• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I thought Incredible Hulk 181(Wolverine) was rare and hard to find?

107 posts in this topic

It was carefully preserved by everyone from a very early date, and that is why there are so many high grade copies left.

Where do you come up with this stuff? :screwy:

Compare IH #181 to House Of Secrets #92 which also came out in 1972.

DING! DING! DING! - We have a winner! ^^ ^^ :roflmao:

I have never seen so many inaccuracies in a single post :whistle::P

I do have to admit since Hulk 181 and HOS 92 were both targets of mine over the past year the best I was able to find of a Hulk 181 was a 9.4, the best of HOS 92 was a 9.0 copy.

It is super-hard to find HOS 92 in high-grade, even though Comicmylar on eBay has a few of them (he also has a few Hulk 181s listed as well).

That means by 1979 everyone had their copy bagged and double boarded.

Wrong again . . . :insane:

I was around in 1979...there were comic bags and Mylars, but backing boards certainly hadn't been introduced then.

I do have to admit since Hulk 181 and HOS 92 were both targets of mine over the past year the best I was able to find of a Hulk 181 was a 9.4, the best of HOS 92 was a 9.0 copy.

It is super-hard to find HOS 92 in high-grade, even though Comicmylar on eBay has a few of them (he also has a few Hulk 181s listed as well).

HOS 92 is tough book for a number of factors . . . Personally, I think it's an anomaly. :)

In '79, my books were in ziplock bags, 10 to a bag, purchased at the grocery store. My copies of Hulk 180 and 181 moved with me from the East Coast to California in 1981 and back East again in '85, all without any backing boards. Miraculously, they both survived in great shape and now reside in 9.6 slabs.

I'm with Divad on this one. I don't remember thinking this ish was important until I returned to collecting in '92 and bought my first Overstreet guide. I also don't remember this book ever being a warehouse find. Finally, I remember Incredible Hulk in the mid seventies as being one of the most popular Marvel comics of all, topped only by ASM and FF. Simply put, it sold a bunch of copies, and did so at a time when comic collecting was in full bloom and people were taking great care in reading their new purchases.

In '79, my books were in ziplock bags, 10 to a bag, purchased at the grocery store. My copies of Hulk 180 and 181 moved with me from the East Coast to California in 1981 and back East again in '85, all without any backing boards. Miraculously, they both survived in great shape and now reside in 9.6 slabs.

I'm with Divad on this one. I don't remember thinking this ish was important until I returned to collecting in '92 and bought my first Overstreet guide. I also don't remember this book ever being a warehouse find. Finally, I remember Incredible Hulk in the mid seventies as being one of the most popular Marvel comics of all, topped only by ASM and FF. Simply put, it sold a bunch of copies, and did so at a time when comic collecting was in full bloom and people were taking great care in reading their new purchases.

:sumo: Pretty much the facts. :foryou:

I could have sworn someone mentioned that it was part of a warehouse find, Mile High II perhaps? I could be mistaken and if so, no biggie.

As David said, it's a common as dirt book that happens to command top dollar for a very popular character's second appearance.

I could have sworn someone mentioned that it was part of a warehouse find, Mile High II perhaps? I could be mistaken and if so, no biggie.

Someone may have mentioned it after seeing it in a mid-seventies ad of Chuckles. To my knowledge, the MHII warehouse books are occasional issues published in the sixties, and it seems highly unlikely that the same warehouse would have mass quantities of issues scattered over 10 or more years of publication.

As David said, it's a common as dirt book that happens to command top dollar for a very popular character's second appearance.

Demand is an amazing thing in collectibles.

I am thinking that the same find had a ton of Giant Size X-Men #1 books as well.

I don't recall a warehouse find, but I do remember Ron from Surf City Comics bringing a large quantity of high grade 181 Hulks to SD back in the early 90's. Is he a member of these boards? Or perhaps someone who knows him can ask him how many were in the find.

My recollection, though not certain, was that it was a case of them.

HOS 92 is tough book for a number of factors . . . Personally, I think it's an anomaly. :)

Yeah, I have to agree with you. HOS 92 has that tough dark cover that picks up stress lines easily, But Hulk 181 has that bright red, so I guess you can say that doesn't make it any easier condition-wise.

Either book is great to have though in decent grade.

:hi: How's it goin'? :)

Hey David! :hi:

Re the House Of Secrets 92/Hulk 181 comparison - no question which book caught fire first. Swamp Thing very rapidly became a fan favorite, receiving plenty of awards for Wein and Wrightson's 10 issues, so HOS 92 began being sought after not too long after that.

Hulk 181, as far as I can recall, only really took off after Claremont made Wolvie a serious player in the X-Men (around issue 130 or thereabouts) and gained serious attention after the Miller miniseries.

Annoyingly, Hulk 181, along with X-Men 94 and Giant-Size X-Men 1 were all non-distributed books in the U.K., so demand may have increased earlier there than the U.S. due to this localized scarcity.