• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I thought Incredible Hulk 181(Wolverine) was rare and hard to find?

107 posts in this topic

Isn't arguing whether this book was a warehouse find really semantics? Fact is that this book having 3912 graded copies makes this comic common as dirt. Yeah, the demand is sky's the limit with particular title, but the fact remains that this book is nowhere near rare.

Isn't arguing whether this book was a warehouse find really semantics? Fact is that this book having 3912 graded copies makes this comic common as dirt. Yeah, the demand is sky's the limit with particular title, but the fact remains that this book is nowhere near rare.

^^

True, but a warehouse find would've tipped the balance between supply and demand and saturated the market with HG copies.

Of course, it does depend on the size of the warehouse find. :P

True, but a warehouse find would've tipped the balance between supply and demand and saturated the market with HG copies.

As tremendous a quantity in books as MHII was, I wouldn't be surprised there were Hulk 181s in the mix based on the timeframe Chuck says was covered.

Jduran1 knew Chuck for a long time. He tells of a section of the Mile High warehouse where limited access is allowed, and there are so many high-grade key books, you wouldn't think anything was rare after the 1950's. But his Adventure Comics collection is supposed to be some of the best copies he doesn't part with.

As tremendous a quantity in books as MHII was, I wouldn't be surprised there were Hulk 181s in the mix based on the timeframe Chuck says was covered.

Judran1 knew Chuck for a long time. He tells of a section of the Mile High warehouse where limited access is allowed, and there are so many high-grade key books, you wouldn't think anything was rare after the 1950's. But his Adventure Comics collection is supposed to be some of the best copies he doesn't part with.

I have to assume that Chuck is probably not sitting on a pile of high grade keys any longer, although I can't deny he must've stockpiled a vast inventory of great books back in the day (when Silver and Bronze were still common and had yet to explode).

He does still own the Mile High run of the Spirit, not sure what else he's kept back....

Hulk #181 was a key book already by the late 1970's

Uh, no . . . it wasn't :sumo:

:pullhair:

whatever

my basic point was that the earlier in time a bronze key was deemed to be a "key" by Overstreet and comic collectors then the more high grade copies you are going to find in existance

The new x-men books were going to big bucks by (approximately) 1979-1980

Given that fact, I think a more than a few people started putting away copies of Hulk #181 for preservation

And who says there were no backing boards? I used to manually cut my own backing boards as a kid (not realizing they had acid in them)

whatever

my basic point was that the earlier in time a bronze key was deemed to be a "key" by Overstreet and comic collectors then the more high grade copies you are going to find in existance

:gossip: Not even close.

whatever

Given that fact, I think a more than a few people started putting away copies of Hulk #181 for preservation

And who says there were no backing boards? I used to manually cut my own backing boards as a kid (not realizing they had acid in them)

Dude, no offense :grin: but many of us were there . . . Howard the Duck #1 was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay hotter than Hulk #181 . . . :roflmao:

Many of us remember when the only place you could get comic bags was from Howard M. Rogofsky! lol - 4 or 6-mil polys with his name and address printed on the back flap

aw jeez, you should just change your name to mr.negative. other than sellers right now on ebay, who is out there saying hulk 181 is rare and hard to find? go to any show and you can find plenty of copies of 179 and 183 in bargain boxes. So why would 181 (and its siblings, 180 and 182) be rare and hard to find? nobody has (seriously) ever said it is HTF. maybe in 9.8.

as has been said hundreds if not thousands of times on this board (and probably in this thread), the "value" of that book has little to do with rarity. it is a mid-70s mainstream marvel. there's nothing rare about it. it is simply the most highly sought after book of that era. end of story. one would think GS X-Men 1 should be, and it was for a long time, but add up all the "new" characters in that book and they don't add up to Wolvie, not by a long shot.

obviously there's money to be made, just like every other poster has noted, so people are selling, just like when hundreds of ASM 300s were being sold before the last spidey movie or the Spotlight 5s 2 years ago (admittedly, slightly less common than Hulk 181, but not at all uncommon --I've owned 3 copies of the book and never even sought out a copy)

whatever

:gossip: Not even close.

Any body got a '79 guide handy? I was "using" a '73 guide at the time :grin:

and from what i understand hulk wasnt even terribly popular at the time.

Hulk was pretty popular in the 70s. He was being reprinted in Marvel Super Heroes at the same time as Hulk 181 (so 2 titles right there) and 3 years later had a third title in his short-lived Magazine title. Popular enough to have a tv series a couple of years later (sure, Dr. Strange had one too for what, 5 minutes? But Hulk had a known actor)

Even the 18th edition of Overstreet (1988-1989) has the following:

1) Hulk 181, Wolverine App., Mint $36

2) House of Secrets 92, Mint $24

3) X-Men GS 1, Mint $95

They didn't even go into a big detail about Hulk 181 being his 1st appearance. Just "Wolverine app." That doesn't sound too hot to me.

$36 for a BA book in 1989 was a lot of money.

With that said, HOS 92 was similarly valued (if not more so) in the mid-90s in high grade as 181. I'm not talking about guide, I'm thinking about auctions or OPG monthly magazine market reports where I remember reading about some pristine copy cracking 5 figures. Then again, it's an impossible book to find in very HG and collectors knew that 15 years ago too.

3) X-Men GS 1, Mint $95

They didn't even go into a big detail about Hulk 181 being his 1st appearance. Just "Wolverine app." That doesn't sound too hot to me.

#9 (1979) because I have everything.

1) Hulk 181, Wolverine App., Mint $1.20

3) X-Men GS 1, Mint $4.50

Not a typo on the HOS 92, was $24 in 1979

3) X-Men GS 1, Mint $95

Greggy, tell them the price on Action #1 and Am Fantasy #15.....

3) X-Men GS 1, Mint $95

X-men 94 was $3.75 with most of the other run at the time $1 and less.

Howard the Duck 1 was $15 doh!

3) X-Men GS 1, Mint $95

Greggy, tell them the price on Action #1 and Am Fantasy #15.....

$8400 and $450