.

meh

How the frig can that happen, Roy? What explanation did you get? I know you didn't just let it go.

A book submitted for reholder service, should not receive a different grade unless the book has been damaged in the slab and it is noticed by CGC. The book is not being subbed to be regraded.

I'm sure I've seen somewhere that the book is given an obligatory 'once over' before being encapsulated again as CGC wouldn't want to encapsulate a 9.6 as a 9.8 due to damage either inside the slab or after it has been removed. I can't say for definite as I don't honestly know.

So I think I'm going to sit on my two cracked 9.8s, I'm too paranoid to submit them for re-holdering.

A book resubmitted for reholder service, should not receive a different grade unless the book has been damaged in the slab and it is noticed by CGC. The book is not being resubbed to be regraded.

This is what I've always assumed to be true.